News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 329845 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #1040 on: January 19, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
Thanks so much Irisado. It was a really fun game... and boy I tell you 1250 pts is such a fun breezy way to enjoy the game. If you ever decide to dip your toe back in I think this the points level you'd enjoy. My friend Brian from Splintermind and all his gamer buds (all hobby masters far beyond my abilities) play at this level and they love it.

Unless there is a total rewrite and streamlining of the rules, I'll never play 40K again.  I'm happy just to read battle reports from those who still enjoy playing and comment on those instead, as it's more rewarding :).

I forgot to mention the Striking Scorpions when discussing the battle.  It was always going to be tough match-up for them against Imperial Guard, given that they're on foot, but coming in on the wrong flank didn't exactly help.  I'm sure they'll bounce back though.

Oh, and Happy New Year to you as well :).

You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1041 on: January 21, 2017, 04:28:31 AM »
Sweet work Cav! That was a cool little Bat Rep. I look forward to a scrap where your bro takes a force a little more optimised for Eldar, but a good win for you and some fantastic pics of 2 great armies.

Thanks for the WiPs. It really is interesting to see how your stages progress. That farseer is shaping up nicely, the berserker too. I'm interested to see the finish you get on the recess highlights on the marine. By that, I mean areas like his 'horns', where you have a large flat red area that you've started highlighting. I've always had trouble making those look good, so hopefully you do something that makes it all make sense for me!

Cracking work though Cav, really good updates. Thanks for sharing!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1042 on: January 22, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
@Irisado- That re-write seems to be just around the corner!

@Looshkin- Thanks man glad you enjoyed the bat-rep. No probl on the WIP updates. Hope you like I did with the horns on the Berserker. I just do a a deep wash, clean it up and then hit it with a single 1 layer highlight of Mephiston. I did similar stuff on the sort of rounded areas of the breast plate as well. If you go any higher it sort of confuses up the highlight system as the most raised/sharp areas are no longer getting the brightest highlight. Thanks man!

@Everybody- Well I finished that Farseer. May go back and add a 3rd stage highlight, but I like having the cloth having a duller complexion that the armor. Really happy with how this guy came out. Like I said... love this sculpt to death.

Also the Skitarrii Vanguard unit is rolling as well...

Also made very good progress with the Berserkers this week. Just finished doing the basic colors and washes on 3 other guys, and finished this one dude. Check him out!

Anyways guys thats all I got for now. Talk to you all soon!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1043 on: January 22, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »
@Looshkin- Thanks man glad you enjoyed the bat-rep. No probl on the WIP updates. Hope you like I did with the horns on the Berserker. I just do a a deep wash, clean it up and then hit it with a single 1 layer highlight of Mephiston. I did similar stuff on the sort of rounded areas of the breast plate as well. If you go any higher it sort of confuses up the highlight system as the most raised/sharp areas are no longer getting the brightest highlight. Thanks man!

I think that's where I've been going wrong; I've been trying to go one stage too far with the recess highlight. When you explain it, it makes a lot of sense. I feel so stupid sometimes  ::)

@Everybody- Well I finished that Farseer. May go back and add a 3rd stage highlight, but I like having the cloth having a duller complexion that the armor. Really happy with how this guy came out. Like I said... love this sculpt to death.

He's lovely. So rich and vibrant. Very well done on that farseer Cav. I especially like how dark you've left most of the eyepieces. Really feels like your staring into his soul...and the void is staring back. The white acts as such a strong counterpoint as well, adding just the right cold tones to a very warm palette.

Me like. Me very like.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #1044 on: January 22, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
That's a beautiful paint job on the Farseer.  I particularly like how you've painted the helmet.  That blue stands out so well alongside the red and the gold.  Fantastic work :).

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1045 on: January 22, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Yeah love the Farseer Cav :) lovely painting of an excellent sculpt. Great seeing the command crew together as well. Love your avatar using the cauldron of blood khaine statue. Really want to pick one of those up myself for something I've got planned, but not managed to yet...

Definitely liking the Berserkers (and assorted khornate headcases!) coming together, and the metalwork on the Skitarii is really nice! Keep up the good work!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #1046 on: January 23, 2017, 07:40:43 PM »
Wow Cav, really awesome stuff as ever!! Those Khorne Bezerkers really pop, and I loved seeing them next to the bone shard Chaos Marines, great contrast going on..

That batrep was nuts, good on your brother for hanging in there and giving as good as he got despite not quite having the tools to deal with your speed and armour -- the body count really racked up in that one, it was fun to visualize the volleys of fire back and forth hah. Agreed that with a Vulture or something added in the IG get way more scary to the Eldar -- those flying death mobiles really hunt down pointy ears. The smaller, simple format was cool though, I dig it.

