News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trying out a Mech list  (Read 1761 times)

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
Trying out a Mech list
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:35:05 PM »
2000 points...what should I flesh out the list with?

HQ Farseer Skyrunner

T 5 rangers 60
 T 8 Storm Guardians 56

Flyer Crimson Hunter
 HVY Falcon with Shuriken cats
 HVY Falcon with Shuriken Cats

TRANS Wave Serpent 3 shuriken cannons
 TRANS Wave Serpent twin Scatter lasers and shuriken cannon +CTM

Saim-Hann Outrider Detachment

HQ Autarch Skyrunner Nova Lance
FA 6 windriders 3 with scatter lasers
FA Vyper with Bright Lance
FA Vyper with Bright Lance
 HVY Night Spinner with CTM

Thanks.

(oh I have used Dire Avengers in the Falcon as well as Fire Dragons and Howling Banshees. Ive even had a unit of 3 dark reapers and 5 wraithguard. I am thinking of making the Farseer on foot and put him in the Wave Serpent to limit my drops.
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Trying out a Mech list
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 03:36:03 AM »
Take Eldrad he's only 3 points more than a farseer skyrunner.
You can fit Eldrad, 3 Dark Reapers & your 8 storm Guardians into the same wave serpent.

Despite the point changes in Chapter approved I think there is little use for more than a single falcon over wave serpents(1 serpent = 2 falcons in transport capacity), and as it seems you have trouble filling the transports rather than not have enough room for everyone.

Rangers also don't fit very well in a mech list, as they are not very useful to transport.

Putting 5 Avengers & 5-7 Dragons into a serpent is a good option.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:40:07 AM »
If your focus is mechanized, then focus on that. The core of your army should be three Wave Serpents carrying three full troops choices. Probably more given the way the new chapter approved missions are. Take 2-3 flyers (hunters or wraith fighters), 2-3 Fire Prisms and 2-3 Night Spinners. Fill out with Shining Spears and Windriders as points allow.

The Wave Serpent is still superior to the Falcon even with the points changes IMO.

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »
I have 6 old resin wave serpents but only 2 of the horseshoe legal ones for tournament. Not in the budget to get more.

The only use for the Rangers are to shoot someone off an objective then to bring them in or to grab a free one.
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

Offline nevaenuffbass

« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »
That is 5*T7 tanks at 2000. Not bad at all. I really like your list.

Rangers are useful for objectives in cover, denying space for enemy deep strikers and the occasional mortal wound. They also excel at picking out low wound enemey characters (painboy, warlock, IG psykers). The strategem that makes them 6 to hit can be useful (assuming you run them as alaitoc).

I like the falcon. Yes, the wave serpent is probably superior, and better value point for point. But I find that the pulse laser, combined with a bright lance makes it a different vehicle to the serpent. So in answer to your question, I'd start with upgrading the weapon on your falcons.

Is there a third troop choice you can fit in to your first list to fill out the batallion?

I like dire avengers and howling banshees in falcons. The banshees as they are fast enough to be an assault threat, even if the falcon is well behind the serpents. The avengers simply to score objectives.

I'm curious to know how your vypers with bright lances go. I am guessing that they can't be ignored by your opponent, who finds them harder than he expects to take them down when all his big guns are pointed at your hover tanks.