News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Alpha Legion and Renegade Project *Pic Heavy* Update: Moved to a New Location  (Read 17972 times)

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
Well I began this little side project from all my other IG projects when the new FW Renegades came out. I thought they were some of the coolest models FW has done in a while. Not to mention easier to build then Elysians! Heh! I bought a few bodies and since I had tons of plastic cadian bits I began working on this from time to time last year. I wasn't looking to make a true chaosy force like Nurgle or Tzeench. I also liked the whole fluff of the Alpha Legion, and I have always wanted to do an AL Force. So this got the cogs working...and I committed to making an IG Codex Force that works with AL. I thought about doing LatD first then IAV5 came out and I wasn't too excited about either list, so I just made my own mix of docs from codex IG. Recently I've gotten more involved in finishing the army....so here is a small log of the project, which will be in 2 phases...Phase 1 will be the Renegades...and Phase 2 will be the CSM AL force. In between I will mix and match forces that don't fit in both list, for Apocalypse or large points games. Enjoy the photos..I will post more in the future...

First Group of renegades....

First Group finished with gear...

The store I got my FW stuff was short on renegades for a few months, so I started work on the armor part of the army. This tank I initially got off EBay and it was in bad shape. I repainted it and added a few chaos logs here and there from the Brass Etched stuff. Who ever built this made sure all but 1 of the sponsons and the turret never moved...as they are All Glued....I still have to give it a dozer blade and some little pieces here and there to make it more evil ;)

Group Pic of the armor done and the troops I have been able to finish. These are all based now since this pic is from a few months ago.

Now for the CSM side of the project....This is my current pile of amassed chaosness. The blue marines were my first try at making Alpha Legion marines. I'm still working on them but have repainted them with Necron Abyss foundation paint, since I used that on the Hellblades and it looks close to the old blue used for AL.

My Hellblades, I got these babies last fall, and thought they would make good additions to an Apocalypse force. This month I began building them and painting them. They are simple models to assemble, and some of the coolest fighters FW has put out. I just finished one a few weeks ago, and I now have a base to mount them on. So I will have pics of that soon I hope. I couldn't help making them Cylons, the pilot models are perfect for that! ;)

Well that's it for now...right now I'm almost finished with 9 more renegades since I recently score 50 more bodies....2 LR Exterminators for the force....I'm thinking of building/painting 2 AL Chaos Dreads for next month....I got a Malcador waiting for assembly since GamesDay last year....More coming soon!

New Addtions....My converted Rocket Launcher troopers

Troops from the Command Platoon HQ Squad

Completed Sgts and Trooper
« Last Edit: July 9, 2009, 11:10:26 PM by Chosen Man »
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog

Offline Sputnik

• Colonel, Best Painted Open Comp.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No rules, just ride.
    • My Gallery
Re: Chaos Renegades and CSM Alpha Legion Project **Pic Heavy**
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
Looking good, Chosen. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.
All the Emperor requires of us guardsmen is that we stand the line and we die fighting. It is what we do best. We die standing.

Offline Catachan Devil Sniper

• Bad Trader Nuff said - BANNED
  • SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:13:45 AM »
Many

many

many

FW items...so much sexyness. Blarrrg!

The colors are well different. I thought it was goin to be browns or greens but you pulled a fast one on me. Keep it up!
You can take over ANY goverment with the right amount of TNT!
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Owner of a 1990 Buick Riviera, 08 Kawaski Ninja 650R Motorcycle
GS for the Xbox 360 now is 10,135 pts

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 03:01:04 AM »
The colors are well different. I thought it was goin to be browns or greens but you pulled a fast one on me. Keep it up!

No these won't be exactly Alpha Legion IG with their shade of blue and green. I changed it up a little to give them their own distinct look, while keeping the theme going...

With that said....I got a bit of an update to post....

IG Forces Update:

Done: This is a look at the new additions being added to the completed forces. I still have to finish the bases, but these guys are basically done and ready to join the front lines..

WIP: My Army Commander....I got the new Command Squad, I hate having my commander fry himself for a pistol shot...not to mention the cost of a Plasma Pistol...so off with that weapon! I have taken the PP off for a Bolt Pistol..

My Current Officer Corp...Yes I'm using enforcers for a Lt., I like the models and I don't employ enforcers in my list so why not. The other one is finished and I gave him a big sword to represent a power weapon...

WIP: The current pile of guys I'm working to get done now. Once these are finished I should have 2X25 man platoons done along with the Army HQ Squad.

WIP: Here are my Exterminators, the main bodies are done, and I got to get around to finishing the sponsons...with a little bit of time I should have these done around the same time as my troops...

Chaos Forces Update:

WIP: My Hellblades are finally done! WOO HOO! They turned out real good and very easy to work with. A FW product under $100 that is very cool is always a good thing! I finished the second one Saturday, and I did a little more work with the silver type lining on it then I did with the first one. Since it has more detail I'm thinking designating it my squadron leaders fighter, and any additional fighters will have the paint job of the 1st one.

Well that's all for now......
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Offline Arkion

This thread deserves more comments.

First off, awesome concept.  Alpha Legion need their cultists!  *Applause!*

Second off, wow, that's a lot of Forge World stuff.  I bet this just awesome to see on the table.

Third, do you have an army list for oh, say, 1000 point skirmishes?  I'm loving the addition of flyers as a core part of the army.

All around class, sir.  Keep it up.

(IF I had any critiques, they'd be "Base those suckas! Plain black is doing nothing for me" and "toss a brown inkwash over the mess of 'em - they're too clean for Chaos! Weather those tanks some, while you're at it.")
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:07:18 AM by Arkion »

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
Looking great Chosen Man. I especially like the missile launchers, they look a lot more "militia" and chaosy than the plastic ones. Not to mention easier to mass produce from a fluff perspective.

What model is that blue guy in the middle of the "current pile of guys" pic?

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
Thanks for the comments so far everyone. :)

Third, do you have an army list for oh, say, 1000 point skirmishes?  I'm loving the addition of flyers as a core part of the army.

(IF I had any critiques, they'd be "Base those suckas! Plain black is doing nothing for me" and "toss a brown inkwash over the mess of 'em - they're too clean for Chaos! Weather those tanks some, while you're at it.")

Actually I do have a list in mind for both my Renegades and Alpha Legion. I have 2 2K list written up for both armies, and both combine with additional forces to form my core apocalypse force. I recently finalized the AL list in the chaos forum a few weeks ago, the renegade one I've had in mind for a while now, and have it down somewhere. I'll post both list later on to give you an idea of how this will all come together. As for the bases and tanks, yes I'm still working on them when I get a chance. The tanks are still under construction so no weathering for them just yet. ;)

Looking great Chosen Man. I especially like the missile launchers, they look a lot more "militia" and chaosy than the plastic ones. Not to mention easier to mass produce from a fluff perspective.

What model is that blue guy in the middle of the "current pile of guys" pic?

Yeah I agree with you on the rocket launchers. I didn't think the standard cadian/catachan plastic launchers really fit the force. Now the Steel Legion ones looked the part perfectly! That's what got me thinking about the conversion, I wanted that RPG look to the weapons for these guys.

The blue guy in the middle of the pile is actually going to be my rogue psyker. He is actually an older edition of the imperial psyker line, Possibly 2nd Ed IG. He is old since he is holding an autogun, but he seems to fit the theme of the army. He looks flashy and if I can get a bolt pistol on him, he'll be perfect for the force. The new FW ones are nice, but I just don't care for either one. I'll post better pics of him later on when I get a chance.

Offline voltarian

• don't be scared...
They...look...AWESO ME!!!!

Great job mate, im also going to do traitors as they look amazing

i would love to see the whole army up together!

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
i would love to see the whole army up together!

I've only been working on this a few months...I should have something next month I hope...Coming soon! ;)

Some of you wanted to know what the whole force might look like...ok...here is the combined list..I'd estimate that it'll be roughly 5-6K when its all done....

The Whole Army

Legion of the Dragon

Doctrines:
Light Infantry
Chem-inhaler
Ogryn
Psyker

HQ/Command Platoon

Command Squad
Docs (LI + CI)
SO (+Power Weapon +Bolt Pistol +Trademark Item)
1 Standard Bearer (+Company Standard)
3 Troops (CCW + Pistol)
1 Rogue Psyker (+Bolt Pistol)

Mortar Squad
Docs (+CI)

AT Squad
Docs (+CI)
3 Lascannon Teams

AT Squad
Docs (+CI)
3 Lascannon Teams

ELITE

Ogryn Squad
Docs (+CI)
1 Ogryn Bone'eah
4 Ogryns

TROOPS

Platoon 1

Platoon Command
Docs (+LI +CI)
JO (+Power Weapon +Bolt Pistol)
4 Melta Gunners 

Squad 1-1
Docs (+LI +CI)
1 Sgt
1 Trooper w/Flamer
2 Troopers w/HB
6 Troopers

Squad 1-2
Docs (+LI +CI)
1 Sgt
1 Trooper w/Flamer
2 Troopers w/HB
6 Troopers

Platoon 2

Platoon Command
Docs (+LI +CI)
JO (+Power Weapon +Plasma Pistol)
3 Plasma Gunners
1 Medic (+Medic)

Squad 2-1
Docs (+LI +CI)
1 Sgt
1 Trooper w/ Grenade Launcher
2 Troopers w/ML
6 Troopers

Squad 2-2
Docs (+LI +CI)
1 Sgt
1 Trooper w/ Grenade Launcher
2 Troopers w/ML
6 Troopers

Platoon 3

Platoon Command
Docs (+LI +CI)
JO (+Power Weapon +Bolt Pistol)
4 Melta Gunners 

Squad 3-1
Docs (+LI +CI)
1 Sgt
1 Trooper w/Flamer
2 Troopers w/HB
6 Troopers

Squad 3-2
Docs (+LI +CI)
1 Sgt
1 Trooper w/Flamer
2 Troopers w/HB
6 Troopers

FAST ATTACK

FA 1
Cyclops

HEAVY

Heavy 1
LRMBT (+Hull LC +Sponson HB)

Heavy 2
LR Exterminator (+Hull HB +Sponson HB +Heavy Stubber +Smoke)

Heavy 3
LR Exterminator (+Hull HB +Sponson HB +Heavy Stubber +Smoke)

Alpha Legion "Arkos Crew"

HQ

Lord(TL Claws, Jump Pack)

ELITE 

Chosen Marines 
1 Marine (+Fist)
5 Marines
4 Marines w/Meltas

Chosen Marines 
1 Marine (+Fist)
5 Marines 
2 Marine w/Flamer
2 Marines w/Meltas

Chosen Marines 
5 Marines
5 Marines w/Plasma Guns

TROOPS

Marine Squad
7 Marines 
2 Marines w/Melta
1 Marine w/CU Icon

Marine Squad 
7 Marines 
2 Marines w/Melta
1 Marine w/CU Icon

FA 

Raptors 
1 Champion (+Fist) 
6 Marines
1 Marine w/Khorne Icon
2 Marines w/Melta

Raptors
1 Champion (+Fist)
7 Marines
1 Marine w/Khorne Icon

HEAVY 

Heavy 1
1 Obliterator

Heavy 2
1 Obliterator

Heavy 3
1 Obliterator

Addtional Forces

HQ

Lord Arkos(Chaos Conclave Formation)

ELITE

Chaos Dread "Baltar" (+Plasma Cannon +CCW)

Chaos Dread (+TL LC +ML)

TROOPS

Kharn+Khornies(Maelstrom of Gore Formation)

HEAVY

2 Hellblades

SUPERHEAVY

Malcador "Defender"

Brass Scorpion
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:44:19 PM by Chosen Man »

Offline voltarian

• don't be scared...
i would love to be your opponent for the viewing factor of your army

But i would also hate to face this huge and powerful army!!! :)

Great work.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:51:30 AM by voltarian »

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
Re: Chaos Renegades and CSM Alpha Legion Project **Pic Heavy** Update: 3/23
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »
Well the next wave of renegades are done and are now in the finishing phase...My next item on the list is a dread I vowed for the spring challenge. I will continue my Cylon theme with the dreads too. I'm going to attempt to free hand some scales on the dread body...so here are some images of my WIP....Dreadnought BALTAR!

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:15:04 PM »
Well I finally got my first chaos dread completed, along with some extra renegades for my platoons....Here are some pics I took let me know what you think....

Dread "Baltar" with troops

"Baltar" The Cylon Dread!

Plasmagunners leading the way! ;)

Offline voltarian

• don't be scared...
Re: Chaos Renegades and CSM Alpha Legion Project **Pic Heavy** Update: 4/21
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
That looks great!

Im currently scratch building a dread so if you want to see it let me know

P.S i love that dread!

• SEIG ZEON!
    • Auzzie'z HQ (Gundam, 40K, tanks and airplane model builders talk and read about models)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 10:12:15 PM »
OOO Very nice. Like the lighting bolts on the Dread ;)
Vin Diesel made a go cart that ran on the hopes and dreams of orphans, it goes fast

Armies: Zeonic Guard 'Zeon's Devils', 72nd Trench Rats, D-99, Night Lords 'Razors in the Night', Imperial Fists, Emperor's Dragons (SM), Tau

Offline Arkion

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 01:00:25 PM »
I think the Dreadnaught could use a wash of blue or black ink.  Right now, I'm not reading any shadows or highlights.

Great army concept though.  I posted a Siege of Vraks list on the Imperial Guard forum a while back, myself.  Nice to see it being brought to life.

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »
Today was a good day for converting my Overall Alpha Legion Project Lord. Straight out of IAV5....I Present.....

ARKOS THE FAITHLESS....LIVES!

Offline voltarian

• don't be scared...
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 11:52:24 AM »
Woah!!!!!!

Is my Nightmare happening again!!!!  :o

Offline Kezzerdrix

• A life lived for yourself isn't worth Living.
Really good work man, you did a good job on those cultists.

Wow, allot allot of FW stuff that army would be stunning on the table top.
If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him.

Offline Chosen Man

• Ancient
Well guys after 2 1/2 months of constant building and painting, this is the result. I have put a major dent to the IG force, with the CSM force coming up in phase 2.

What do you think? Comments?

• SEIG ZEON!
OOOO sexyyyy. Can you do sqd by sqd pics?