News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ideas for the Ynnari  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Ideas for the Ynnari
« on: February 8, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
I'm not sure if it fits here and maybe it's premature since most don't have the book yet.
That's why I will tread lightly (and carry a big gun) to not reveal any new rules to anyone that does not know them yet.

I thinking of building an army something like this:

Yvraine & Visarch joins a unit of harlequin players hoping to gain a feat that grants better invulnerable saves, mounted in a Raider or Wave serpent.

These units may come best out of an Aeldari Warhost formation, which includes in addition 2 units of guardians and 2 units of wyches and of course Yncarne all of which will be used as cannon fodder.

Along with this I'm thinking of having a couple of DJ's as scouts on their own, just to annoy as much as possible and in a line, that makes them take full advantage of the new Ynnari special rule.

Then I'm thinking Raiders with scytheguard inside.

A unit of banshees lead by Jain Zar would be awesome as well as a second wave, probably mounted in a raider.

Maybe an Ynneads net formation would be nice too, just to grab objectives.

What are your thoughts?

Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Ideas for the Ynnari
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
My thoughts are the same as they are every time a codex has been leaked prior to being released.  Wait until the actual release to discuss rules and army lists.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Determinator

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
I think it could definitely work but that seems like far too much to be able to fit in one list.

The problem is that I think ynnari work better as an MSU army and if you take the triumvirate it takes away from that and it makes your force very top-heavy.

For example, the harlequins squad with the visarch and Yvraine is just too weak when it's more than a quarter of the list. A raider can easily be shot down and we all know how vulnerable harlies are.

The rest of it I like though especially ynnead's net which I think is going to be a really fun useful formation.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
I was thinking having a harlequin deathstar and the rest of the army MSU, and Yncarnes triumvirate formation, which does not take up any HQ or LoW spaces.
It would probably require a lot of troops especially with the Aeldari warhost, so maybe ditch that one, and have the troupe of harlequins as objective secured.

A farseer or a jetseer as a warlord with a chance of picking his psychic powers might be something to go after maybe.

A hasty draft:
Triumvirate formation: 625p
Yvraine
Visarch
Ynnead
Reborn warhost:
HQ
Jetseer, spirit stone 130p
Archon, WWP 95p
Troops
5x kabalite warriors 40p
12x Players, 11 caress, TM has 1 embrace. 293p
Elite
5x Scytheguards 210p

1393p so far.
The Ynneads net would be another 249+ points.
Farseer picks invisibility, fortune & sanctuary to keep the deathstar alive, if he gets the corract warlord trait.
Scytheguard deepstrikes with archon, blowing up a transport, then soulburst-kill any passengers, or blow up a second vehicle.
Maybe a shadowseer to keep the harlequins safe(-r)?

Offline Determinator

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »
It could work but it won't be that competitive...just because Yvraine and the visarch are so mediocre.

I think that if you're spending that many points on a unit it needs to be mobile, therefore I might add a shadowseer for hit and run and maybe an archon with webway portal just so it can get somewhere where it can't be ignored.

The rest of the list is fine though 😉

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »
I have yet to try Yvraine and the Visarch and his regenerative powers. Sure focused fire should hurt them, but the is plenty of players that need to fail their saves first.
I'm not counting on a 4++ with re-roll and invisibility, but one of them should likely be achievable. Worst of these powers are the 4++, and worst firepower would be lasguns in rapid fire range.

That's 24 shots just to get 2 wounds on the Visarch, then another 96 to kill all the players, sure 1/6 wounds might fall through to Yvraine, causing 1.33 wounds, but that only means 2 players would still be alive tanking another 16 shots.
Total 136 lasgun shots in one turn.

The players already have hit & run, so for that matter a shadowseer wont be necessary, however veil of tears would be nice to have just in case the farseer forgets to bring any good powers.

Mobility is of course a problem, however if the distance is too great using soulburst for extra movement might just be worth it, Yvraine might just get a power to induce it, or the bikes will have to create a perimeter around the deathstar, allowing it to move out of turn. Dropping a couple of players and mounting them on a raider is of course an option, if they FAQ it to, destroyed transport = soulbursting passengers.

Against gunline armies like Tau the Archon could of course deploy them and force the
Scytheguard to walk, so maybe an ad hoc raider should be added anyhow?

What about Ynnead, will he hold up or will he be a goof like Illic?

Offline Determinator

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
I agree...I don't think survivability will be that much of a problem, if you can use clever Los play to keep Yvraine/Visarch losing and then healing wounds.

Of course harlies have hit and run...doh!

Maybe another farseer to guarantee some more powers? I think I'd rather have a farseer than a shadowseer to be honest. It might be worth trying for gate of infinity with the farseer(s)...gets them closer so they can use soulburst.

I think yncarne will be deceptively powerful. The ability to come in at the end of the opponents turn and then charge on yours is going to be deadly.

