News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'The Arrow of Ulthanash' 1500 point Ulthwe Strike Force  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Los

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
'The Arrow of Ulthanash' 1500 point Ulthwe Strike Force
« on: October 3, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
HQ
Farseer Sildaen ‘The Starspear’ Sarien: Singing spear, Doom, RoWa 98pts

Troops
Guardian Jetbike x 9, 3 shuriken cannons, 228pts
Storm Guardians x 10, 2 flamers Warlock Destructor 127pts
Wave Serpent, Shuriken cannons, spirit stones 110pts
Troops total: 465pts KP: 3 Models: 21

Elites
Howling Banshees x 8, Exarch Executioner Acrobatics,Warshout 160pts
Harlequins x 8,8 kisses,2x Fusion pistols and Shadowseer 226pts
Fire Dragons x 6, 96pts
Wave Serpent,shuriken cannons Spirit Stones 110pts
Elites Total: 707pts KP:5 Models:24

Heavy Support
Fire Prism 115pts
Fire Prism 115pts
Heavy Support total: 230pts KP:2 Models:2

Grand total: 1495pts KP:11  Scoring:2  Models:47

First off I’d like to thank Irisado for his patient and expert guidance in helping me organise this list. This is my interpretation of an Ulthwe Strike Force. In terms of the fluff that I’m going to use to accompany them they will be known as ‘The Arrow of Ulthanash’ and led by the Farseer Sildaen Sarien called ‘The Starspear’ as his singing spear glows with the ghostly light of a distant star i.e. I’ll paint his spear white. My local store pretty much is dominated by space marine and chaos space marine players so with that in mind I took units that would be good at taking down MEQs.

In terms of tactica I’m going to play fairly aggressively and use the speed of my list to my advantage. Most likely using a flank rush type of strategy. In terms of unit by unit tactics the jetbikes, being my most vulnerable unit at the start of my games will try to utilise the jetbike slide strategy to survive, as well as using the harlequins for a 4+ cover save or turbo boosting for 3+, their main objective will be opportunistic attacks on enemy transports and trying to turbo boost objective grab at the end of the game. 

The storm guardians and the howling banshees accompanied by my doomseer are my main anti-infantry punch and will be delivered right where they need to be by the wave serpents. The harlies will also form part of my assault force as the Shadowseer means that they can’t reliably be targeted outside of about 12”-14” and straight out cannot be targeted outside of 24” this is what will protect them at the start of my game and by the time they fleet of foot to the enemy the rest of my forces should already be there. Specifically the harlies will be my anti-heavy infantry unit as the two fusion pistols give them a good chance of thinning a terminator squad out before they furious charge with their rending attacks, they can also assault a tank if I absolutely need them to. The FDs serve the fairly standard role of my big tank hunters and possible heavy infantry destroyers.

My heavy support is two bare fire prisms which will act as my long range support to soften the enemy up before I get there specifically targeting non-transported squads such as assault squads. I also could use them in a defensive capacity in the late game by placing my home objective in the open but in an easy firing line of the fire prisms meaning the enemy can’t get a cover save and my prism can blast them off just before my jetbikes boost in to claim it and give themselves a 3+ cover save. The prisms can also provide an extra bit of anti-tank if needed, although they won’t be as reliable as the FDs in this capacity.  Lastly are the waveserpents which provide most of my mobility and also can provide cover and a good supply of tank shock assaults on the enemy to contest and push them off objectives as well as using their shuriken cannons to help out my squads.

I started this thread to get a list rating but anyone else who feels like commenting is welcome and thanks again to Irisado for all your help.

« Last Edit: October 3, 2009, 03:28:04 AM by Los »

Offline Travelocity

• BANNED Fool: You never get BANNED alone
Re: 'The Arrow of Ulthanash' 1500 point Ulthwe Strike Force
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »
Hello, just two possible things to think about.

1) your Harlequins may be left behind, although this may be intended as the farther they are the less likely an enemy can shoot them. Also they may be used to get anything that snuck around the main assault to capture objectives.

2) You may want holo feilds on the fire prisms, they are absolutely awesome.
User BANNED for repeated breaches of forum rules.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2009, 04:07:14 PM »
2) You may want holo feilds on the fire prisms, they are absolutely awesome.

This isn't quite as simplistic as you make it sound in my opinion.

