News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What would you change if you got asked to write the next IG codex?  (Read 7475 times)

Offline Gurney

• Captain
  • Mood? What has mood to do with it?
Re: What would you change if you got asked to write the next IG codex?
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »
i played a guy the other week who had an allied inquisitor and put 6 ogryns in the land raider. made a real mess of my arbite lines. In the end i managed to get a dreadnought in and tidy up but not after i lost 3 squads to shooting and cc.

Sorry I came so late to the party on this thing, and I don't want to start going off on a tangent again. But, the reason he cannot do this is very simple. The codex has priority over the rulebook, correct? And the DH codex specifically states that a transport may only be used to transport the squad it is bought for. So, to be able to load anything other than the inquisitor in a land raider, you would need a house rule updating the DH rule to be in line with 5th Ed. And if you do that, then please fix the DH homing beacon as well.
CCXIV Cadian Infantry Regiment

Offline praetorian1

• Who ordered you to die!
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:29 PM »
maybe he means running them in there the first turn

Time is not made out of lines. It is made out of circles, that is why clocks are round.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »
or of course he could have bought it from the WH codex which has no limitations.

as with any dedicated transport he walked them in there first turn.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
I'm pretty happy with the power level of the codex. I'd like to add some sort of psychic defense option though that doesn't require an ally to be fielded.

Storm troopers are a bit expensive.

"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »
you have plenty of anti-psyker defence. It normally involves targeting the psyker unit with loads of guns.

going back through it i think the oppotunity to caryy heavy weapon squads in chimera would be useful. it limits the idea of taking a mounter platoon and forves ppl to take vets.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
I don't object to that suggestion as such, but I really don't think its necessary.

HWTs can't shoot out of a moving Chimera anyway, so the practical effect would be to turn Chimeras into stationary HWS pillboxes with extra fire power.  That would overpower them (eg an AV12 vehicle with 3 multilaser shots, 3 heavy bolter shots and 6 Autocannon shots for 130 points, plus maybe a stubber, that can shoot at 2 seperate targets), and I don't think it would really reflect the game designers intended use of Chimeras as a troop transport with decent fire power.

HWSs are meant to be stationary long ranged shooting units - similar to the heavy weapons squads of every other army.  Giving them Chimeras would either overpower them or conflict with their intended role.

I can see the character/fluff arguments in favour of them though.

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2010, 10:30:39 AM »
however a av 12 pillbox is not that good and a crew stunned result screws it over significantly.

for 130 points thats not that dangerous considering BS 3.

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
You would think that, but the fact is that anything that can stun an av12 vehicle requirees s6.

s6 would insta kill one of the HWTs and force a morale check.

The amount of firepower that is needed to average 1 destroyed Chimera in a single turn is more than enough to wipe out an entire HWS.  It takes 12 lascannon shots per turn to probably blow up a Chimera - 12 to shoot, 6 to hit, 3 to penetrate av12, and 3 to roll a destroyed result - and your HWS would still be alive.  Think what shooting 12 lascannons at a naked HWS would do to it.

For 130 points, you get more firepower than a Leman Russ Exterminator, can shoot at 2 different targets and can score, the only disadvantage being a lower AV.  I can see why they didn't do it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:23:00 PM by Underhand »

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »
To add something different here...

If i could change it i'd let rough riders take bikes but they wouldnt be as good as SM, they'd have the same rules as rough riders but cost more and wouldnt get any weapons mounted on the front, probably have a replacement for hunting lance with the same rules though.
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline praetorian1

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
O.o what???
so you'd get a worse unit for more points

scream scream yell yell
Time is not made out of lines. It is made out of circles, that is why clocks are round.

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
how would it be worse, they'd just get a bigger move and would loose fleet. Ok valid point but i'd still like to be able to codexically mount my rough riders on bikes, i'm going to anyway  ;D

Offline praetorian1

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
how bout they just lose there hunting lances

but mount em on bikes with your choice of laspistol, lasgun, or shotgun (them having a CCW anyways)
and a couple of special wpn choices

i don't think would be bad lol

but ya that would be kinda cool

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »
They choose between laspistol and CCW atm, I tihnk they should on bikes they should loose the lance and get both to count as them running people down with their bikes while firing into the melee.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
I know what the guard need.  Stormtrooper quad bike teams! ;)

Fast attack choice, similar to SM scout bikers, but more expensive, and harder hitting!

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »
you have plenty of anti-psyker defence. It normally involves targeting the psyker unit with loads of guns.

lol, well played sir, well played.

However, I'd like something a little more direct in regards to stopping the power to begin with. I've chewed through lots of guard armies with my council ya know....
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2010, 01:05:05 AM »
I know what the guard need.  Stormtrooper quad bike teams! ;)

Fast attack choice, similar to SM scout bikers, but more expensive, and harder hitting!

Well on this note....so ends the life of this post...we have gone from actual changes to the codex to now wish-listing and useless blabber about stuff that doesn't exist even in FW...Totally off subject....On that note....there is a 1 year band on these kinds of post(Which I will enforce!)....we've just gotten a new codex, crying about it right after it comes out is not going to get it changed....Now go out and play with our glorious new codex and WIN....Troopers Dismissed....
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog