News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looking to add some WH to my IG list  (Read 439 times)

Offline Colonel Church

Looking to add some WH to my IG list
« on: October 4, 2006, 11:12:20 PM »
I just recently purchased the Witch Hunters codex and two other units......Throne of Judgement and a Witch Hunter and retinue.

What is the best way to add WH to a large IG force? 

What is the smallest effective force you can put together?  Inquistor HQ, Inq storm troopers and..........

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
Re: Looking to add some WH to my IG list
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2006, 11:53:21 PM »
Adding to IG - you have to decide whether you want to complement IG strengths or fill in areas where they are weak. Generally speaking, their strengths are being shooty, and the weakness is in assault. I don't think there is any bad way to add WH units in. Even if you add just basic Stormtroopers, while it would be a little bit redundant it's not going to hurt the army any. Personally I think you'd get the best use out of counter-attack assault units, Retributors with Heavy Bolters, and Seraphs as flank harriers (or heavy assaulters if you take a Canoness too), and Assassins of any kind as general annoyance and distraction units (they are just cool too). An Inquisitorial Retinue packing 3 Servitors with plasma cannons and plenty of cheap ablative henchmen is a good shooty unit, though expensive. Heavy bolters are cheaper, but not as kick-ass as plasma cannons. A unit of 8 Stormtroopers with a pair of Plasma Guns is cheap, solid and efficient.

The smallest effective force... Probably just a shooty Inquisitor HQ and two squads of Storm Troopers as they are described above. You can fit that into a 400pt combat patrol.

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #2 on: October 5, 2006, 01:30:00 AM »
Well, I got to say that Lom is indeed correct about his statement of filling in weak areas where Guard lacks... However, that is only just one of the reasons.

What you should think about, when including a small portion of WH force into IG, is what elements/tactics do you want to gain from employing those units?

Assassins are great as disrupting units in enemy army which can allow IG force to focus on other tasks or even to further enforce offensive tactics. (Good for Armour Assault tactic which is based on Hellhounds + LR Demo, Light Infantry army on offensive strategy with raining down close-to-long-range shooting, and also Drop Troops army going for offensive strategy)

Sister of Battles (SoB) can provide a high degree of anti-horde firepower within close-range gunfight. As you probably know, they are also resilent in which they can withstand most incoming fire from enemy weps. (As long as the weps are not AP2-3) Footslogging version are great as defensive units to protect IG army. Mechanised version, however, is now a mobile unit of tactical hvy troops. Sometimes, they can even be used as counter assault units to tie up enemy assault units that are about to attack IG weak units. (Thanks to their power armour) As a result, this allows IG units to focus on shooting their long-range weps.

Inquistorial Stormies with chimeras can be taken to add more mobile fire support to the IG army. (Possible to have quite a fair number of chimeras to conduct wall formation) With Rhinos, however, such units now become tactical mechanised troopers. It is possible to counter assault with them, but they are not as resilent as SoB. Although they can be used to assault enemy weak units in cover & tie them up thanks to their frag grenades.

Inquistor retinues are an interesting unit which you can equip them in so many ways. From shooty version to assault force. It is pricy, but this is a good opportunity for conversion & fluffiness. Not to mention that you can take Land Raiders to go along with the Leman Russ... ::)

Having said all that... You would still have to judge whether it is a worthwhile or not for carrying out certain tactics with certain WH units. I can say that an inclusion of Inquistorial Force into IG is like an art which is opening up more possibilitie in tactics. Again, all of which have their own strength & weakness... ;) (In other words, there is no best way. You may have to find the right combination which suits your style of playing)

And about the smallest & effective force? I would probably think it to be a small number of SoB units...

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Colonel Church

« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2006, 05:29:45 PM »
I knew there was going to be a lot of variations and options by adding WH to my IG army.

The modeling options alone made me smile............ ;D

I have one squad of my black and grey Karskin Storm Troopers with a Black and grey Chimera.  I also have a 10 man squad of unpainted Karskin that I want to make as Inquisitoral Storm Troopers, (Traditional Black and Red).

The Throne of Judgement came out really nice and he seems like he would be fun to use in a large battle as an HQ unit.

The other Witch Hunter and Retinue I purchased is the one with the tall hat and an Inferno Pistol.  Looks really good and he will be the center point for the fluff around my army.

I was going with Rough Riders as a solid counter assault unit for my IG, but I think I love the double fisted bolter on the Seraphim(sp)