News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Another help me find an army thread!  (Read 316 times)

Offline Captain F. Bunny

• Captain
  • The Emperor protects.Because flak armour doesn't.
Another help me find an army thread!
« on: September 17, 2005, 11:43:48 PM »
So. I'm a player with a few years under my belt and a decent knowledge of all of 40k, and i'm looking for an army that will warm my heart and want to finish. I'm looking for something that is fun to play and in a way antipodal to my guard army of much shooting.

Qualities that would be really great include:
-Small. Not only am I disgustingly sick of painting guardsman after guardsman, I want to be forced to try more inventive tactics like concentration of force to spearhead attacks on a short part of an enemy line.
-Preferably Mobile: I want to take the initiative for a change. Though this is probably one of the minor wants so I don't need to be .
-Elite. Goes in with the whole small army plan, but I want to start winning firefights and close combats for a change when used squad vs squad rather than platoon vs squad.
-Semi-all rounder. Would be great if i could charge in guns blazing and then finish off the enemy face to spiky visor as i hit into their lines
-Infantry Rich. One tank to lug around my tank fighting power would be fine. A mechanised wave of steel isn't.
-Preferably "heavy". a at least a 4+ save basic would be great.

Armies I have considered So far:
-Orks. All rounders, good at what they do and can be very infantry rich. However, having to buy all those boyz don't particularly attract me.
-Space Marines: BA i don't like because the death company is so unreliable (randomised amounts of them...) BT are out in october, adn i'd wanna start now.. SW interest me, but am wondering if being infantry heavy would restrict them too much. 13th company sound almost perfect. Yet, I only really love their grey slayers.
-Tau. No decent CC unit. No kroot are a nice cc shield, but little more. Seems like there is a need to buy many devilfishes for your firewarrior squads.
-IG variants. Still the issue of the rather impotent man on his own. Wanting to move away from that. Alternative to that is AC.. and that is a big no-no.
-Chaos. Alpha legion and an all infiltrating death guard can be intersting. However there is the stigma of playing such a force that everyone else plays and calls beardy.
-Kroot. Even after reading tsoalr steve's strips about kroot fried material, i don't think i would particularly like these guys. Seems like a rather flimsy force
-Necrons. Faaar too slow. Again a lack of decent CC punch, but have unearthly frirefight potential.
-Inquisition. From what I hear, grey knights only ever excel at killing chaos. Sisters of battle interst me, but i don't love their models or the assosiated costs with having to buy an all metal army. Do all storm trooper armies ever work?
-Tyranids. Isn't a all consuming horde a basic principle of nid armies?
-Eldar. Biel Tann seems nice. But looks like mechanisation is almost mandatory. Alaitoc interests me, but i am always wary of eldar cc units as they never seem to preform for me when i proxy them.
-DE. Again, it would seem mechanisation would be pretty important. otherwise looks interesting.

Soo... i can't decide, and i was hoping someone with a different perspective could show me something i've been missing. Perhapse even a more mobile, assaulty guard? Also if i have missed any armies or varients that might fit what i want, could you please tell me?

Thank you all in advance.
Cadian 111th "Triple Aces"
Captain. 13th Company.
"First in, first killed. Welcome to the guard"

111th regimental fluff

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
Re: Another help me find an army thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 12:05:06 AM »
Necrons aren't necessarily slow. Wraiths with a Destroyer Lord, Destroyers, scarabs, and a Lord with the 'Veil of Darkness' and accompanying squad of Immortals or Warriors are all highly mobile, and definately the most stylish elements of the army.

You might think about 'vanilla' Space Marines, though the term is misleading these days as they can be customized so heavily. With all the Trait options it won't be hard to find a combination to fit your tastes, and some Traits mean that even basic Tactical squads can be upgraded a lot. This means they cost more points, fufilling the 'Small' part of your requirements.

On Space Wolves, and Marines in general - you'll never go wrong by being infantry heavy. The basic Marine is the strength of the army, the more the better.

For Chaos, there's also Night Lords with Inflitration and Stealth Adept. This will definately set you up for a firefight followed by lots of assaults. If you don't like the NL models, just use their rules for a Legion of your own.

For Daemonhunters, the best bet would be a strong foot contingent of Stormtroopers with teleporting Grey Knights. Assassin and some armour in heavy support to round off. Grey Knights do only excel at killing Chaotic foes, but they are very effective against most opponents as well. WS5, True Grit, Storm Bolters and Nemesis Halberds are good no matter what you're up against.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 05:12:51 AM »
The 13th Company is a small elite army. It's fast and footslogging up to Bikers. Wulfen are awesome. My opponents fear them like hell. Wolves are very fast able to reach cc in turn one. Frankly, I only have problems in cleanse missions where the opponent can set up his units deep in his deployment zone. However, in most missions, the enemy units are 24" away. That's fine.

Offline Heatseek3r

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 06:10:54 AM »
Ulthwé Strike Force

-Small. Not only am I disgustingly sick of painting guardsman after guardsman, I want to be forced to try more inventive tactics like concentration of force to spearhead attacks on a short part of an enemy line.
Well, while the USF may not be small if you decide on being modest with the Seer Coucil the thing is that their colourscheme is so easy to pull off that it makes it pretty easy to get round to playing a fully painted army quick.

-Preferably Mobile: I want to take the initiative for a change. Though this is probably one of the minor wants so I don't need to be.
The USF almost always has to take the initiative. Standing around in your own deployment phase is not prefferable. :)

-Elite. Goes in with the whole small army plan, but I want to start winning firefights and close combats for a change when used squad vs squad rather than platoon vs squad.
Just make the Storm Guardian squads large and you have a unit that is able to dish out lot's of hurt. Imagine a squad of twenty storm guardians managing to hit the enemy lines. That's 60 attacks on initiative 4 and ws 4(add enhance to that ;)). As I said, imagine. :)

-Semi-all rounder. Would be great if i could charge in guns blazing and then finish off the enemy face to spiky visor as i hit into their lines
Shooting in the form of Vypers, Warwalkers and Dark Reapers (perhaps Defender Guardian squads too).
Close combat prowess in the form of (aspect warriors), Storm Guardians, Hand Of Khaine and Seer Council.

-Infantry Rich. One tank to lug around my tank fighting power would be fine. A mechanised wave of steel isn't.
Well, being denied any grav tanks makes it quite infantry rich.

-Preferably "heavy". a at least a 4+ save basic would be great.
Sorry, 5+ is your basic save.

Just a suggestion. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 06:12:03 AM by Beautiful Mutation »
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."