News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Any Good Mutations?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Hivemind

Any Good Mutations?
« on: July 24, 2002, 11:04:18 AM »
I was curious to see what kind of mutant creatures people used in their armies.  One that I've though about and am itching to try out is mutant rippers with leaping legs - they cost 14pts a base.  You can then create mutant creatures within the brood and give them rending claws for 6pts a base.  Depending on how many creatures you use in your fleet you can normally get between 3-5 bases with rending claws in a 10 ripper brood.  I see them as a good way of killing those annoying Striking Scorpions that normally slice through my gaunts.  With 30 wounds and 30 attacks (some rending claw) they can dish it out as well as take a beating.

Anyone else think of any good mutations to try?
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
Re:Any Good Mutations?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 06:44:09 PM »
Hmm... well, besides the Rending Rippers thing, the only biomorph I've seen used a lot is Hive Node. As for the Rippers, the Eldar are gonna have to bring Scatter Lasers, Starcannon, or triple batteries of Vibro-Cannons!

Exceptional Size is too expensive.
Weapons-Beast... well, once upon a time I thought Rippers could be mutated with Spore Mine Launchers (it *is* a bio-weapon, technically...). If your fleet is real short on variety, you can shave a point or two off you 'fex or Tyrant if you gave it a big gun...
Hive Node: Good if you want your Gaunts to roam, but it's not perfect... plus they make tempting targets for Swooping Hawk grenade packs! Which I have done... I've killed 4 Hive Nodes and about 10 other Gaunts with them alone in one game.
Acid Blood: I've never used it, but I've heard about people who have... personally, I don't like it.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.