Real shame the cult mech guy wanted orange weps, those contrasting energy colours you did before looked fantastic. Oh well, if people want it orange then give them orange i guess. Still great paint jobs, well done there, look forward to seeing what's next!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1047 on: January 24, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »

Real shame the cult mech guy wanted orange weps, those contrasting energy colours you did before looked fantastic. Oh well, if people want it orange then give them orange i guess. Still great paint jobs, well done there, look forward to seeing what's next!

Or be like the chef that refuses to sell a fillet steak cooked well done.

Mais Non! You will 'ave ze blue weapons, or you 'vil 'ave nothing!

More I think about it Cav, your minis are fillet steak. You know best, force your ideas on the uninformed customer!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1048 on: January 26, 2017, 02:27:54 PM »
@YnneadWraith- Thanks Ynnead... glad you dig the Avatar too. Really happy I picked him up... he's hard to photo but looks super cool in real life. I'll try to take some better pics of him in the future. Thanks for all your feedback bud :)

@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. Really glad you like this guy. I love these old models to death, glad you think I was able to do it justice.

@Ibushi- Thanks man. Really glad you dig the berserkers. Yeah my bro really hung in there like a tried and true Guardsmen. He's definitley gonna optimize and has some nasty units incoming... Got some real cool stuff on the way, so glad your pumped. Thanks as always for the feedback its very much appreciated.

@Looshkin- Lol... I agree with you Loosh, and I wish I could force his hand, but I work for Frontline and dont get to communicate with the client. Its all handled by my Project Manager so, I unfortunately am obliged. Otherwise I'd be a hobby tyrant dictating color schemes and modeling choices left and right! Also thanks for kind words above man... really appreciate it. Thanks as always

@Everybody- Hey guys a small but special update. Did this Dark Angels Veteran Sergeant for a true friend of mine going through a rough time. This guy has really been there for me and inspired me and I'm doing this to hopefully bring a smile to his face. I think he came out real nice... so wanted to share.

As you guys know I prefer the Dark Angels in their Crusade-Era armor, but having painted them in green there is something really noble about it. Anyway I hope my friend likes it... let me know what you guys think

Also a mini World Eater update as well. :)

Anyways guys just a quickie... thanks for stopping by and thanks for all the feedback, its always appreciated

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1049 on: January 26, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
Cav that Dark Angel really looks awesome, such a nice thing to do as well! I really hope he likes it.
Love the look of the Bezerkers, they are really starting to take shape!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1050 on: January 26, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »
They both look stunning dude! Love your painting style of super-clean lines, but also fairly muted colours against each other. Terrible explanation of what I'm thinking there! :S

Hmmm. Reminds me of this sort of art style:
http://www.spindrift-comic.com/comic/01/3

Failure in translation aside, I really like them :)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #1051 on: January 26, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »
Love the Dark Angel, man, especially the Aquilla. I find a lot of golds get over highlighted, and end up looking too silvery by the end (GW is very guilty of this) but that looks nice and warm and vibrant.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1052 on: January 27, 2017, 07:14:56 AM »
@Auric's Pride- Thanks so much bro. Really happy you like Vet. Sgt. but also real pumped you like the Berserker. I can't wait to unveil all the units for the World Eaters I think you'll be surprised... Anyway thanks as always for your feedback its always appreciated.

@YnneadWraith- Thanks buddy, I really enjoy your thoughtful input. I try to go for a very basic pallet of colors. My main way of handling it is I sort of mentally group the colors into two low contrast groups... for this guy the greens&blacks/golds&bone. With red as splash color... I deliberately wanted to the crest to be somewhat muted so you nailed it. I actually have a system of patterning the colors too where I try to establish alternating colors so each element of the model stands out, but since the colors are tightly grouped/ muted/low contrast it prevents it from getting busy. At times it works against me and the model isn't as vibrant as perhaps it could be... but most of the time it looks good. Anyway thanks so much Ynnead your feedback is great. 

@Lachdonin- Hey man thanks for stopping by. Really glad to see you back on the forums. Thanks so much for your comments on my gold. I take particular pride in that... yeah I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. In my mind I want my gold to look like treasure from a Disney movie, soft edged and glowy, so all I do is Retributor Gold with Reikland Flesh wash, then a little Retributor Gold detail work to make it a bit more shiny again. Anyway thanks so much man, I appreciate you stopping by. :)

@Everybody- So guys with this big Ad. Mech commission almost done and a super snappy easy commission on a Corvus Blackstar coming in... once they are completed I'm gonna make a big purchase for my World Eaters that'll catapult the army into reality. Its a FW purchase and my most expensive to date (not really that expensive really... its under $200). I think you guys are gonna be very surprised. I've never seen this unit used in a game (bat-rep, live etc.) never seen it mentioned in a Tactica, and it would have been of HUGE help to Chaos players in the long wait for the Traitor Legions book. Its super undercosted compared to its Loyalist counterpart... I wont say too much more, but I couldn't be more excited to get this kit. As soon as it arrives and I get it assembled I'll have pics for you guys... so stay tuned. The World Eaters are about to tear into realspace. Stay tuned!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1053 on: January 28, 2017, 03:35:53 AM »
Assault Claw? Brass Scorpion? Colour me interested no matter the answer!

