News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dread's Anything and everything  (Read 56474 times)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Dread's Corsair army
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2016, 11:26:52 PM »
Thanks Looshkin. I have just a little left to do on her.

Now, you know how you start something a long while back and not perfectly happy with it. Well back when the 5th ed. DE codex came out I wanted a void raven so bad but only had a description of it and no model so I made my own. Wasn't real happy with the outcome even tho I had painted and finished it. Later I stripped it and worked the nose of over but not real satisfied. I took some plastic spoons and tried to create an upper and lower camopy, wouldnt work so put it up. Then at the beginning of this year I bought a kit for one. I assembled it up to the point the glass was all that was left...finally last night I figured it out what needed to be done. So got out the mold maker and resin and here are the fruits of my labor.

Now I can prime and repaint one of my favorite conversions I've ever done.

Small tidbit. Besides models and gaming, I'm a very active hotrod builder also. My latest is a 48 Chevy coupe. Here is one of my dash inserts...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:28:15 PM by Dread »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2016, 02:12:28 AM »
So since painting is on a back burner for now, again, I couldn't help but get the new canoness model. I've tried thru the years to make one myself and finally, 2 years after I sold my army, they make her. So the little wheels in my head started spinning and my first add to my 5th and final AS army is this Exorcist. Not done yet, have to make dozer blade but anyhow here is the beginning.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:15:43 AM by Dread »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2016, 06:39:58 AM »
Wow thats crazy cool Dread. Did you make those bits yourself? They look excellent!

I want a sisters army so freaking bad! If my Dark Angels get any kind of ally its gonna be Sisters.

Sorry your hands aren't letting you paint the way you want to man... I truly am sorry about that bud. Maybe you could try your hand at an airbrush approach and just picking out critical details? I've seen people have a very minimalist approach to their painting that way and have tremendous results! I know you've probably had a million offers advice, but seriously bud I'm sorry you can't hobby the way you want to. Anyway bro I hope you have a great Christmas!

Also check out GW's facebook for some insights into the Sisters... you are gonna be stoked!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2016, 12:45:31 AM »
Thanks Cav. All the Ivory looking pieces are resin. I made molds years ago and now I get to use them again. As for my hands, I hope to see the doc pretty soon and find out what is what,arthritis I think but hope it is due to one of my meds. I really enjoy looking at everyone's work and tho I don't get to comment on a lot of them, it gives me a smile seeing the elevation that most acheive, whether simple basic colors or the deep intense shadowing and highlights. Watching those who keep one of my favorite hobbies alive.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »
That's an awesome conversion!
I've never been much of a fan of the organ pipes exorcist, always looked a bit stupid to me! I've seen a few with proper missile launchers like yours and they just look so much better  8)
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
Thanks AP. I feel the same way. The idea of the organ is a good one but I think it just really doesn't look right on the battle field, more like it belongs in a church house. A whirlwind style looks more battle worthy in my book and the launcher from the IK just screamed it to me.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »

I just couldn't wait. Oh boy, now if they'll make plastic phoenix lords.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »
Sick... that model is incredible. I was really tempted to pick up that set the other day. I've been trying to convince my brother to give some of these guys a whirl in his IG list... perhaps when I get the book he'll be convinced.

Anyway the model looks sick. Love the base too, can't wait to see it painted

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »
Oh cool! Can't wait to see him painted up :)

Love the post-human concept behind the Ad Mech. It's like in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium...the Borg are the 'good' guys.
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2017, 04:37:23 AM »
Such an awesome mini, and you've made it look double awesome with that cork base. Really elevates the model to 'F U' status!

I think I'm going to pick up the set of minis, as they're frankly awesome. I might have to do Cawl as about 12 sub assemblies though! So many fiddly bits!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2017, 05:36:54 PM »
Thanks guys. About to prime him. And yup, lotsa bits and tiny too. Got ta find some skulls for the base, hmm my poor skeletons are about to be headless.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:38:18 PM by Dread »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »

So as of late I've been pouring myself back into my art. My hands finally are not shaking as much so I've been going nuts drawing my ratrods. Soon i should be getting back to painting my minis.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:58:27 PM by Dread »

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2017, 05:03:09 PM »
Haha! Love it :) are you a bit of a car nut perchance? I muck about with old British piles of rust myself, which believe it or not is an even more expensive hobby than 40k! ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:09:41 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »
Wow, those are really cool Dread! You've got some real talent there, and I'm really pleased to hear that you're hands are getting better enough to let you do your hobbies. I can't even imagine how frustrating it must have been to not be able to do something that you so clearly have a passion for.

Really great work, I'm looking forward to when you can paint minis again!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Wow, they are really impressive Dread! I've always wished that I was more artistic, would love to be able to draw/paint like that!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
Thanks guys. I am a hotrodder. I'm actually building a 48 Chevy coupe at the moment. I got her 2 and half years ago and shortly after went thru my cancer surgery. It's slow going plus dividing hobbies, family and work is a juggling act of its self.

This is how she looks now. The top drawing is what she will look like when I'm done.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:50:10 PM by Dread »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2017, 07:35:30 AM »
Hey Dread, thats great news man! So glad to hear... it must've been super tough. I can't wait for you to get back to the hobby table. Fantastic!

Also love those pics man... and damn check out those wheels! So rad... please keep us updated on all fronts my friend. Also still sending the good vibes your way. Hope those hands get as close to 100% as possible ASAP!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
Thanks Cav. Getting there, slowly but surely.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2017, 04:43:55 AM »
Sweet! That's going to be really cool when it's done :) not that it's not really cool now of course, I've always been more fascinated by a project car than the finished article anyway ;)

Here's what my Spit looks like at the moment: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--DPrHBymU--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/cd9nptismvxgsod0kisr.jpg

Completely stripped and on a home-made collapsible A-Frame :)

Being a hotrodder you might appreciate the general plan for this. 1.3l I4 out, 2.5l I6 in with a cam, porting and mechanical fuel injection. I also saw a thread somewhere where a chap welded the body of his Model A to the chassis and thought 'huh, why don't I try that', alongside welding on a steel hardtop. It's in the final stages of me boxing in the underside then the welding's done!

Back on topic, I've just taken a trip through the rest of your project thread (can't believe I hadn't done that before!) and I love your Corsairs :) Fantastic paint scheme, and the mix-and-match of CWE and DE bits is just right :)

Liking the Shadowseer floating above the ground too :)

Glad you're on the mend!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:30:08 AM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »
That's sounds like a nice set up, not to rumbly but just enough zip. The link wouldn't open for me, really want to see it tho. Thanks for all the compliments.