News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer Total War  (Read 25294 times)

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Warhammer Total War
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:21 PM »
Anyone been looking into this, it looks pretty awesome. :D

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Warhammer Total War
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:16:31 PM »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:04:22 PM »
Well, derp. Feel free to lock this thread.

That being said; weird thread combo. :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »
When the thread started, last year, the two games were so new in development we really weren't expecting much. So, pleasantly surprised faces.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 12:37:07 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 30 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Ah the thread warning, how i missed thee!

Have bought Warhammer: Total War and been playing with dwarfs for a 100 turns or so now. Overall i really like this game and it makes many things right, like the "book of grudges" for the dwarfes, that is basically your mission book and many other race specific features. Recently thought undead for the first time and managed to make their army crumble (quite literally  :) ). Magic seems to be also cool, though as i have only played with dwarfes till now (who can get magic mostly in the form of magic items) i havent yet much experience with using it.

Some downsides:

Sometimes i suffer from game crashes that tend to freeze up my PC completly, though this might be a problem of outdated hardware.

But what is really bugging me is, that there is no real manual, you are left to find out many things for yourself. For example i just recently found out that "agents" (what have been spys and diplomates in earlier total war games) can actually join armys and activly fight in battles (had been wondering for some time why they had battle stats). Also my biggest gripe is, that whole game is over 15GB and yet they didnt manage to include the manual, as much as there is one, into the game. If you rightclick on a unit to get further information, you are redirected to the total war webside, where you have to work yourself through the entire main page to get to the unit you want to know about. This sucks.

But, as stated, its a really fun game and a must havefor any WHFB and Total War fan  :)

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 06:26:05 PM »
I've watched a few full playthroughs on Youtube of it, one as Empire and another as Vampire Counts, plus several shorter ones as the others, and I wish I had the Pc + money to get it, but alas I am a wee bit limited at the moment.

Anyways, they've recently announced the new dlc, which is Beastmen. They will be on the main campaign map (with the two legendary lords actually having different starting positions), and they will be horde armies (like Chaos Warriors), meaning that you'll be razing cities as opposed to building towns by your own.

They have access to "beast-paths", which are similar to the underground movement of greenskins and dwarfs, but with a new battleground aesthetic. They also have a similar mechanic to greenskins in that they summon an allied NPC-army if they fight enough. Additionally, they have a unique ability in that their standard movement stance allows them to ambush other armies.

The DLC features two new lores of magic, the lore of beasts, and the lore of the wilds, the latter of which is unique to the beastmen.

Lastly, there's a new mini-campaign for the beastmen fighting against middenheim, mostly.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:04:40 AM by Sir_Godspeed »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 06:48:53 PM »
I've watched some of the Empire and Vampire Counts campaigns as well, and, like you, I don't have the money for it or a new PC, so I feel your pain.  I know that I will get it in the future though, as it looks like an awful lot of fun.  They've managed to invoke the atmosphere of the Warhammer World very well in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
They certainly did. They managed to capture a great deal of the diversity of the different factions. With VC, for example, you can go monster heavy (strigoy iirc), knight and heavy troops heavy (Blood dragons) etc.

Chaos is also very diverse. And i hated deathbringers when i was playing dwardes  :P

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 10:52:37 AM »
I'd definitely be looking to take Grave Guard and Black Knights for the Vampire Counts.  They were very powerful in the battles that I watched and they were some of the most aesthetically pleasing units in and out of combat too.

The diversity of all the armies seems impressive though.  I'd have a lot of fun playing the Empire on that front in particular, since they have included so many units.  Also, magic being one of my favourite aspects of the Empire Army, I'm glad that Balthazar Gelt is one of the options for the general.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
I have to admit, the game took a bit of a backseat, due to me hammering (literally) filthy Skaven with my Dwarf or Empire Soldier in Vermintide, but once i have got a bit more time on my hands i will finish that vc campaign  :)

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
I've got slightly obsessed by it having complete the short campaigns on Hard for Dwarves (156 Turns), Empire (147 Turns), Vampire Counts (167 Turns), Bretonnia (83 Turns) (using Bretonnia by Prater mod to unlock them) and Mousillon (207 Turns) (using Factions Unlocker and Mousillon City of the Damned mods)

I'd also recommend Home Region Movement Bonus as it lets you have a chance of catching enemy forces (even then they always remain just out of reach...)

