News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tale of 5 Gamers - 2010  (Read 30775 times)

Offline kototama

• There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers
Re: Tale of 5 Gamers - 2010
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2010, 06:50:57 PM »
What he hasn't quite shown you Semaj_14, is the rest of the left hand cabinet which is full of super heavys such as a warhound, a macharius, at least one baneblade, plus a few other bits. All in all, there is so much nurgly chaos traitor guard and marine stuff in there that sometimes I'm sure I feel the presence of grandfather nurgle lurking in there.  Lijah_cuu, you ever totaled that lot up points wise?

A couple of weeks ago, the five of us met for what was probably the final TOFG gathering (maybe one more to go, none of us have played our armies at 1500pts [well, those of us that have actually finished 1500pts]). We've abandoned the empires rule system which was taking most of the day to do for little gain and left little time for gaming. As a self contained game, it is great but for what we were trying to achieve I don't (IMO) think it worked, so a couple of weeks ago we got together armed with 1000pt armies. I can't remember most of the details as I ended up quite ill that day. We played the games on 4x4 tables which made 1000pts a side quite interesting. I started playing Chris while Dakota took on Lijah_cuu.

I can't remember what Chris fielded exactly, but it was something like:

HQ: Iron hand straken with a command squad in a vendetta
FAST: hellhound
TROOPS: 2 x penal squads, plus an infantry squad of some description
and there was a chimera/predator thingy in there as well.

My 1000pts consisted of:
HQ: necron lord + resurection orb, phylactory, phase shifter
TROOPS: 2 x 12 warriors
FAST: 3 x wraiths + 10 x scarab swarms + 2 x destroyers

Our table (now I look at the photo) was a bit devoid of scenery:

The game was annihilation, I can't remember the deployment options. I deployed my lord and both warrior squads in the building on the left, the destroyers in cover behind the wall at the front and the scarabs and wraiths came straight on and steamed across the table anxious to get stuck in. Chris put his infantry squad in cover at the back of the table. The hellhound came on and headed for my warriors, the vendetta came on and headed for the destroyers and dropped straken and his lads (the happening of which is pictured above, Chris carefully lining them up for some slicing and dicing). Chris will have to correct me but I think the order of events is roughly: my destroyers hit the hellhound and took out the heavy flamer, the penal troops advanced on my combined warriors and got cut down, I charged straken with my wraiths who subsequently chopped him and his command squad to pieces, and the scarabs swarmed over the vendetta and eventually overwhelmed it, can't remember whether it was destroyed or not. I think towards the end, Chris only had the infantry squad left (I killed the hellhound via the warriors and cannot remember what happened to the chimera). Towards the end, things looked like this:

An unusually comprehensive win for me and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it (Sorry Chris). In fairness, Chris forgot some of the abilities of the valkyrie which may have made a difference but for me it was such a pleasure to have necron units other than warriors and a lord that I enjoyed it.

Next, I played Dakota, necron vs necron. I used the same list as above, Dakota had something along the lines of:

HQ: necron destroyer lord + warscythe, necron lord+phylactory
TROOPS: 2 x warrior squads
FAST: wraith + 3 x destroyers

We played on the same table and the mission was capture and control. Again I can't remember the deployment conditions. After initial deployment, the table looked like:

Fearing his destroyer lord, I deployed the warriors and lord in the cover at the front, Dakota put one warrior squad in the cover Chris's infantry squad sulked in during the previous game, his lord and the other warrior squad advanced up the side of the table. I moved my destroyers and wraiths up to the building on the left, and my scarabs up the right intending to intercept and hold up the lord and warriors there. Dakota's destroyer lord and destroyers formed a squad and entered the building on the left. Fearing the destroyer lord ad hit scythe, I charged the wraiths in while the destroyers sniped the warrior squad and lord on the other side of the table before the scarabs charged them. The scarabs did their job and held the lord and warriors up for most of the game, they killed very little but did keep that unit tied up. Surprisingly the wraiths lasted more than a turn and eventually killed the destroyer lord though it cost all three of them and both of my destroyers. Dakota killed off the scarabs and moved his other lord and warrior squad over the objective in the middle of the table, while his destroyers charged in to contest my objective. Fortunately for me, on the last turn, I was able to get rid of  the destroyers. In the end, the game finished a draw. One interesting point, at the end, we both had a destroyer lord and two squads of warriors left. Another good game though I was lucky to get a draw, Dakota outplayed me.

I've no idea who won Dakota's game against Lijah_cuu, or Chris's game against Lijah_cuu. The last game of the day was Chris taking on Albion which I remember Albion winning but have no idea what he fielded or how the game went. I snapped off a couple of pictures of the other 3 games which I'll have to leave the others to comment on:

Chris vs Lijah_cuu:

Dakota vs Lijah_cuu:

This seems to be the only picture I have of Chris vs Albion, and most of Albions army appears to be missing:

We may meet and do some 1500pt games to round things off but I think our tale this year is finished. We are now looking at moving on to something that grabbed our attention at salute this year, namely pirates. A couple of us bought the excellent ruleset Legend of the High Seas and are starting to buy up stocks of balsa wood for building small pirate ships. In the meantime, I've started building an armoured battlegroup. Everyone else has built large tanky armies and I'm feeling left out so I've planned a 3000pt armoured battlegroup:

It will consist of 2 LR vanquishers (one of which is Obadiah), 2 LR conquerors, 2 LR exterminators, 1 LR eradicator, 1 LR executioner, 1 LR standard (Grace of the throne), a basilisk, 2 hydras, a bombard (counting as a colossus), a destroyer and an optional manticore. I decided to scratch build the hydras using a chimera/russ cross with punishers for the a/c:

and having built the things now don't like them so I'm redesigning the turrents. I wanted an enclosed compartment for the basilisk but didn't want to pay £50 for the forge world one so decided to scratch build one of those as well:

This is part painted and will be in the DKK plasma burst scheme when finished. I cocked up the rear door though and put the hinges too low so the door does not lay flat when open. I'll have to pretend it jacks the back up like a bracing plough.

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
Re: Tale of 5 Gamers - 2010
« Reply #261 on: June 24, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »
well atleast you all got the work done that you wanted to do on your armies. GOOD GOLLY thats a lot of tanks. Just in time for spearhead no doubt!
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"