Love that Dark Angel Cav. I agree with Lachdonin about the gold on the mini - it's lovely and warm; almost akin to some of the work GW put out in the 90s, but not as garish!

Cool berserker too. Now go drill out the bolter... ;D

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1054 on: January 29, 2017, 05:30:46 AM »
Thanks for the insight into your colour decisions :) neat to know about the grouping of colours, and the sort of mosaicing where you make sure eaach colour borders a diffefent colour, but the low-contrast keeps it from looking too busy :) ive done that on the cloth legs on my exodites, but never though of applying it to the whole model :)

Oh, and please be a Brass Scorpion! Love those things ;)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1055 on: January 30, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks man. And about your guesses... close but no cigar. One of them was close in spirit... but nope! Thanks about the DA Vet. Sgt too. Yeah I wanted this to be somewhat clean and classic for my friend who's starting up a DA army after not being in the hobby for awhile. Something that'll blend in to whatever he's gonna do and not stand out too much. Also yes! I will drill those bolters. My drill broke but my brother got the replacement this weekend. It shall be done!  8)

@Ynneadwraith- No problem bud. Always glad to talk painting. Also... I wish it was a Brass Scorpion! I'm leaning in that direction for when I add a LoW to the army... but nope thats not it either. Lol Anyway thanks Ynnead I appreciate it!

@Everybody- Hey guys so I finished my first 4 Berserkers... kind of a wonky number to start off with but this was how many I had time to do amidst commission work but very happy with how they came out. I feel like with just a little bit of effort into their basing you can make their somewhat weird poses work. So very happy with how they came out and they look massive next to normal Chaos Space Marines which is cool. Gotta round off this squad and get another box ASAP. Anyway thanks for check em out. More to come! And yes I WILL DRILL THE BOLTERS!  :P :P :P :P

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1056 on: January 30, 2017, 07:56:10 AM »
They look outstanding.  The detailed brass sections are particularly well executed, and I really appreciate the work that you've put into the bases as well.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1057 on: January 30, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »
Superb work. Your excellent application of battle damage is what sets them apart from standard paint schemes. Have you ever thought about painting the skull helmet in a different colour? I've tried white, black, and bronze schemes for the skull and liked white the best. The red still looks stunning, but maybe for your next run. Your alteration of their bases really makes the posing work well too. Keep up the awesome work.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1058 on: January 30, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
I really like bases such as these Cavalier as they integrate so well with the pose of the model. I always wonder how it is achieved though. That is, do you build the base first and adjust the pose of the model to suit your base or do you build the model then base it before it is painted. Are the stances of your models standard or have any of them been adjusted for awesomeness.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1059 on: January 30, 2017, 01:55:27 PM »
@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. Really glad you like the brass... I went over it with some GW dry technical paints as I polished off these guys and I think it really added something. Thanks on the bases too... they were a bit of a pain to get right but it was worth it in the end. Thanks as always

@Dog of War- Hey DoW thanks bud. Really glad you like the battle-damage... it wasnt something I've seen a lot of World Eater or Chaos players really do... so wasn't sure how it'd turn out but I'm glad I did.. even more glad that you like it. Also yes! I did think about doing the Skull dudes with white helmets... I think I'm gonna give it a go... it should look cool especially with glowy eyes. Anyway thanks bud glad you like them.

@Alienscar- Alienscar! Whats up man. Thanks for stopping by I appreciate the kind words. As for your question... first thing I do is just figure out which way I want the model tilting. So I look at the legs and see what the most natural direction of movement is for the legs. Then I use the cork to just sort of exaggerate that. So if the guy looks like he's pushing off with his back foot, I'll put an outcropping of rock behind the back foot to give it a sort of leaping effect. I then put on the torso and the head after the legs are glued to the base/rocks and just try to emphasize that major direction in which the model seems to be moving. So I just dry fit arms, weapons etc until I find a pair that work and usually thats enough. At times I'll add just a bit of greenstuff to the arms just to get everything at a cool angle and its really that simple. Just find the most natural direction of movement for the legs... exaggerate it with the basing. From there just dry fit everything else and make sure it keeps in line with direction of movement.

Anyway I hope that helps. I'll take some pics of some guys before they've been primed to help illustrate. Anyway thanks for stopping by, I do appreciate and thanks for the interesting question. I hope my answer can help you and anyone else stopping by  ;D ;D ;D