News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pts Harlequins vs Necrons  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
2000pts Harlequins vs Necrons
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:32:19 AM »
So, met up again with my buddy Josh. He had just gotten back from a 3 round tournament, where every round was The Relic (which is an event I refused to go to, as the Relic is the worst mission). I think he's really done some nice work on his list.

We were playing with the new Chapter Approve Updates, and were playing a new mission from the book.

My List

Harlequins

Battalion

Shadowseer
Warlord, Luck of the Laughing God, Mask of Secrets, Fog of Dreams

Shadowseer
Twighlight Pathways

Troupe
x10, x4 caress, x2 Harlequins kiss

Troupe
x5, x3 kiss, x1 caress

Troupe
x5, x3 kiss, x1 caress

Troupe
x5, x2 Embrace, x3 Kiss

Starweavers (x4)

Outrider Detachment

Troupe Master
Fusion Pistol, Kiss

Skyweavers
x2, x2 zeypher glave, x2 shuriken Cannon

Skyweavers

Skyweavers

Vanguard Detachment

Troupe Master
Caress, Fusion Pistol

Solitaire

Death Jester (x3)

Necrons

Battalion

Overlord
Warlord, Viel of Darkness

Illunimator Szeris

Deceiver

x8 Pretorians

Warriors
x10

Warriors
x10

Immortals
x10

Ghost Arc

Ghost Arc

Wraiths
x6

Tomb Blades
x6, with inv. and 3+ saves

The mission we played was Malestrom, and the mission we rolled was called "Gambit"

Same gist as a useual Malestrom mission, but you replenished your hand to four cards at the beginning of each turn. But, before you drew any cards, you needed to 'bet' how many objectives you'd acheive that turn (1,2,3, or 4), then you draw cards. If you acheived at least that many objectives, you get an extra number of VP's equal to the number you bid, but if you fail to acheive your bid, your opponent gained those VP's. Very cool!

The deployment we rolled was Spearpoint assault, which is basically hammer and anvil, but you're only seperated by 18" and them angeled out from there.

The objectives were pretty evenly spread out, one in each quarter and two along the middle line.

I finished deploying first, but Josh won the roll to go first.

He deployed the Deceiver and Wraiths in a bubble on my Left flank, with the rest of the force more-or-less on my right flank.

I kept the 10 man troupe, and Twighlight Pathways shadowseer in the webway (for 3 cp), and then deployed in a line along my deployment zone. Solitaire and Death Jesters in one Starweaver, and then troupes and other characters in the others. Bikes evenly spread out to gun for objectives.

My opponent uses the Deceiver to re-deploy a Ghost Arc, and the Pretorions mid-table on one of the middle objectives.

Turn 1

My opponent wagers 2vps for his turn, and he has a bunch of pretty easy to claim objectives. Priotory objective on one of the middle objectives, claim one in his DZ and claim the second middle objective. All of which he easily claims. Although, because of my conservative deployment, most of his shooting was out of range. He did drop two wounds off one of my Starweavers.

Before I draw, I wager 3vp's. I have speed, so I feel that no matter which objectives I get, I stand a pretty good chance of claiming any of them. I get Advance, Capture one of his backfield objectives (1), and get objective 6 (on the edge of my DZ) and another I forget.

So, Needing to get a far back objective, I bring in my Shadowseer and troupe from the webway, to assault his units holding objective 1 (tomb blades and a ghost arc). Otherwise, I swing most of my attention to my right flank, as I want to avoid the Pretorians, Wraiths and Deceiver as long as possible and thin down the rest of his force first.

I leave a couple of my bioke squads on my left flank, mostly to draw his attention to them. In shooting, I focus fire on the ghost arc on Objective 1, and bring it down to 6 wounds. Skyweavers drop a Pretorion with their shooting as well, which was unexpected. The shadowseer who came from the webway cast Twighlight Pathways on the large troupe, so they get to move (and advance) towards objective 1, and I spend 1cp to put Prismatic Blur on them, to boost thier save.

I charge in, kill 5/6 tomb blades, take another couple of wounds off the Ghost arc and claim objective 1. I end up claiming all my objectives.

End of turn

Necrons 10 vp to Harlequins 6

Turn 2

Josh bids another 2 VP's this turn, and draws a bunch of easy to claim objectives. Scour the Skies, Objective 4, that sort of stuff.

Wraiths and Deceiver keep creeping up my left flank, with the Praetorians jumping out towards my Skyweavers. Ghost Arc, and tomb blades leave combat (4 tomb blades came back :( ). Lord uses Viel of Darkness to teleport him and his immortals behind my skyweavers.

His shooting knocks out one bike squad, and a couple models out of my 10 man troupe (the bonus to their save came in handy!). The Praetorians charged my second bike squad, did 12 wounds, and I passed all but 2 4++ saves ha ha, I struck back and killed two Praetorians with the remaining two bikes.

He once again claimed all his objectives.

I bet 3 VP's again, in an effort to catch up. Although I regret it. I end up with Secure one objectives, Scour the Skies, defend one, and Domination (capture all objectives). So, I needed to capture all 6 objectives to accomplish my bid. I'm fast, but not that fast. I spread out as much as I can, and unload my transports to hit him hard this turn.

I unload my warlord and his troupe to go after the Immortals and his Overlord, two other starweavers (with a troupe master, and Solitaire), go after the warlords and Cryptek in the middle of the table, while the 10 man troupe goes after the Tomb Blades, and a unit of skyweavers to kill the wounded Ghost Arc.

