News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Newbie Question Concerning Close-Order Drill  (Read 348 times)

Offline Hospitaller

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Newbie Question Concerning Close-Order Drill
« on: July 7, 2005, 03:01:22 AM »
Well, I'll just ask the question first to save people time by reading and posting why afterwards.

Question: If an infantry squad, led by a Veteran Sergeant, has taken Close-Order Drill as a doctrine and is in close-order, does it take Ld tests on an 8 or a 9?

I'd like to think 9, since the Vet Sergeant is part of the squad, but part of me doesn't think so.

I'm trying to make a themed army that is ridiculously disciplined and stubborn in holding its ground, so basically Die-Hards, Iron Discipline, Hardened Fighters, etc. If I'm wrong, I'm just going to go chem-inhalers and fluff it.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
Re: Newbie Question Concerning Close-Order Drill
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2005, 03:32:53 AM »
The the Squad tests on the Veteran Sergeant's leadership so long as he is alive. CoD doesn't list any restrictions or scenarios when you would NOT gain the +1 LD, so from that I'd say yes, they do become LD 9. It is a thought that occured to me once or twice, but I suppose it is designed for really fluffy sort of Redcoat style armies. The downside is templates will maul you...

Offline Hospitaller

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2005, 03:57:45 AM »
Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm quite satisified now.  :D. Time to start crunching that list...

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2005, 04:01:03 AM »
If you're looking for this rule in the BGB, it may not be there. The BGB (at least my copy, as well as those of more than a few others) doesn't actually state that you're allowed to use the highest Ld in a unit. This has been FAQ'd here in "More 40k FAQs":

http://uk.games-workshop.com/forums/warhammer40000/

Just so you know in case you've been leafing through the BGB, unable to find this Ld rule.

Cheers, PaxImperator