By not taking Holofields on the Fire Prisms, it makes them a bit more of a tempting target in my view, relative to the Wave Serpents, thus it could reduce the amount of firepower which is directed at the Serpents, which is to the advantage of this particular list in my view.

As for the list itself, I have already given my comments about it during the development stage, so I will leave further substantial commentary to the army list raters.  I will, however, just point out that I am not sure whether using the Harlequins to screen Jetbikes is legal, due to the height difference between the models, so I would double check this in the rule book (I don't have mine with me, so I can't) before you utilise this tactic in game, although the speed difference between the units makes it impractical in any case once the game is underway in my view.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Los

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2009, 12:52:09 AM »
Yeah I think the holo-fields, while awesome, are a bit too expensive for me to get. I'm also expecting a large learning curve with the harlies and figuring out the role they're best suited to is going to be part of that.

Hiding the jetbikes behind the harlies can be done according to Fritz and you can use the bikes to jump in front of the harlies and shoot then assualt move behind them for cover, probably a cheap move that won't win you many friends but can be done apparently.

Offline Sylvos

• Company of the Damned
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2009, 03:47:55 AM »
Man, Harlequins are the quintessential glass cannon for the eldar army list.  Yes, the shadowseer ability is really good for making sure that you can run up the battlefield to jump your enemy but they only have a 5+ invul that does not generally serve them well.  I see you have a doomseer which is smart cause the harlequins will need it if they assault any 4+ toughtness units.  It's really really hard to use Harlequins well with the advent of so many mechanized armies since they can generally avoid you or when close enough to see you lay down a barrage of firepower that wipes out the unit in a single round.  I would invest in another type of unit, maybe Dark Reapers or if you really want melee units add some warlocks to your farseer and give him Fortune/Spirit Stones.  A lot of folks don't use Dark Reapers (I have no idea why, how many 48" AP3 heavy2 units do you see with a BS of 4), I use them every game and they generally take out at least 2 units before I lose 1 of them (they can also glance most transports with a side armor of 10 btw - yes you give an opponent a 3+ cover but shrug if nothing else is in range!). 

Good list however, I really like seeing Ulthwe` lists that really jive.

Offline Los

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2009, 07:00:44 AM »
Thanks! I'll keep the dark reapers in mind, I've heard a lot people dismiss them for being overpriced and ineffective given how much cover saves are around in 5th edition so it's good to hear someone has been using them well. I decided on harlies because mainly I like the models, the fluff and they give me an extra cc unit while I tried to lay off taking too many aspects as Ulthwe is not exactly known for them so I took them even though I was advised otherwise on many occasions.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2009, 10:12:57 AM »
I would invest in another type of unit, maybe Dark Reapers

I don't think Dark Reapers would be a good choice for this list at all.  They would be a static unit, left all alone at the back, while the rest of the army goes forward, and they would be easy prey for any unit which can outflank, Deep Strike or infiltrate, or for fast vehicles, such as the Land Speeder, or even fast transports carrying an opposing assault or short range shooting unit for that matter.

A lot of folks don't use Dark Reapers (I have no idea why, how many 48" AP3 heavy2 units do you see with a BS of 4)

They are unpopular because if you end up having to deploy using Dawn of War it compromises Dark Reapers very badly, since they need to be in a firing position from turn one, and their BS is irrelevant, since the amount of 4+ cover save in fifth edition makes it very difficult for the regular Reapers to inflict enough casualties to make them a worthwhile investment.

Yes, the Tempest Launcher and Crack Shot combination is excellent, but you end up paying over two hundred points for this if you take a proper Dark Reaper squad (units of three are a very easy kill point in my view, so you need a full sized unit), and this cost really is too high in my experience, which is why they no longer appear in my regular 2000 point army.

(they can also glance most transports with a side armor of 10 btw - yes you give an opponent a 3+ cover but shrug if nothing else is in range!).

War Walkers with Scatter Lasers or Shuriken Cannons are much cheaper than Dark Reapers and penetrate the armour of vehicles more easily than Dark Reapers do, and the range of the Scatter Laser is going to be sufficient to hit most light vehicles, since these tend to be transports or skimmers, which need to close in on your battle line, in order to be effective, so you do not need Dark Reapers for this role.

You could even use Guardians with Scatter Lasers to fulfil this role if you wanted to, and they would be cheaper still.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline stevep459

• This above all...
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2009, 01:43:11 PM »
I like the list with only one major concern. 

You only have 1 anti-tank unit (the Fire Dragons). I do not consider Fire Prisms to be effective anti-tank due due their scattering blast. 

The Harlies are clearly anti-infantry despite having been equipped with a couple of fusion pistols.

You may want to tweak the list to fix this weakness, but as always that's just my opinion.

Offline Los

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
Thanks stevep459, I'm not going to tweak the list until after I've played it a few times but what would you recommend to increase anti-tank? Another squad of FDs and WS? I think I've got light tanks fairly covered with how many shuriken cannons I have but big tanks might be a problem although I would have thought this would be a fairly restictive point level for LRs etc.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: October 5, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
HQ

Troops

Elites
Fire Dragons x 6, 96pts

Heavy Support
Fire Prism 115pts
Fire Prism 115pts

First off this list reminds me of the Bahhakzan Style that Algavinn and Several others used so well in 4th Ed... but I do see some nice and tidy fixes for some of the 5th Ed rules changes, etc... thus in concept I actually like the list and how could be used.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential Fire Dragons and 2 Prisms are hardly what I would call serious AT at this points level, especially considering the meta-game of 5th. It does have some decent Str=6 though and mobility... so it might be enough and I score it as Slightly Below Average .5
2.. Anti-MEQ potential I see this part as almost overlooked as the list does not sport dedicated 3+ armour save denying tools, nor mass firepower, nor mass Close Combat... This area could use work; and I score this area Below Average .4
3.. Anti-Horde potential Doom will help, so will the mass attack potential of the Harlies, and the Pie Plates and flamers... small changes such as a FD Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer, etc could make it just that much better... I do see it as decent though, and thus I score it as Average .6
4.. Ranged Firepower potential It has a real good mix of short, middle, and long ranged firepower... and it has some combo's; so this area is probably OK and I score it as Above Average .7
5.. Assault potential It does not have strong 1 on 1 CC potential; but it has some nasty combo's that maight be worked well. Thus I score it as Average .6
6.. Scoring Units / point level 2 SU's at this points level is not Great; but it can be worked if their used very well... I would seriously consider adding a third as the first 2 are just not that resilient. And thus I score it as Slightly Below Average .5
7.. Durability or Resilience Harlies are good (fortune makes them better), Skimmers are good (stones and HF ~ where applicable makes them better), etc etc... I just don't see this are as overly developed and thus I score it as Slightly Below Average .5 (playstyle could have it working better; but I will not judge the general, just the list).
8.. Flexability You run into a faster a more resilient opponent and your done.. (Mech Eldar, Mech SM's, Shrike and friends, etc)... I just don't see this list being able to deal with all comers. I do see it as doing weel vs most opponents at the Fun level though and thus I score it as Average .6
9.. Mission Capabiliy It will be tough to complete certain Mission Objective games easily, but I still think its Above Average .7 since it can excell at certain types as well.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme Sadly enough I love the theme of the list, and I see the units working very well together... in the right hands this list could rock many opponents as it has some "hidden treasures".. unfortunately this would require some unconventional and serious tactics to pull off on a consistant basis... For local Fun games though it looks great and I score it as Very Good .9 just because it has a certain Character and imagination to it that is not seen often enough.

Rating = 6/10 Some will score it differently; but I see this as a Fun list with real Character to it. I know the score looks harsh in some ways... but its done from a Competition Level with the current Meta-Game in mind.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 6, 2009, 06:59:13 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Los

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2009, 08:46:36 AM »
Thanks for the rating moc! I think you can appreciate that I was going for something that might be a little bit unconventional but with elements that may still be successful.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #11 on: October 7, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
No Problem it was actually nice to see a list that was more in tune of flavour than in all out tournie potential... If you don't mind though I would love to give you a couple subtle suggestions to tweek the list if you like.

Things like this swap.
You have : Fire Dragons x 6. 96pts
I would take : Fire Dragons x 5, Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot... 97pts
     This would still give you resonable AT potential; but adds a wicked Heavy Flamer with a re-roll to wound. It seriously eats things like SM Scouts in cover or any other AP=4 unit out there, and its great on Hordes as well.

Offline Bartali

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: October 7, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »
You're going to have a problem with your Harlies and Banshees. Both will need T4+ targers doomed, and it's going to be hard co-ordinating their assault with the Harlies on foot.

As has already been pointed out Harlies are fragile, and need support. If you're going to field a foot unit in this list, Rangers/Pathfinders, Striking Scorpions and Warp Spiders can all probably operate on their own without support

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: October 7, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
Harlies work well enough on foot as the VOT can keep them from getting targeted until they come in as second wave to the Banshees (leapfrogging with 1 Serpent still works, BTW)...

Cheers

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
Background: .75
You've gone to good lengths describing the sort of army you're trying to field, the types of armies you'll be facing, and for the most part, the goals you'll have as your game progresses. What is missing is knowledge of the theatre it'll play in - mostly casual, more competitive environment, the sort of tabletops and missions that can be expected, etc. Fortunately, this can be interpreted based on what you've described in other parts.

Composition: .5
Here you've run afoul of the composition issues mech eldar tend to face, with many of the points sunk into the elite section the list gets a little top-heavy - though this is also, to some degree, the fault of dedicated transports belonging to the same section of the FOC as their parent unit. Your focus on killing power in the elite section reduces your scoring unit count, which may force you to play for annihilation of the enemy. Your large force of dedicated transports puts you just outside of what I'd consider acceptable KP count. Aside from your tanks, you do have a nice variety of units, but so many points sunk into the vehicles will mean you really have to keep those units alive.

Utility: .75
You've managed to identify the primary tasks of all of your units. There is some of what I consider to be superfluous upgrading in terms of banshee powers or harlequin fusion guns, but it is kept to a strict minimum in this list, and perhaps the benefits outweigh the costs. Unit sizes might have been better handled, but there's a tension between tanks, units appearing and unit effective sizing that has to be settled. With the exception of the harlies it seems most of the units present will be able to perform their function in a timely manner.

Flexibility: .75
All of these units with the possible exception of the storm guardians seem capable of handling a few different roles or overlapping their functions to provide an assist as needed. The units chosen have a good mix of shooting and combat prowess, so you'll be able to make good use of every game phase. You also have plenty of tools for controlling the positioning game. It doesn't seem like you've gone into detail identifying possible secondary applications for most of the squads, you might aim to be clearer in that regard.

Ingenuity: .5
I like the presence of a plan of action, the list seems pretty well-suited to it. I also enjoy the idea of using jetbikes alongside harlequins - the jetbike bases are large enough to help keep the harlies safe on their approach. It's too bad you didn't have points for fortune as well, this could have been quite useful or them! A bit more mention could be given to how the units will interact together, and also to the weaknesses you perceive in your own list and how you might compensate for them [the lack of scoring units is a big hurdle to overcome, it's good to at least acknowledge the lack].

Total score: 3
This is a list that is thought through, its weaker areas are a necessity due to the sort of game it must play to function properly. For the most part these weaknesses are explained [though maybe not identified], and if played well, the list should see good results.

May your dicerolls be better than average.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 07:15:39 PM »
The Big List is updated to include both my score and Gutstikks...

Oh and let us know if you use the list, who it goes up against and how it does (Batreps are welcome)

Cheers.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 02:41:46 PM »
HQ

Troops

Elites
Fire Dragons x 6, 96pts

Heavy Support
Fire Prism 115pts
Fire Prism 115pts

First off I’d like to thank Irisado for his patient and expert guidance in helping me organise this list. This is my interpretation of an Ulthwe Strike Force. In terms of the fluff that I’m going to use to accompany them they will be known as ‘The Arrow of Ulthanash’ and led by the Farseer Sildaen Sarien called ‘The Starspear’ as his singing spear glows with the ghostly light of a distant star i.e. I’ll paint his spear white. My local store pretty much is dominated by space marine and chaos space marine players so with that in mind I took units that would be good at taking down MEQs.

In terms of tactica I’m going to play fairly aggressively and use the speed of my list to my advantage. Most likely using a flank rush type of strategy. In terms of unit by unit tactics the jetbikes, being my most vulnerable unit at the start of my games will try to utilise the jetbike slide strategy to survive, as well as using the harlequins for a 4+ cover save or turbo boosting for 3+, their main objective will be opportunistic attacks on enemy transports and trying to turbo boost objective grab at the end of the game. 

The storm guardians and the howling banshees accompanied by my doomseer are my main anti-infantry punch and will be delivered right where they need to be by the wave serpents. The harlies will also form part of my assault force as the Shadowseer means that they can’t reliably be targeted outside of about 12”-14” and straight out cannot be targeted outside of 24” this is what will protect them at the start of my game and by the time they fleet of foot to the enemy the rest of my forces should already be there. Specifically the harlies will be my anti-heavy infantry unit as the two fusion pistols give them a good chance of thinning a terminator squad out before they furious charge with their rending attacks, they can also assault a tank if I absolutely need them to. The FDs serve the fairly standard role of my big tank hunters and possible heavy infantry destroyers.

My heavy support is two bare fire prisms which will act as my long range support to soften the enemy up before I get there specifically targeting non-transported squads such as assault squads. I also could use them in a defensive capacity in the late game by placing my home objective in the open but in an easy firing line of the fire prisms meaning the enemy can’t get a cover save and my prism can blast them off just before my jetbikes boost in to claim it and give themselves a 3+ cover save. The prisms can also provide an extra bit of anti-tank if needed, although they won’t be as reliable as the FDs in this capacity.  Lastly are the waveserpents which provide most of my mobility and also can provide cover and a good supply of tank shock assaults on the enemy to contest and push them off objectives as well as using their shuriken cannons to help out my squads.

I started this thread to get a list rating but anyone else who feels like commenting is welcome and thanks again to Irisado for all your help.

Sorry for the late reply... I did warn you it would take me awhile to get around to this.  ;)

Chaplain Swordwind Rating:

Durability: 1/2

Honestly, I think I was a little generous here, as I don't really think you have any "tough" units in the list.  However, its not quite a "house of cards", so you get the benefit of the doubt.  Here's the thing:  Nothing in this list has any durability of note.  Whatever your opponent decides to target will likely die (he'll have to get close to target the Harlies, but once in range, that's it).  What you do have going for you is a variety of deadly units that will make it difficult for the enemy to establish firm priorities; that indecision will be beneficial to you.

Flexibility: 1/2

You're going to need some luck to win with this army.  Your Jetbike squadron is too large to easily hide, and without a Warlock w/ Embolden, all it takes is a few casualties to make them run.  That leaves you with the Storm Guardians to claim objectives.  If you come up against a horde army that can shake, stun, or destroy your Fire Prisms, you'll likely want those Storm Guardians to perform drive by attacks to thin out the swarm, which means they'll also be exposed.  My point is, with only two scoring units, neither of which is exceptionally tough to kill, you MAY run into trouble in objective based missions.  You have the tools to win, but it won't be easy.

Lethality: 2/2

This is the area where your list does very well.  Pretty much every upgrade you purchased is offensive in nature... you spent practically nothing on defense.  Provided you can survive long enough to get your units where they need to be, you'll be able to kill anything the opponent puts in front of you.

Mobility: 1.5/2

Mobility is a significant asset in this army.  The Harlequins are the only unit that cannot move faster than 18 inches per turn, but with the Veil of Tears and their ability to ignore terrain as they move, they should be able to close the gap quickly enough.  You're not quite fast enough to get everything into the fight immediately, but you'll be able to bring significant combat power to bear quickly.

Synergy: 1/2

You have some units that compliment each other well, but the list does not quite feel cohesive to me.  The loss of the Fire Dragons leaves you with nothing to threaten enemy armor significantly (Fusion Pistols on the Harlequins are better than nothing, but still not much).  As I mentioned earlier, you have only two fragile scoring units.  The loss of either leaves you struggling to take objectives.  You do have two good close combat units, but neither of them can afford to take a beating.  Because they are such "glass hammers", the loss of one will make it tough for the other to carry on alone.

Overall: 6.5/10

Its a decent list, but not quite "competitive" by my standards.  I think the easiest fix would be to make the list more durable.  To do that, I'd drop some jetbikes, but give the remainder of that squad an Embolden Warlock to keep them from running away prematurely.  I'd give the Farseer Spirit Stones and Fortune, to make the Howling Banshees tougher.  I'd also bump that squad up to full strength (10).  Lastly, I'd think about upgrading the Fire Prisms.  Spirit Stones at a minimum, Holo-Fields if you could manage it.

Most likely you will not be able to afford everything I suggested without increasing your points limit.  However, a few tweaks here and there would make the list more durable, which would be enough to make it more competitive.

C.S.
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.