News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin War Walker?  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Mister_X

• Nobody here but us llamas
Harlequin War Walker?
« on: August 2, 2003, 08:29:30 PM »
Harlie wraithlords seem to bring up really strong emotions.  I've got a few skeptical local players, so instead of taking one (they didn't even dig the 'modelled as a piloted walker' approach) I figured I'd VDR up a little fire support vehicle to take its' place.

Harlequin Stalker

The harlequins are incurable wanderers, drifting through the cities and craftworlds of their brethren as unpredictably as they appear on the battlefield.  Along their way the often acquire Eldar equipment--sometimes salvaged wrecks, often well-maintained military craft "liberated" from their owners.  Death Jesters in particular tend to be fond of tinkering, and the sight of a a skull-grinned figure piloting a graceful, psychedelic machine is becoming more and more common throughout the webway and the galaxy as a whole.

FOC Slot - Elites
Pts/model - 66
Armor 10/10/10
WS 3
BS 4
S 4
A 2
I 4

Weapons - Two Shrieker cannons

OPTIONS

Either or both shrieker cannon may be upgraded to one of the following weapons at the points cost indicated:
shuriken cannon +5
bright lance +10
twin-linked shrieker cannon +10
Eldar missile launcher +15

The stalker may be given a holofield for +20 points or a front-facing Eldar force field for +25 points.  The force field gives the vehicle a 4+ invulnerable save versus all glancing and penetrating hits taken from the front 90 degree arc.

The stalker's feet may be equipped with monofilament blades for +12 points.  This allows the walker to ignore armor saves in close combat.

The pilot may be enclosed in an armored crystalline bubble for +5 points.  This makes the stalker count as a close-topped vehicle for damage purposes.

SPECIAL RULES

Agile - Despite their usual mechanical ineptitude, the Harlequins have somehow managed to slightly improve on the war walker's design.  A stalker can move up to 6" and fire both of its' guns or move up to 12" and fire one.

Open-topped - The stalker is an open-topped vehicle.

---

I tried coming up with something similar a few months back but I messed up the VDR.  I figured the shrieker's cost as 5 points less than a Shuriken cannon (per the army list) and paid the BS4 prices.

Now I've got to figure out how to get a Jester into a walker seat...

X
« Last Edit: August 2, 2003, 10:53:43 PM by Mister_X »

Offline Von Lazuli

• What happened to my hat?!
Re:Harlequin War Walker?
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2003, 08:34:48 PM »
Very nice work Mr. X!

I think that we could incorparate this into Rasmus's rules (nudge, nudge). I particually like the monofilament blades....
If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

Offline Mister_X

« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2003, 05:18:34 PM »
Why, thank you.  Does anyone know how tall the Eldar Titans are?  I was thinking about using one (hopefully the old phantom) to make this thing.  

I've got a VDR Q.  So answer me PDQ, U MFs.  Ah, acronym humor.  Always gets me.  Anyhoo.

This is an Elites slot because I figured walkers and dreads counted as small vehicles.  Normal size is listed as rhino & chimera dimensions, small are 3-4" square (I think the war walker's 3 1/2" tall).  Looking back over it, I see the Berzerker dread featured in the article is marked normal sized & occupies an HS slot.  So which is correct?

TL shrieker cannons vs. guard...that's right, mon-keigh, move your models a little closer together.

X
« Last Edit: August 3, 2003, 05:27:31 PM by Mister_X »

Offline Von Lazuli

• What happened to my hat?!
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2003, 07:26:58 AM »
Regarding the use of Titans, the phantom is 22" tall(if I remember right) compared to the 4" tall Wraithlord... So a bit big.

Also I would keep the vehicle in the same slot as DJ's are (elites in the GW list and HS in Rasmus's).
If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2003, 10:07:01 AM »
I'm sorry, but this is not really very much like a Harlequin.

#1:
Monofilament blades?  Monofilament is a structure used for tying people down or for example on the Harlequins Kiss.  It is not strong enough to hold a consistent blade-like shape.

#2: S4?  I'm sorry, but Harlequins really should be S3, even if in walker form, to represent the fact that it is agile and as such should have something detracted.

#3: WS3?  Death Jesters have WS6.  Harlequins are not going to construct something that throws into the air the entire element of their strategy--CC.  This brings up another point: Harlequins will be overpowered if they have high-powered firepower like this.  It is just not like them and in addition will be overpowering.

The problem is that in the end this thing is just not  as good as 3  DJs, so normally it will not be taken.

If you disagree feel free to explain.

Offline Mister_X

« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2003, 08:48:48 PM »
#1:
Monofilament blades?  Monofilament is a structure used for tying people down or for example on the Harlequins Kiss.  It is not strong enough to hold a consistent blade-like shape.

One of Gaunt's Ghosts has a monofilament knife.  it couts as a power weapon.

Monomolecular edge blades might be a better term.

#2: S4?  I'm sorry, but Harlequins really should be S3, even if in walker form, to represent the fact that it is agile and as such should have something detracted.

It's the walker that's doing the attacking.  The Jester's busy driving it.  Besides, it's VDR.  There was no option to boost the strength.

#3: WS3?  Death Jesters have WS6.  Harlequins are not going to construct something that throws into the air the entire element of their strategy--CC.  This brings up another point: Harlequins will be overpowered if they have high-powered firepower like this.  It is just not like them and in addition will be overpowering.