She might start chains of charges wiping them out and then soulbursting to charge again. Shes just so brutal in combat. It's going to be fun 😆😋

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
My idea was to make the farseer warlord, that would give him  shot at picking his powers freely, otherwise roll for invisibility, but be satisfied with shrouded too, otherwise swap for psychic shriek. 2nd power roll for fortune, taking whatever is rolled, and 3rd power aims for sanctuary, where gate or hammerhand would be nice powers too, but the primaris is useless unless fighting daemons.
This would of course sacrifice the increased soulburst area, but with luck, the Visarch may pick it up anyway.

I don't have enough HQ slots for another farseer, but a shadowseer is still possible, since they are elites.

I'm not concerned about Yncarne will be taking names and kicking butt in psychic powers and CC, I'm more concerned about survivability, since all anti-tank weapons will be aimed this way.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »
Hey Fenris... I'd definitely go with a Shadowseer. When I run Ynnari I'm definitley looking to add the Shadowseer to the mix... Veil of Tears is incredible and the other psychic powers are equally awesome. Shadowseer+Dark Reapers is gonna be sickening.

Also you could pick up as a Fast Attack Raider with Ethersails as well for the Harlies. But the Shadowseer may have more versatility and keep them alive longer... especially if you encounter targets midfield and can Soulburst into multiple assaults.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Determinator

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:33:49 AM »
I'm not concerned about Yncarne will be taking names and kicking butt in psychic powers and CC, I'm more concerned about survivability, since all anti-tank weapons will be aimed this way.

I think she'll be difficult to use definitely but if you can position her right and really make use of inevitable death then she should be able to keep herself out of trouble. With a 5++ 5+++ she should be reasonably tough against anti tank weapons, you've just gotta keep her healing wounds throughout the game.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »
Ok, so I've got this so far:
Yvraine
Visarch
Ynnead

Ynneads net formation:
Warlock, skyrunner 50p
3x Guardian jetbikes 51p
3x Reavers 48p
2x Skyweavers 100p

Reborn warhost:
HQ
Farseer, skyrunner, spirit stone 130p (Warlord)
Archon, Webway portal 95p
Troops
5x kabalite warriors 40p
Elite
5x Scytheguards 210p
Shadowseer 60p
Fast
Raider 55p (shock prow*)

1702p

The Shadowseer will join the clownstar with Visarch and Yvraine, granting them VoT, and if the shadowseer pops, Yvraine gains a mastery level and the Visarch will gain an Attack. Has a chance to heal them both and possibly gaining a soulburst as well. Popping the warlock nearby, has a similar effect.

If the Archon can deepstrike with the Scytheguards, when clownstar manages on foot, the kabalites can embark in the Raider.

If the farseer can't get any good buff powers he could join the reavers, really nice when they get the Toughness drug.

*I'm considering taking a shock prow on the raider if crashed transport can give the passengers a soulburst, depending on how the rules are interpreted. I think raiders are fast enough without sails.

For a 1750 list I would probably add 3 scatter lasers to the GJB and some other random wargear. For 1850 just add the solitaire and @2K maybe I could fit an aspect host with Spiders, Hawks and Spears.

Edit: I'm considering cramming in another shadowseer to go with the schytheguard, this shadowseer will go for telepathy gaining psychic shriek, in addition to this I can equip the shadowseer with mask of secrets, along with giving the Archon an armour of misery, creating a LD -4 bubble which should apply +4 wounds. Worth the points?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:59:43 AM by Fenris »

Offline Determinator

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
It's definitely worth adding the shadowseer, the ability to nuke a target with psychic shriek is amazing. Try it against a riptide  ;D ;)

I don't know what I'd drop to get it though.

BTW what's the point of the raider is it for the warriors?

And I'd really try to get some points for zephyrglaives on the skyweavers it makes them so much more versatile.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »
I could drop the Raider for a second shadowseer, however the raider is primarily for the kabalite warriors, but it can be used by the Schytheguard in case the clownstar needs to take the Archon to deepstrike.

I don't expect the skyweavers to do more than grab objectives and then get killed for a clownburst, possibly lock up a shooty unit for a round if lucky. Spending more points on things like zephyrglaives is not really worthwhile IMO.

I did kill a flyrant turn 1 with psyckhic shriek once, while shooting snapfire ;) It was hilarious for a minute, until the player who had been terrorizing other armies with it in that tournament, forfeited the game.

Heres how it could look:

Yvraine
Visarch
Ynnead

Ynneads net formation:
Warlock, skyrunner 50p
3x Guardian jetbikes 51p
3x Reavers 48p
2x Skyweavers 100p

Reborn warhost:
HQ
Farseer, skyrunner, spirit stone 130p (Warlord)
Archon, Webway portal, armour of misery 110p
Troops
5x kabalite warriors 40p
Elite
5x Scytheguards 210p
Shadowseer 60p (Phantasmancy)
Shadowseer, mask of secrets 75p (telepathy)

1737p