Can you guys recommend any mods or got any tips?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:12:23 PM by Slick Samos »
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
I've got slightly obsessed by it having complete the short campaigns on Hard for Dwarves (156 Turns), Empire (147 Turns), Vampire Counts (167 Turns), Bretonnia (83 Turns) (using Bretonnia by Prater mod to unlock them) and Mousillon (207 Turns) (using Factions Unlocker and Mousillon City of the Damned mods)

I'd also recommend Home Region Movement Bonus as it lets you have a chance of catching enemy forces (even then they always remain just out of reach...)

Can you guys recommend any mods or got any tips?

The Radious Mods are very popular. Adds a ton of new units to all factions, though not all of them are equally fluffy. It also seeks to rebalance factions, and reportedly makes battles take longer time and more tactical.

There's also a Southern Realms mod for playable Tilea, Estalia and Border Princes with additional units.

Also there is a mod made by Creative Assembly itself that allows you to conquer all regions, not just the ones normally available to your civ. Can't remember what it's called.

I also know that there are mods to increase max unit size in battles.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 11:49:15 PM »
I'll definitely be looking into it next Steam sale. Looks like they did all their home work and are going for extra credit with the recent DLC.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Online Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 05:45:51 AM »
With all these new Gaw games out I'm going to ha e to buy a decent PC.  Provided I don't get fired. :P

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Sir. Godspeed!

The Radious Mods are very popular. Adds a ton of new units to all factions, though not all of them are equally fluffy. It also seeks to rebalance factions, and reportedly makes battles take longer time and more tactical.

I've ummed and arred about Radious but currently I'm persuaded not to get his set of mods as I'm looking for fun and fluffy rather than balanced.  Not that they are inherently at odds with each other, but that without Radious I have more freedom concocting my own mod cocktail :P

There's also a Southern Realms mod for playable Tilea, Estalia and Border Princes with additional units.

Upon further investigation from your suggestions, I've put the Southern Realms; All Tabletop Lords; and, the Legendary Lord Unique Start Positions mods in which I hope will be interesting!

I also know that there are mods to increase max unit size in battles.

With respect to increasing max unit size, my computer barely plays the game, so I'm currently on medium unit size.  Also I barely play battles as it takes up so much time with my long loading screens :P

Also there is a mod made by Creative Assembly itself that allows you to conquer all regions, not just the ones normally available to your civ. Can't remember what it's called.

I actually think not being able to conquer half the map is very interesting as it encourages peace with the hill civilisations, but it also means when you go war with them it encourages sacking and raiding, two mechanics I rarely used in the previous games. 

----

Aesthetically I've put the Greenskins' Teef Currency and Building Progression Icons in.  I've yet to test Greenskins but the Progression Icons are actually really good and obvious idea which CA completely missed, so would recommend this one highly!

I'm currently considering / examining the Valuable Veterans; No Great Power; Skeleton Archers Unit; Happiness Matters; and, the Closer to Tabletop mods. 

----

Well I should go to bed now and test them another day :D

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2016, 06:33:00 AM »
The "Old World Edition" has been announced for February. It will contain all DLC so far, as well as the upcoming Bretonnia Free-LC. If you already have the game, you can simply download the Bretonnia pack on Steam, iirc.

Will be cool to finally have Bretonnia fully playable officially. The Legendary heroes will be King Louen, the Fay Enchantress, and one of the other Dukes. They've also shown off the Green Knight, and the Grail Reliquae.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »
In case you don't already have him, the White Dwarf legendary hero is now a free update. No more requirement to go into a physical store to get the unlock code.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:58 AM »
Word on the street is that there'll be an announcement 1st this month. It'll either be the last piece of DLC/FLC for the first game, or an announcement of the second game, which most people expect to feature Lizardmen, Skaven, and High & Dark Elves (but it is so far speculative).

The last piece of DLC/FLC is labelled as "An old friend" in the lineup, so a lot of people are expecting the Wight King Krell to compliment the rather lackluster Kemmler, or a playable campaign Middenheim faction.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
I'd really like it to be Krell.  Either way, it sounds like there are more exciting developments on the way.  One day, I'll get to play this game. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
As expected: Total War: Warhammer 2
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/31/total-war-warhammer-2-announced/#more-438653

“As the twin-tailed comet of Sotek made its recent journey across the skies, it caused the Vortex to become dangerously unstable. Each of the four races has its own objective regarding this: some wish to heal the Great Vortex and prevent calamity. Others see opportunity in disrupting it. That said, no two races have precisely the same objectives and they’ll need to accomplish them in their own way.

“The campaign is therefore a race for control of the Vortex, culminating in a cataclysmic series of endgame events. This is the first TW game where the AI can beat you to the end game objective.”
Drink
Knights Tippler