News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bonesinger rules  (Read 9743 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Bonesinger rules
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »
That healing isn't just Vehicles but those massive wraithknights too, gonna have 3 around 1 Knight and see what happens. :)

210pts to heal 3 d3 wounds a turn? 

I think it would have been fine to let it Smite and heal.

It is a cheap way to fill out a brigade elites slots.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline gangrel767

• "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
That healing isn't just Vehicles but those massive wraithknights too, gonna have 3 around 1 Knight and see what happens. :)

210pts to heal 3 d3 wounds a turn? 

I think it would have been fine to let it Smite and heal.

It is a cheap way to fill out a brigade elites slots.

A unit can only be healed by this once per turn - so 3d3 spread over 3 targets not the same one.
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity" - Maximus Meridius

Check out Veterans of the Long War Podcast -
https://www.facebook.com/VeteransOfTheLongWar

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
1 Bonesinger is basically going to heal an average of 40ish points of Wraithknight per turn (assuming it heals 2 wounds and each wound is worth about 20 points of Wraithknight) and so from a defensive perspective may "pay for itself" within 2 turns. A Wraithknight is also somewhat more likely to be wounded without being killed, unlike many vehicles.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Dageran

• Armies: Eldar Wraiths
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »
I think the real benefit of a Bonesinger isn't just to lump wounds back on as much as it is to buff a degrading profile without spending CP. Since this is a guaranteed effect in the psychic phase (no rolls, no opportunity to deny), there's a huge amount of flex to catch your opponent by surprise.

With the Iyanden craftworld rules, you could have a Wraithlord on 1-2 Wounds, or a Wraithknight on 5W remaining. Even adding a single wound back would put either back at their full profile for a full round of attacks.

I'd consider a Bonesinger as a 70pt safe-smiting model, that doubles as a way to force your opponent to over-commit to killing specific units. (Leaving an Iyanden vehicle alive with a few wounds remaining becomes a terrible idea with a nearby bonesinger, since a singer is almost guaranteed to bump it back up at least one profile.)

Offline MechTau

• Eldar for the Eldar God!
  • Armies: Tau, Eldar
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »
I have question.

Can Bonesinger heal if he fails a psychic test?

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2017, 05:53:39 PM »
@MechTau: That's a loaded question.
No he can not heal if he fails a psychic test, but not due to failing the test, it's due to attempting.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »

I'm inclined to doubt that's the most efficient use of it. Something like a Wraithknight is a huge magnet for fire to begin with. This sort of ability is best on things that are hard to hit and damage in the first place and are also mid-priority targets so they'll take damage but not that reliably or that often.

The Fire Prism used to fit that profile, but will probably be actively targeted much more often now.

War Walkers and Wraithlords are fairly solid choices to support, but a Wraithlord may require the Bonesinger to be too close to the action.

Hemlocks will need to periodically swing by the Bonesinger for repairs, which isn't all that practical.

Engines of Vaul (Scorpion and Cobra) make good targets in games when they're allowed because they're very hard to hurt the first time thanks to holofields.

Wraithguard/blades are a reasonable option. Though much of the time you'll be wasting 1-2 healed wounds, it's not uncommon for Wraithguard to be targeted by anti-infantry weapons that only deal 1, and more common still with Wraithblades as most cc weapons only deal 1 damage. This is where the Bonesinger is best employed with all its abilities, as when healing isn't required it's in Smite range of the enemy, and it can potentially heal either the Wraithguard or the Wave Serpent - a unit you wouldn't take a Bonesinger specifically to support. The question becomes whether it's better in that sort of role than a cheaper Spiritseer.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 05:33:00 AM »
I've been thinking about the idea of using a bonesinger along with 5 wraithguard/blades in a serpent, and to fill up the serpent why not bring a spiritseer as well.

Wraithguard will pop out within smite range, so both psykers would be in smite range, healing the wraithguard/blades is only useful 2/3 times or less, and even then only for a maximum of 2 wounds.

Healing the serpent is not valuable enough either, but if you can make the serpent filled with wraiths scary enough, someone is going to attack it, maybe you should take the most aggressive weapons on it, to make sure it's a big threat, this way the serpent is going to be damaged really fast. Even if the serpent is destroyed it might explode and damage the passangers, which would then be a target for the healing.

Actually choosing to going second is not bad for eldar in general, but with bonesingers, it gets even better, because they might be able to do their thing from the start.

While the bonesinger is slightly overpriced when not allowed to both smite and heal, it's not by much, and if a list is built around them, say mechanized Iyanden spirithost, they WILL make their points back.

Taking say 3 bonesingers along with 3 serpents full of wraithguard/blades, would allow those bonesingers to jump ship too, or even support a knight or lord nearby, when they are otherwise idle.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
Having read through the first review on FLG, and the strategems they list there... I am really temped to do what Fenris said. 5 Wraithguard, spiritseer + Bonesinger. Cloudstrike to DS the Serpent.

Not being able to disembark hurts a little, but not too much. The next turn, being able to disembark and double move from quicken a'la spiritseer, or other buffs can really make the unit shine.

So many potential tricks... but this one definitely intrigues me
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »
I am glad that it isn't just me seeing the potential of the singer. My idea was just fire anyway.. :)
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 10:34:07 PM »
ONLINE ONLY! What kinda crap is that. Well guess I'm gonna be doing a conversion for mine.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
Yes and it will take 35 days before you get it too.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »
Yup, I bet. Now just have to figure out what mini to use for the conversion. Bits and pieces, bits and pieces.....
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline haunt

• Play and have fun.
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
IF you have bits from Warhammer High Elf or Wood Elves and of course Eldar farseers.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat