News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pop-up Nids...  (Read 1665 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Pop-up Nids...
« on: December 4, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
I played a game against a tyranid opponent at the weekend and was a bit surprised by his ability to get at me through tunnels and things. As my opponent appeared, he set his units up about 4 or 5 inches away from me. I think this was his equivalent of a disembark distance. I said nothing but thought it seemed a bit powerful....I thought he'd have to start off "no nearer than 9" away"....
Opinions please?
« Last Edit: December 4, 2017, 03:46:15 PM by The Reborn »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Pop-up Nids...
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2017, 03:55:13 PM »
Only one who can set up closer than 9" I believe is the Mawloc, who can't charge. Units deploying from a Trygon need to be set up within range of the Trygon, and outside of 9" of enemy units.

The Death Leaper might be able to set up closer, but I don't know.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
As Killersquid said, it is my understanding that Trygons basically work like Drop Pods: Both they AND their contents are subject to the deep strike range rule. Mawlocs can ignore this, but unlike Trygons, cannot bring troops along.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
Thank you guys. I think pehaps my opponent got confused about the range he got deploy into when he emerged, and used this to his advantage to get closer.
He was as good as guaranteeing charges....just seemed strong. :-\

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »
Deepstriking nids can very easily get into cc when they arrive. They can take a cheap bio-morph to get an extra inch, and can re-roll charges... so yeah no need to be coming up within 5 inches lol. I think on 6 games with my Flyrant, it has failed the charge once on the deepstrike.

The deathleaper I am pretty sure can get in closer, and the spore mines can, but the latter can't charge when they are shot within 3" of you
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #5 on: December 5, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Are we saying then that unless some rule, item of wargear or strategem says you get bonus movement, emerging units must hang back 9"?
Cheers. :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: December 5, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
Are we saying then that unless some rule, item of wargear or strategem says you get bonus movement, emerging units must hang back 9"?
Cheers. :)

Yes. Over 9".
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
Ok, great thanks KS. :)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #8 on: December 5, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »
While not an actual rule, this is how the designers seem to be making all the rules.

TBH, a unit of Geenstealers could possibly get within 4" of you on the setup if your not smart about it... their Infestation tunnels allow them to set up within 6" of it, but if you get within 9" it gets removed. So if you are 10" out from it you could get hit from stealers at 4" away.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #9 on: December 5, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »
While we can't say for certain that there is a hard and fast rule that dictates everything, what we can say is that you should be following the deployment rules on the dataslates exactly as they are written while also taking into account any applicable FAQs.

Reason I say that is that, while the 9"+ is a common method, there are units and abilities out there that have different requirements.  I may be wrong, but I think the Monolith has to be even further away, as an example.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
In summary - they need to show it to prove it and if they can't they don't get to do it.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #11 on: December 5, 2017, 11:21:20 PM »
Learn to say "Do you mind if I see the rule for that?  I thought it was X"
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...