Needless to say, while suffering limited casualties, I kill off the Tomb Blades, the Ghost Arc, his warriors and Cryptek in the middle, and 9/10 immortals. Not bad. I secured 2/4 objectives, so I end p giving Josh 3 VP's for not meeting my bid.

Necrons 18 to Harlequins 10

Turn 3

I hit Josh pretty hard that turn. He bids only 1 VP this turn.

One of his objectives is to have at least 3 units in his DZ, so he pulls back his Deceiver and Wraiths to accomplish this (?!). Pretorians jump up to support the Lord and Immortals (4 came back). He tried to blast my large troupe as much as he could, as he knew that was my furthest up unit to calim objective 5, and get me Domination. With their 3++ activated again, and a nearby shadowseer, they proved hard to budge, and 5 remained. Pretorions charged into my trouope with my Walord, and at the end of the combat, my warlord was down to 2 wounds, and his troupe was down to 2 models . Yikes!

Josh scored 1VP this turn, so got his bonus as well.

I bet 2 VP's this turn, I end up drawing 'Master the Warp' and Kingslayer, to go along with Domination.

My Warlord and the dregs of his unit fell back behind a wall, a troupe master and a starweaver jumped up to charge in. Solitaire Blitz 26" right next to the Overlord. The large (now normal sized) troupe moves, and is twighlight pathwayed onto objective 5, I also advance a lone skyrunner up too, just to help tie the deceiver and wraiths down. I also finish off his last Ghost Arc and Warrior squad, with a combination of shooting and assaults. First time I used the Death Jesters 'exploding' shot, and he killed a warrior, and another 3 with the explosion! ha ha.

The combat with the Pretorians bogs down, as the Solitare is unable to do much damage to the Lord, and the Pretorions are tough as nails. I don't really loose anything, but he doesn't either.

I end up getting 4 powers off, so I get D3 extra VP's for master the Warp, and 3+D3 for Domination (as I have all 6 objectives). I score 11 VP's this turn in total.

Necrons 19 - Harlequins 20

Turn 4

Josh once again bet's 1 VP

Deceiver and wraiths make short work of the warrior squad, but fail to kill the solo bike. The Overlord Kills the Solitaire, and the Pretorions kill the Starweaver they are engaded with.

He needed to kill units in melee for one of his cards, and claim objective 5, earning him a total of 5 VP this turn.

Not wanting to give away free VP's to Josh, now that I've finally caught up on points, I only bet 1 VP

I decide that now is the best time to strike agaisnt the wraiths and Deceiver (now that I control the board). I drop solo death jesters on a variety of objectives, and starweavers on others. I direct most of my attention to the wraiths, in shooting and psykic, I kill two of them, in assault I kill two more, and put two wounds on the Deceiver.

On the other end, my warlord jumps out of hiding, and him and his two surviving friends Smites, and then charges the Overlord to finish him off.

At the end of the turn, I gain another 8 VP's in total.

Necrons 24 - Harlequins 28

At this point, Josh call's the game. There is not much he can do now, with his army spread out and much reduced. After the game, we go over different decicions that were made (by both of us), as things to learn from. The main thing I said to Josh, was that he should have been far more agressive with the wraiths and Deceiver. I don't have a lot of mortal wound output, so the wraiths are really hard for me to deal with, and they spend the whole game hiding in his DZ off to the side of the table, same with the Deceiver.

Although, overall, his list was tough to play agaisnt, and his lead was really frightening. Hard starting a game on the off foot.

Anyway, thanks for reading folks!

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: 2000pts Harlequins vs Necrons
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 02:48:06 PM »
A good battle report, it sounds like a hard-fought game. I agree that the Necron player should have been more aggressive. I'll have to give some of these new CA Maelstrom missions a try.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
A good battle report, it sounds like a hard-fought game. I agree that the Necron player should have been more aggressive. I'll have to give some of these new CA Maelstrom missions a try.

From what I've played so far, the chapter approved missions are really great, I recommend them!

I was pretty surprised how high scoring this game was, it was certainly a nail biter. Thanks for reading!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »
G'day Killer!
Congrats on the victory. A well fought battle indeed. Sounds like you kept a cool head when behind. Great visuals as well, mate. Your photography is Micky Mouse. Thanks for sharing... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »
Awesome write-up Killersquid.  It looks like that was an intense back and forth battle, good job on the win.  Also, it's good to get some feedback on the Chapter Approved missions, they look like fun and a change of pace from the usual ones.

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:04:39 PM »
G'day Killer!
Congrats on the victory. A well fought battle indeed. Sounds like you kept a cool head when behind. Great visuals as well, mate. Your photography is Micky Mouse. Thanks for sharing... Pointy ears forever!!

Thanks man! It's always easy to forget the mission when playing games, but always play for the objective, no matter the sacrifices you need to make. Harlequins are a fun force, I really enjoy playing them.

Awesome write-up Killersquid.  It looks like that was an intense back and forth battle, good job on the win.  Also, it's good to get some feedback on the Chapter Approved missions, they look like fun and a change of pace from the usual ones.

Thanks! It was a pretty shocking beginning to the fight, but once I was able to hit him hard, and eliminate his ability to strike back, it became an easier fight.

The gambling aspect was a neat change too. I look forward trying the other missions.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria