News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why the Lasgun is the coolest weapon, ever.  (Read 12084 times)

Offline shibbyx1

Re: Why the Lasgun is the coolest weapon, ever.
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »
Then unless you're good aim, the casing holding the cell would be melting by the Lasgun :P and really shorten the life of the pack :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
As well as your squad as both the "recharge by fire" listing and Abnett's writings have said lasgun power packs "cooking off" when mistreated with heat.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline shibbyx1

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »
It would be helpful if GW could stay with its own fluff though, in the codex LasPacks don't really have that many shots, but elsewhere i've seen the LasPack be listed as having an enormus amount of shots....

This has turned out to be an interesting thread :)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
Lasguns have an average (depending on firing setting) of around 150 shots per magazine while laspistols are reduced to around 80 or so. There does appear to be somewhat of a decay curve though where shots fired when at full capacity are more "powerful" than those fired at lower capacities.

Information from the Imperial Munitorium Manual.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Cpt. Cool

• Death, the #1 killer of Americans
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Then your friendly plotoon comissar wouldn't enjoy you recharging you cells by shooting them, espeacially if you miss

150 is still alot, kinda makes you wonder why it is such a looked down on weapon

in fluff of course, I mean even tyranid standard weapons have AP,

and if GW could stick with their fluff, we'd probably be left without plasma, and you know, imperial guard would have so many more possibilities, when it comes to fluff, IG take everything

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34:04 PM »
It's looked down upon as people mistake gaming values for background material. The lasgun does its job and does it well. Far better than many other weapons thrown about in conversation as somehow being better in anything other than table top terms.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Major Arah

• Major
  • Don't think that arrows are outdated
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 05:24:17 AM »
It's looked down upon as people mistake gaming values for background material. The lasgun does its job and does it well. Far better than many other weapons thrown about in conversation as somehow being better in anything other than table top terms.

Indeed in game terms it is the weakest weapon. i think the only weaker thing is a grot gun.

However, in the real world they are the cheapest, most reliable, and powerful for its weapon class than anything else.
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline TheBigBadPanda

• For the Dark Gods!
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 06:58:24 AM »
grotguns have the same str as lasguns, i think the difference is taht they are assult 1 and range 12 instead of rapid fire range 24 (did i butcher any copyright laws just now?)
If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

Offline Cpt. Cool

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 07:19:30 AM »
I wouldn't think so, its stating a fact (just went over this in web design ;D)

the bolter is pretty much just a rapid fire missle launcer, and a logistics nightmare, I've seen replica boxes that say "warning: contents may explode or something like that"

so off the game board when you think about it is that the lasgun is the best standard weapon for any military force, imagine trying to besiege them on a desert world :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:25:15 AM by Cpt. Cool »

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »
the bolter is pretty much just a rapid fire missle launcer, and a logistics nightmare, I've seen replica boxes that say "warning: contents may explode or something like that"

so off the game board when you think about it is that the lasgun is the best standard weapon for any military force, imagine trying to besiege them on a desert world :P

Indeed the bolter is a nightmare imagine all the time that marines spend keeping theirs in working order.

hehehe OMG they have infinite ammo!!!

But i think unless you had something like tallarn extreme heat the ambient temperature wouldnt make that much of a difference.
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 04:02:35 AM »
About the ammo capacity. I'd personally do something Isotopic, like our current satelites. So it makes sence that you have acapacity cause it charges by itself, but it's much lower than it's disharge capacity, meaning that after you use the charge it takes a while to charge up.

Also as far as I know isotopic powerplants use temperature differences or something to create current (or it could be the ionising effect - i forget. If it was temperature, then things like heat or light could merely be supplementary.

Plus, even in game terms it's gotten a boost. I mean what's a Hellgun if not a lasgun working at higher capacity and running from a backpack mounted atomic pile?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:35:40 AM by Commissar Spiteful »
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline Cpt. Cool

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
With the desert world I meant like billeted in a fortress, plenty of places fro the guard to cool while batterys recharge

And finally the hell guns got what they deserved, S3 AP5... doesn't sound overkill as the name suggests

imagine some poor marine player who wasn't paying attention throw a TAC squad accidently out in front of some ST's, that would be hilarious

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »
Indeed. Sounds like the humble lasgun suddenly has previously hidden power - and don't forget teh sniper weapons.  I know it's just tabletop rules, but it makes the hamble lasgun take a new light.

Ordo Sepulturum

Offline TheBigBadPanda

• For the Dark Gods!
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »
I fim getting this correct the Hellgun is going to be AP3 in the next codex.

my nesxt thought is: "What the ****!!!"

Well, sure, they are overpowered lasguns, but slicing through power armour is too much, it still is essentially a lasgun. AP/STR4 would be reasonable O_o (although rather AP4 then, we dont need a botgun copy)

perhaps ap 4 with the opportunity to become AP3 Gets Hot! once per game?
If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

• Commissar
  • Ancient
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
In a way you are and in a way you are not. But check the rumour thread for that.

I reckon it's not too bad hey. more focused power than a bolter, but doesn't do as much incendiary damage. Ie a laser cuts, a 20mm round explodes.

Spite
Ordo Sepulturum

Offline shibbyx1

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2009, 11:01:29 AM »
I think its well needed, part from plasma and anti tank our usuall weapons have not so good AP.

:)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 11:35:52 AM »
And also we will be paying through our noses for them.

BUt hellguns are meant to be souped up Lasguns. I mean they have their own energy back pack thing.

Offline Kingside_Bishop

• Ork Boy
  • 5th Cadian / 523rd Necromundan
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
I think its well needed, part from plasma and anti tank our usuall weapons have not so good AP.

:)
Yeah. Like, none! Lol!

Offline Cpt. Cool

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 06:04:09 PM »
Las guns are highly concetrated lasers that fire really fast, explaining why we can see them

hellguns are even more concentrated and fire faster, thus the need for a backpack, an the gyro satbilizer (pg 34 4th ed rules) in the backpack, keeping the barrel from melting and having major AP goodness

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
Concentrated lasers?  :)  It's not about "firing faster" after all but the energy of the discharge itself.
Drink
Knights Tippler