They used to be able to have Land Raiders and other heavy vehicles.  I know I'm just some dude on a forum, but I think it's very like Harlequins to coopt a little bit of Eldar equipment.  And, as anyone who's used them will attest, an AV10 walker isn't really overpowered, even if it's got a holofield.  

As for the WS, again, it's the walker, which won't be as swift as a harlie (the harlie wraithlord's only WS4).  It's kicking its' opponents, not performing an unearthly dervish whirl of violence.  Plus, as above, the VDR doesn't give rules for increasing the base characteristics.  I'm sorta pushing it by giving the walker BS4, but you pay extra for that so I think it's fair.

The problem is that in the end this thing is just not  as good as 3  DJs, so normally it will not be taken.

That may be.  But it's pretty mobile and, depending on conditions, more survivable than 2 of them, which is about how much it's going to cost.  It's an idea, I haven't tested it out yet but I'm going to ($30 for a walker model?  Aw, hell).  If anyone else wants to try it out, it's just as legal as the harlie list (opponent's permission required).  I thought it'd be a neat option.  If it sucks, no one will use it.  If it's too good, we should keep it out of the list.  But you might want to give it a chance, if only to prove what a chump I am.  

X

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
« Reply #6 on: August 4, 2003, 09:55:58 PM »
One of gaunts Ghosts use inferior Mon-Keigh technology, I like the edge blades idea better.

Even if VDRs do not support it, that does not mean that you should make it S3.  That seems much more in character, either that or S5 or something higher.  S4 is just too much in the middle to me.

I think I can get people to disagree with you about AV10 walkers, think Killer Kans/Warwalkers with Starcannons.

Actually with a Targetter you can get BS4, and you might as well stretch the VDRs, there is nothing for you to really lose.

I will give it a chance.  My point is that it can get extremely expensive, and may make the Harlequins so that they have the ability to be focused on long range, which we must avoid.  I will reply with new data later!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 04:10:15 AM »
I think that as far as VDR-construct this is a good idea, but as for a Harlequin thing it is not.
You could make a supertank usingthe VDR, paint it pink and say "It's for the Harlequins2 and even though it would be legal, it would not fit with the fluff. Neither does this, I fear.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Mister_X

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 08:42:00 AM »
I think that as far as VDR-construct this is a good idea, but as for a Harlequin thing it is not.

Why's it so unfluffy?  I mean, obviously, there's no fluff saying they use war walkers, but there's no fluff saying they use wraithlords, either (Rogue Trader-era eldar dreads are sorta different from wraithlords, no?).

I'm not trying to be a pain, you probably have good reasons.  I just always thought the harlies should have access to war walkers and sentinels if they can get hold of land raiders.

X

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 09:00:50 AM »
Why's it so unfluffy?  I mean, obviously, there's no fluff saying they use war walkers, but there's no fluff saying they use wraithlords, either (Rogue Trader-era eldar dreads are sorta different from wraithlords, no?).
  There were no Wraithlords as such in the RT-days, and the closest (Spiritwalkers) were available to the Harlequins. There were only dreadnoughts and robots, both of which were available to the Harlequins. The same in 2nd ed, sans Robots, since they didn't make the transition. Warwalkers have been around since RT as well, but Harlequins have never made use of them.
   All they have (not looted) are to be used in their performaces too. What would a warwalker do, incidentally? Hold the curtains up? :)

Offline Mister_X

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 03:44:01 PM »
  All they have (not looted) are to be used in their performaces too. What would a warwalker do, incidentally? Hold the curtains up? :)

"Behold the Emaciatrix!  Tallest, thinnest daemon of Slaanesh!"  

Offline fai'isscah

• ska-core is the pinnacle of human creation
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 03:45:13 PM »
it would be nice if harlequins could loot vehicles again, would't it? every time i see my friend's space wolves land raider i can do nothing but imagine how would it look painted in lily...(mmmmh... wait a sec... isn't it a slaanesh land raider?)
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 03:45:52 PM »
With a DeathJester strapped to its torso... :)
The Wraithlord could do that though.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 03:50:55 PM »
it would be nice if harlequins could loot vehicles again, would't it? every time i see my friend's space wolves land raider i can do nothing but imagine how would it look painted in lily...(mmmmh... wait a sec... isn't it a slaanesh land raider?)
There are rules for looted vehicles both in the Harlequin section here at EO and also in the revision we have made. Check them out. Get your mates to try them out. I have a pink leman russ. *bliss!*

Offline Mister_X

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2003, 04:55:53 PM »
With a DeathJester strapped to its torso... :)
The Wraithlord could do that though.

No, the wraithlords play Encephalothrax, foul daemon of the massive noggin.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2003, 05:02:48 AM »
Ah, of course! The classic. I always forget the classics!  ;D

Offline Mister_X

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2003, 05:57:43 AM »
Ah, of course! The classic. I always forget the classics!  ;D

How could you forget the Masque of of the Skrauhnni Bihghedds?  You're supposed to be the moderator here, man!

X

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 07:07:48 AM »
I will hang my head in shame for two minutes as penance for this, and also lock this thread, as it seems we have run out of constructive things to say, and are just OTing now.

*click!*