News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ninefox Gambit - a book.  (Read 979 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Ninefox Gambit - a book.
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:37:07 PM »
A book by Yoon Ha Lee. A space opera.

It might interest 40K fans due to the premise. Ritual, repetition, and observance can control space/time. Through the use of a very exacting set of mathematical cultural control, advanced technologies and abilities are possible. However, the problem comes when another system starts to be used. They call it calendrical warfare or calendrical rot. Under the influence of the new system and where the two systems clash, technologies of certain levels can break down, reality can warp, and generally bad things for one side or both will happen. So, the spread of Chaos, as it were.

In this book, a sector station (for point of reference) has been taken over by heresy and the effects are spreading.

A difficult read to start due to the terminology and world building but once you get going it doesn't stop.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Ninefox Gambit - a book.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
I've heard good things about that. About to start a space opera kick (my next novel project is space opera), so this is on the list along with Elizabeth Moon's stuff and Corey's Expanse series.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »
The Expanse series are a joy. There's a new one coming out in November and the TV series starts up again next January.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2016, 05:55:06 PM »
I know Elizabeth Moon from her (frankly superb) Paksenarrion series. I didn't know she'd written sci-fi. Might have to look into that.