News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why the Lasgun is the coolest weapon, ever.  (Read 11771 times)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
  • Don't think that arrows are outdated
Re: Why the Lasgun is the coolest weapon, ever.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »
It would emit a sound similar to a lightning bolt as it flash-heated the air around it. Probably not as loud as a slug weapon, but certainly not silent, and it would make the same amount of noise over the length of its range (the laser flash-heats the air the whole way, not just at the start).

As for a good sniper weapon, it would pretty quickly reveal your position, what with the bright lines of light coming from wherever you are shooting.

1. indeed lasguns are said to emit a characteristic crack sound when fired.

2. They are still used as sniper weapons though. The thing is that a high powered lasgun shot will not disapate in power over distance and will be insanely accurate (unless you have a miniature black hole somewhere) compared to traditional slug weaponary. Also in the gaunt's ghosts books the sniper varients are said to have flash suppressors... dunno how much that helps when you are firing light though.
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Awfully Dandy

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »
As for a good sniper weapon, it would pretty quickly reveal your position, what with the bright lines of light coming from wherever you are shooting.

Well it just really needs one shot. But yean with the noise I would agree with you.

Offline Commisar Vlanse

• Self proclaimed grammer Natzee
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »
Don't forget about the recharable clips. Most battlezones have fire and light which=never running out of ammo. (theoretically) But according to fluff you could just have lasgun packs on a belt exposed to sunlight.
Photons have mass? I never knew they were Catholic!
O o
/¯/___________________________ _ __/
| I'MMA FIRIN MA LAZOR BLAAAAAAAARGG!!!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\

Join SIA GAlAXY! (PM my xbox360 tag!!)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:45 PM »
I hear the lasgun's reliability comes from the fact that it has virtually no moving parts, other than the trigger mechanism.  Is there any truth in that?

Also, the lasgun does rule.   :D 

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
2. They are still used as sniper weapons though. The thing is that a high powered lasgun shot will not disapate in power over distance and will be insanely accurate (unless you have a miniature black hole somewhere) compared to traditional slug weaponary. Also in the gaunt's ghosts books the sniper varients are said to have flash suppressors... dunno how much that helps when you are firing light though.

I always figured that such a device would alter the wavelength of the light so its outside the visible spectrum, making it infrared or ultraviolet.

Don't forget about the recharable clips. Most battlezones have fire and light which=never running out of ammo. (theoretically) But according to fluff you could just have lasgun packs on a belt exposed to sunlight.

As far as I know you can't recharge packs mid battle, you'd have to leave them charging for a considerable period of time like you do with current recharable batteries - fire and light are pretty much considered back up options to recharge with, the power socket in the chimera is probably a better option...
Not to say that it might not help, but having a pocket full of charged up powerpacks isn't much consolodation if you've been hit in the chest with a plasmablast!

Lasguns are a good weapon to have, in games where you look at reliability and ammunition supplies like in Necromunda or Dark Heresy they're the weapon of choice, at least in my opinon!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline shibbyx1

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »
As for recoil i think it all depends on how the Laser is created. If its just the electricity and gas combo, then i don't think it will make hardly any recoil at all.

However the only big lasers i have seen were a prototype for stripping paint off aircraft, but the massive power supply weighed so much i think any recoil was stopped >.<

On the positive side, LasPacks are also really small in the fluff pictures, and you can take many packs (Most pics i see have Six! or more) and thats just on standard personal (Lets not forget ammunition carriers and such if they have them)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »
Lasguns are a good weapon to have, in games where you look at reliability and ammunition supplies like in Necromunda or Dark Heresy they're the weapon of choice, at least in my opinon!

indeed those games to accurately depict the lasgun with its reliability and lethality.
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Cpt. Cool

• Death, the #1 killer of Americans
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
Remember throwing the las pack in the fire reduces its life and # of times you can recharge it

so the only thing you need to have is two belts and the weapon

1 belt full of charged, one full of charging 8)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
indeed. that gives you say about 2000 shots? if each pack gives say 200 shots and you have 10 packs. it wouldnt weigh 2000 shots of solid slug ammunition either which is an added plus

Offline Cpt. Cool

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
Thats saying the gaurdsmen lives long enough to use them all!

and recharging packs mid battle is possible, not including length, but if you had to I'm sure by the time your all out the orginal will have what 20 more shots to say your still alive to use them

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 01:45:19 PM »
this may sound pretty wrong but dont take it the wrong way.

As Cpt. Cool says you could recharge in the heat of battle... literally. just tape or use some sort of restraining device. Think those old iPod straps that runners used to hold the iPod to their arm.

That way you keep the laspack close to your body. and the heat you generate as your run around dodging bullets could potentially recharge the packs just that you would have to put packs everywhere....

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
Just how much heat do you think a human body radiates? The lasgun is a high power weapon and is not going to be recharged to any useful level by body heat alone. The fire method should not work either unless they're given an extended time frame to recharge. Face it, you're going to fire off more shots in the time frame that they're recharging than you're going to get back from any such primitive method.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 02:36:43 PM »
fine i concede the point. My idea may have been completely stupid. But i can see some desperate guardsmen doing that just in case.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
As extra armour perhaps.  :)   The more recent Ghosts novel has Guardsmen using firepits to recharge magazines over an extended period of time. Still bullamphetamine parrot though as this is another of example of GW not doing the research.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
As extra armour perhaps.  :)   The more recent Ghosts novel has Guardsmen using firepits to recharge magazines over an extended period of time. Still bullamphetamine parrot though as this is another of example of GW not doing the research.

indeed extra armor could work too. The thing is that we dont know what the technology is like for the laspacks. so we cant say how efficient it is to recharge them using the different methods.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »
No more than what's been put into them I would hope. At 100% efficiency a fire is still bog all compared to what's coming out the dangerous end.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
No more than what's been put into them I would hope. At 100% efficiency a fire is still bog all compared to what's coming out the dangerous end.

[sarcasm]The glorious adeptus mechanicus have developed a method to make energy from matter. All you need to do is pile dead bodies here and presto energy![/sarcasm]

I see what you mean but the stories make it seem that they can somehow amplify incoming energy to charge the cell.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 05:00:08 PM »
Still bullamphetamine parrot though as this is another of example of GW not doing the research.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Cpt. Cool

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »
Its like a solar cell man, or a thermal cell, probably the second, think about it, its possible, and in the pyhsics bending furture they probably have found ways to make it more energy efficient, espeacially if they didn't kill all the hippies

also
Still bullamphetamine parrot though as this is another of example of GW not doing the research.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
The lasgun is said to have solar recharge capabilities beyond those of the power cell. Which still doesn't work the way they think it does but it is a nice touch in a long term logistics sense.

The Imperium has energy cells with beyond 100% efficiency when it comes to recharging them? That means firing a lasgun at its own energy cells should be able to recharge the cells of an entire unit in one shot. Brilliant! Who even needs a fire?
Drink
Knights Tippler