News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Super Heavy Land Raider Exterminus Project  (Read 15698 times)

Offline DogmaRaider

• Custodia apud Porta Mali
    • DogmaRaiderville
Super Heavy Land Raider Exterminus Project
« on: December 25, 2007, 09:13:51 PM »
Believe it or not, this project started out as a Christmas present to two of my friends but then grew on me. Unfortunately besides growing on me..... the project also grew.  I started it back in very late November but since it was a Christmas present I didnt want to reveal it on forums where my friends read... that would ruin the surprise.  Please bear with me while I catch up to where I am now with pictures and details.  BTW I posted this project on a few different forums so you may see it elsewhere.

From Apocalypse we've seen a lot of super heavy vehicles for many different factions; some redone and some new ones. While Im an Imperial Guard player with an a surplus of super heavy vehicles (among others...), I look over at the Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines and I dont really see any. I mean yes they can take the Baneblade and dress it up to look like a SM or CSM vehicle but IMHO it just really doesnt "fit" in the army alongside a Land Raider. Now Ill admit to you from the beginning that I know squat (no pun intended) about the SM or CSM regarding vehicles but I wanted to give them something special that they could use in a super heavy vehicle capacity on the battlefield.

Taking this concept, I looked at what they had already; the Land Raider. The Land Raider is an awesome vehicle and combines awesome firepower with trooper protection and delivery in the same vehicle. So why not take that concept but a bit further. First, lets start with two Land Raiders. Now lets chop off the front of one Land Raider and the back end of another and marry the two sections. Now we have a double length Land Raider which sort of looks a little weird so lets go ahead and fix that.

Next lets make our elongated Land Raider wider so it doesnt look like a driving coffin. Ok so now we have a wider longer Land Raider but its really doesnt look quite right yet. The tracks really dont look right. Now doubling the width of the tracks doesnt them really doesnt look right either (at least in my mind); it looks like a brick driving around. Ah but what if take a regular unstretched Land Raider side and put it centered and in tandem with the already extended tracks..... something like this.

Code: [Select]
  [======]
[==========]
 |        |
[==========]
  [======]
I think were on the right track here (pun intended)...time to get some parts. Conveniently the Land Raider Spearhead deal works perfect for two Land Raider Exterminuss (name for now anyway, suggestions are welcome!). The first Land Raider Exterminus will be bumped up to a Land Raider Exterminus Crusader taking advantage of all the extra parts and bits. My other friend is a huge Thousand Sons fan so his Land Raider Exterminus will be of the Chaos variety. In fact Im going to call his project Ahrimans Chariot.

In addition to the kits, I also purchased some additional bits from Forgeworld to put some nice detail on it as well:

Land Raider Reinforced Armor
Land Raider Prometheus Command Tank Conversion Kit
Imperial Eagle Land Raider Doors
Terminator Land Raider Doors
Thousand Sons Land Raider Doors (x2)

As a substitute for the Helios Land Raider Kit, I choose to buy the Space Marine Whirlwind Sprue instead because the missile launchers on that kit look much more impressive.

Ok so the table is set and the pieces are in play. Look for an update in the next couple of days!  The bad news is that because of my schedule, Ill only be able to work on this on Saturdays (we have Gatekeepers to build the other days....)  As always, comments and suggestions are always welcome!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 09:20:45 PM by dogmaraider »

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
Re: Super Heavy Land Raider Exterminus Project
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »
Ok time for an update. Below you'll see the current set of items that we'll be working with. I have pictures of the FW kits but we'll worry about them later when we actually need them.

Working Inventory

Let's start by creating the interior panels of the Exterminus. Now the inside of a normal Land Raider has two access points through which troops or an internal panel can be displayed. To easily make the Exterminus larger, we're going to cut and combine the interior panels of the Land Raider such that we will have four panels on side instead of just two.

One thing to keep in mind is that we want to ensure that the spacing between the all of the access points is the same. As will be shown later, we want the two inner access points to line up just as if it were the original internal internal panel. This way, we can combine the elongated track structure and an external standard Land Raider panel. I know it's confusing now but believe me it's really hard to explain. Just bear with me while I create the basic structure.

For easier identification, let's designate the two left panels of the Land Raider kits the left front panel and the left rear panel. Below the cut details for the left rear Exterminus interior panel. You can see that it's made just aft of the divider on the front ramp. The cut is made all the way through and is the easier of the internal panel cuts. Save any left over internal panel material. We'll be using it later elsewhere on the model.

Left Rear Panel Interior Cut Location
Left Rear Panel Interior End Result

Be sure to save the front ramp structure that we cut from this panel. We'll need it later...

Left Rear Panel Interior Left Over Bit

Now that we have the back panel cut, let's go ahead and cut the left front interior panel. This cut is more complicated as it goes through one of the posts that previously connected the internal and external Land Raider panels. We don't want to cut through the post all the way; let's save the post for a later point that we can use to connect panels to together.

Left Front Panel Cut Location

Below you see the depth to which we want to make our cut. It's just past the rail structure used to hold the sliding Land Raider doors. At this point you want to stop cutting.

Left Front Panel Vertical Cut Depth

Now you want to cut horizontally into the cut that you previously made. Again you just want to cut through the post to the point where your previous cut finished.

Left Front Panel Horizontal Cut Depth

All the cuts for the left panel are now complete. The effect is we've cut out a rectangular chunk separating the back portion where the engine would have attached from the remainder of the interior panel.

Left Front Panel End Result

You want to perform the same process on both sets of interior panels for the right side as well. When you have everything cut, you can assemble the two pieces into one interior panel shown below. These two panels will form the basis of the chassis that we're building.

Interior Panels
Interior Panel Detail

Here you can see the one the Exterminus interior panel's that we created alongside a regular Land Raider and Leman Russ track structure.

Panel Size Comparison

Remember back when we were cutting the panels and how we wanted to make sure that all the access points lined up correctly? We'll because of the locations of the cuts, everything is lined up perfectly. This will allow us to connect the external and internal access points together.

Access Point Alignment

We'll this wraps up this update. We've made some real good progress for this week. Next week we'll look into cutting the external panels. At that point the whole Land Raider Exterminus structure should be much more recognizable and defined. As always questions and comments are welcome!

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »
Alirghty time for an update. My apologies for the lateness of the post, I was distracted by a movie. Just to review, this is what we have so far. For today, we're going to be working on the outside of the Land Raider to match the interior panel. So we'll start off with two standard Land Raider exterior panels. First let's cut the left exterior panel

Left Exterior Cut
Left Exterior Cut Result
Left Exterior Piece Detail

And we want to do the same for the right exterior panel.

Right Exterior Cut
Right Exterior Cut Result
Right Exterior Piece Detail

You'll notice that regardless of the side, cut line is actually just in front of the Crux Terminatus symbol on the side of the LR (the really small one) straight down. It's ok if the cuts are not exact. Where you're cutting will eventually be hidden inside the elongated inner track anyway so not to worry.

Our next step is for the left and right exterior pieces that we just cut, we have to cover the access points. They're not necessary and we'll also need them filled in to serve as glue points for the exterior Land Raider track we'll be putting on the outside. To do that will require two steps. First we'll worry about the large area of the access points. To fill that we'll need to cut some rectangle plasticard 2mm thick which best fits the thickness of the access point area.

Plasticard Rectangles for Access Points

The first time I tried this, the angle corners of the access points made it extremely difficult to match with the plasticard. To eliminate this problem, I used a chisel Xacto blade to square the corners. This made it much easier and faster to fit the pieces properly.

Access Point Square Corner Cuts
Access Points with Rectangular Plasticard

Now that we have the majority of the access point filled. we need to go ahead and fill the latch and hinge slots. To do that we employ the same technique with small strips of 2 mm plasticard. Instead of trying to cut each tiny cube and it in the slot, I glue the strip into the slot and then use the same Xacto chisel blade

Latch and Hinge Slots Filled

Now that we have all the plasticard we need cut to fill the access points go ahead and glue all the plasticard pieces in place. Do not glue the interior and exterior pieces together yet. We'll keep those separate for now. Below you can see the result of our work for today. The inner track is coming into better focus now and you can see better how we're going to proceed.

Exterior Inner Cut And Access Point End Result 1
Exterior Inner Cut And Access Point End Result 2

This coming week we'll start to work on the external track units and start to do some thinking on how to connect everything.  As always, questions and comments are always welcome!

Offline DJBtod

« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2008, 12:39:11 AM »

keep up the good work.
~dan

Offline Tar Palantir

« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2008, 07:13:24 AM »
Good work, very explanatory and clear. Good quality of photographs also. It takes a great effort to be stopping every now and then to take them. Needs a constant person.

Keep up the good work!!

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 12:51:34 AM »
Thanks for the support guys!  Ok my apologies for the delay. I actually had to do a bit a design work before I could post anything.

Our next step will involve the use of those small bits of internal panel that we cut off to make the larger internal panels.

Internal Side - Initial

The plan moving forward for these bits is to eventually glue them to the external panel we have on the larger track piece. To do that, we frist have to remove all of the internal detail so the pieces lay flat. I used a simple razor saw to cut raised portions flush with the rest of the panel

Internal Side - Detail Cutting Off - In Process
Internal Side - Final - Both Sides
Internal Side - Final - Front
Internal Side - Final - Rear

Now that we have the internal sides cut flat, we can begin to see our internal and external tracks taking shape.

Internal and External Tracks

The next set of pictures actually gives you a very good general idea of the actual shape of the Land Raider Exterminus. You can see the larger inner tank tread with the accompanying outer tank tread.

Track Side Mock Up 1 - Combined Outside View
Track Side Mock Up 1 - Front View
Track Side Mock Up 1 - Combined Left Front Elevated View

It looks pretty good so far. Unfortunately the celebration is short lived. Our next task is much more labor intensive but can be optional. To make the model much more interesting and more configurable for my friends uses, we going to connect the external and internal hatches with a connecting tunnel. In the normal Land Raider model, this is already done for you. However because we've moved the internal and external edges apart we have to do this ourselves. Now again, this an optional step. You could just simply glue the doors and weapons straight on and it would work just fine.

I'll try and post again on Saturday morning. I've already figured all the measurements for you guys and even starting gluing bits together but it's getting kind of late here on the east coast so I'll post again on Saturday morning. See you then! As always comments are always welcome.

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »
I got all the measurements for the post but rather than confuse the heck out of everyone with the measurements and quick post now, I'll wait till next week in order to outline the tunnel. That way I'll be able to properly prepare blueprints and such for a much easier explanation. I have the floor of the hatch tunnel done for the regular Space Marine Land Raider Exterminus but I want to get the ceiling and side walls done as well. I'm still debating over Ahriman's Chariot. Look for a post next week!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:04:17 AM by dogmaraider »

Offline The Voivod

• Masamune Shirork
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »
Looks pretty sweet so far. Can't wait to see the rest.
Torture first, then you talk. It's better that way.

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 11:06:47 PM »
I'm keeping an eye on this...
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »
Now remember everything we're doing here is optional. Technically you could just seal up the hatches and not have to worry about this but what fun would that be? After some cardboard trial and errors, I found that the following measurements are perfect for creating a tunnel between the two hatch sections.

Floor Panel Dimensions: 21 mm x 25 mm
Angled Panel Dimensions: 26 mm x 25 mm
Side Panel Dimensions: 3 mm x 25 mm

The magic number in this instance is 25 mm. From the edge of the lip of the external hatch lip to approximately flush with the door on the internal track. In the internal tests, this held the sliding doors in place while keeping them firmly on the track just like the standard track setup.

This is also the first opportunity that I've had in this project to add detail. I could just cut the plain plasticard pieces but that would just be a crime. For the Space Marine LRE, we're going to go with a practice design mixed in with some crypt and stone like elements (candles, etc.). I'm trying not to go too overboard and this portion of the model will hardly ever be seen but still make it look nice. To facilitate this I need to make some green stuff molds of detail pieces I already have unfortunately I'm out of green stuff so I've put it on order.

Stepping away from the hatch tunnels for a second I also have started to think about the track covers. While I wait for some supplies to arrive for the hatch tunnel, I'm going to switch back to exterior of the tank. To do this I used a jewelers saw and very small drill bit to drill holes to allow the saw to turn.

Track Tops - Hole Alignment - Left Side
Track Tops - Hole Alignment - Right Side
Track Tops - After Cutting
Track Tops - Final

As you can see, I cut holes where the sharp corners are which allowed the saw to turn. Later on we'll use these top track sections as part of the coverings. The external regular sized track section will remain as it is. The internal longer track top section will be split in half and elongated with additional detail later.

Next time we'll be putting the detail on our internal hatch tunnel sections for the Space Marine LRE and starting to get the "soul" of Ahriman's Chariot. You also may have noticed that I've slowed down on this project as of late. Currently I'm trying to juggle this project along with my Imperial Cadian 1st Gatekeepers project. This week I spent more time on the Cadians that this project. The size and scope of that project make this one look like a taking a single Forgeworld Ripper Swarm model and putting it together. But don't worry, we will not forget this project and I will continue to work on it! As always, questions and comments are always welcome.

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #10 on: November 1, 2008, 09:03:04 PM »
Well it has been a LONG time since I last posted and with Christmas coming up we need to get moving on this!  Now that those sideline distractions are out of the way, I can finally proceed.

Instead of designing the inside panels, I took a different route and start to put together the outside track subassemblies.  To do that we have to insert spacers that support the back of the inside of the track side.  My internal supports measured 20 mm in length and I cut them out of plasticard tubing.  I positioned them as best I could to ensure that all points were touching on both sides to provide maximum support.

Outer Track Sub Assembly - Interior Detail of Spacers

With the spacers in place, I then used a magnetic gluing jig that I have to line up the two side pieces and glue them together.

Outer Track Sub Assembly - Gluing Sides with Jig

Additionally I glue guide rails that I cut using a table saw that I have to the precise widths.  The inside lower rail is 1.75 mm and the raised outside rail is 3 mm.  Simply cut the pieces and line them up and glue.  The length of the replacement rails will vary depending on how you split the inner sides up.

Outer Track Sub Assembly - High Front Profile

For added stability, I also glue in spacers which provided added backing for the tracks and stability for the whole assembly.  I know its probably overkill but I wanted a solid rugged feed to this assembly.  I also wanted to provide an additional mechanism for lining up the two sides of the assembly; only two original posts from the pices remained after the internal track side was split.  I glued the spacers to the inside track rail from one side to another.  I did this on every side a track piece would be mounted to ensure that tracks were spaced correctly.  I then glue the track pieces on.

Outer Track Sub Assembly - Front Right Profile

You may have noticed that the front track piece (L1 and R1) have been cut to show two tracks.  This was done because I'm going to attemp to utilize those pieces later.  The Reinforced Land Raider Armour from Forgeworld covers up the majority of these tracks making them unnecessary.  By cutting them I hopefully will be able to us ethem later when I put the tracks together for the innner larger track pieces.  In total I provide myself 16 extra track lengths that I don't have to recreate from scratch.

And that brings us to the end of this post.  The outer track subassembly is coming along nicely.  My next step now is to go ahead and attach the Reinforced Land Raider Armour to these track sides and magnetize the sponsons.  Ironically ShortsonFire79, who is also now building his own very nice Land Raider Exterminus, has already provided a good summary his post #29 of his Exterminus project thread on Bolter and Chainsword.

Outer Track Doors and Sponson Inserts

I'll be looking into magnetization of the sponson's and Forgeword Land Raider Imperial Eagle and Terminator doors tomorrow.  I'll post again and the end of the day detailing my progress.  We're definitely back to stay this time!

Offline nedius

• Hulkamaniac
    • Nedius' 40k - 3D Space Hulk and other projects
« Reply #11 on: November 2, 2008, 05:35:08 AM »
Great work, great posts - Just adding my praise to a great thread!
3D Space Hulk, Classic Genestealers, Napoleonic Imperial Guard, 40k: http://www.freewebs.com/nedius

Offline malika2

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 2, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »
This is going to be cool! Can't wait to see what you will bring us next year! :P
Creating an entire Imperial Sector:
Anargo Sector Project

WWII pulp game needs your help!
Darkson Designs' AE WII

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #13 on: November 2, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
There is progress, and i thought i was slow.
please post more.
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
« Reply #14 on: November 2, 2008, 09:27:28 PM »
I look forword to seeing more or this awsome project.

Just rember the little train!
"I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!"

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #15 on: November 2, 2008, 11:59:54 PM »
Wow thats pretty cool. How much time have you spent working on tha altogether?

The_Outcast

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
   Agreed, I will look closely on this. Although I do not play SM, one of my friend is into Salamanders and we discussed some time ago how SM didn't had any Superheavies. ATT, we though about making some kind of LR based command fortress. but your work is quite enlightening, pray continue. :)

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
Really awesome stuff going on here so I'll keep a eye on this one.

Oamphetamine parrotemo dame nara hiite mina
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #18 on: November 4, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
nedius, malika2, Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou:  Thanks!

Jehan-Reznor:  Yes unfortunately I was sidetracked for quite some time.  Now that I'm back on track you should see regular posts and updates of this project.  I have a hard deadline date of the 2nd week of December to get this done!

Lucky_Jackal:  Thanks... one of my character flaws is biting off more than I can chew.  I can't wait to reintroduce my Imperial Cadian 1st Gatekeeper project.  You're going to think I'm nuts...

The_Outcast:  Hard to say but right now I would like total 48 hours.. that's straight.  A lot of it is planning.  I'm one of those nuts that thinks all the details through before I do anything.  This is good in that I don't waste physical resources but I tend to over engineer things.  Feature creep is also a problem!

Starrakatt, Khornesh Chortleseer:  Thank you very much.  My absolute intention from the beginning was to try and give SM players a Super Heavy.  Though some question whether it would be there fluffwise, I see it as essential.  Not for gaming reasons mind you but for fluff reasons.  I don't see the SM armour cap being just the Land Raider.  SM need something that can get them there in mass in protection and the LRE fits that bill.  It also can function as a super heavy tank should the need arise.

Offline DogmaRaider

• DogmaRaiderville
« Reply #19 on: November 4, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »
Never try to post at 2:00 am in the morning.  You'll just end up falling asleep on your keyboard.  Then I woke up 4 hours later and went to work which destroyed the rest of my mind and taking me out of commission for yet another day.

Looking over my post from Saturday, I wanted to elaborate on the tread rails and how to recreate them.  They're actually made of two pieces of plasticard  I've provided a diagram below.  I had issues finding 1.75 mm plasticard;  you certain could build it up with smaller strips.  I ended up cutting down a 2 mm thick piece with the table saw.

Track Rail Blueprint

Next I've moved on to the sponsons.  The first order of business is attachment to the main body of the sponson base.  I want to magnetize as much as possible and this is no exception.  The Forgeworld Reinforced Armour presents a problem when using ShortsonFire79's mounting technique.  To achieve the same result, I had to manufacturer a brack out of plasticard with holes in it to hold the magnets.  Also instead of using the sides, I've choosen to mount the magnets on the top and bottom.

Sponson Magnetization - Magnet Brackets

Here you can see and example of how it would be mounted.  Just as with ShortsonFire79's solution, the magnets can be attached to the outside of the entrance casing.  The manufacturer bracket allows for the magnets to be in close enough proximity and holding the sponson in place.  Four magnets may seem like overkill but the hurricane bolters that I have are of the old variety; all metal.  Given that much weight, I think four magnets will be enough to hold it in place.

Sponson Magnetization - Magnet Brackets Mounting Example

Sponson Mangetization - Gluing In Progress

Last item on the agenda are the Forgeworld Land Raider doors that I plan to use on my kit.  I've seen several warnings about the size of the doors in relation to the opening but I never imagined they would be THAT off.  Using the doors as is would be a crime so we have to to fix it.  I have several options that I could consider from beefing up the exist doors or using the existing plastic doors and mounting them to the outside.  Looking at the plastic door solution, I'm not too thrilled either.

Forgeworld Land Raider Door Gape Detail

After looking at the options, I've decided to create my own Land Raider doors and use the existing Forgeworld Land Raider doors on top of them; projecting out.  I love control and this gives the maximum amount of it.  So we'll start off by creating a template to cut from.  From the template that I cut out below it appears that a 31 mm x 36 mm rectangle with a 45 degree angled cut at 4 mm from the edge should do the trick.  It fits snuggly around the edges and the seem looks good.

Door Magnetization - Card Board Door Template

It shouldn't take me long to create the doors; I'm thinking a day max at best.  Look for another post perhaps on Thursday for the next update.  I should be able to get the doors finished and the Forgeworld Armour on.  This will allow me to proceed on to the more exciting areas of architecting the central core of the Exterminus.  As always questions and comments are always welcome!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:38:40 PM by dogmaraider »