News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How to use wraithguard efficiently?  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Illumini

How to use wraithguard efficiently?
« on: May 13, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »
I would really like to use a couple units of wraithguards in an army, but how to use them? The issue with the 12'' range is their biggest problem in my opinion, as this would lead to:

1. They need a transport
           - (and then they can only be a unit of 5)
2. They will not take out larger units as they are only 5 guys
3. They will get charged the next turn and tied up in combat for probably the rest of the game

I've been thinking of using two units of 5 with a farseer in each, guiding and mind waring any powerfister/plasmagunners etc., each unit carried in a wave serpent, these units would then need back-up from either some harlequins or some banshees in a serpent... this would of course be alot of points built into getting these units out of combats and into the enemy, any suggestions or experiences with the wraithguard to share? Seems that just waaaay to many points go into these units, and I do love the eldar light vehicles, and would love to have more points to buy more of them  ;D

Suggestions?

Cheers
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltare

Offline citywokchinefoo

Offline eldrasidar

Re: How to use wraithguard efficiently?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:44:01 PM »
think about why you want them.  Their weapons are designed for tough targets. So if you send them against anything less, they will get swamped. Against many  tough targets there is no difference between fusion guns and Wraithcannons.  until you go above toughness 6 and armor 12 they are the same at 7-12 inches, and when closer the fusion gun is always going to be better in terms of vehicles except at dealing with monoliths. this generally means that the number of units that the wraithguard are supreme over can be counted on one's hands, and moreover, they tend to be rare on the battlefield(like 1 or 2 at most) since you can get 10 fire dragons for the same price as 5 wraithguard, to me it always seems to be worth it to skip on the wraithguard.  the only time i might take wraithguard over fire dragons would be against necrons, though they'd still be in wave serpent. they might also make a good bodyguard for the equally slow moving and short ranged avatar.  this is just me of course. others value the toughness that wraithguard bring, along with their nice save, both a which can easily confuse an opponent expecting mediocre saves and toughness.  I prefer to save the points, and acknowledge that because of their toughness, many of the weapons pointed at wraithguard tend to be high strength, with AP 3 or better, or they are swarms designed to keep the guard pinned down, which then forces you to figure out how to get them out again or watch your points go down the sink.
"We applied the cortical electrodes, but failed to get a neural response from either patient." Jayne Cobb

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 10:59:31 PM »
I'll aproch this topic in the same way I did the entire "using guardian defenders" bit.

Despite their shortcommings, Wraithguard are one of the best units we have. But like Guardians, they are not as easy to fit into a force as many would like to beleave.  Just as guardians do not do well as a specialized unit, but are great as a "generalized unit," Wraithguard do not do that well in Offensive roles.  But are one of the toughest units in the game when it comes to defensive roles.

But this does not mean that Wraithguards lack offensive punch.  Far from it.  Their weapons slice through armor, and vehicles like butter.  And even have a chance at nuking large Demon Princes in a single hit.

The biggest thing to take in to account with wraithguard is their best quality. THEY ARE TOUGH AS NAILS!!!  With a toughness making even bolters and CC Space marines needing 6's to wound the suckers, a 3 plus armor save, and being FEARLESS.  These guys do not move easily from ANY position they take up.  When concidering whether to feild them or not, this first and formost must be what you address.  Even in small squads, These guys are tough as nails to dispose of, as even if you where to reduce a squad of them to the last man, that last man is still a potent killing machine, and is enough to continuously press vehicles, and nuke a single warrior wandering around the battlefield. 

Wraithguard also are like guardians in the way that they can "generalize" quite well in a very specialized list.  Wraithguards big "specialization" within the Eldar army, is that they are incredebly tough to kill.  But when you look past that, you can see that offensively, Wraithguard are one of the few things in the eldar army that can literaly take on all commers when equiped right.  But this is not to say that they do fill the same role in the army as guardians do.  Using my analogy from my write up on guardians, wraithguard are not the glue that binds multiple elements of your army like guardians do, but they are still very potent and versitile to be seen as a threat by multiple kinds of enemy's. 

The Wraithcannon is predominantly though of as a heavy vehicle killer.  But this is quite far from the truth.  Although it is true that Wraithcannons are probaly the easyest way besides swooping hawks with Intercept to get rid of a monolith, For most AV 14 vehicles, you are better off taking Fire dragons for their melta ability.  But this is not to say that the cannon is bad at hunting vehicles, oh no.  But the true strength of the wraith cannon is its ability to pose a HUGE threat to multiple enemy unit types.  And not just vehicles.  The units that fear this cannon the most are heavily armored troops, Hulking Monsterous Creatures, Vehicles, Independent Characters, and small expensive combat squads.  The 12 inch range is definatly their balancing point, but there are ways around this that I will go into later.

The Second thing that makes wraithguard versitile that is often overlooked is their attached warlock or spirit seer.  A warlock or spirit seer is usauly seen as simply the thing that prevents the wrathguard from rolling wraithsight.  But what is often forgotten is that warlocks can boost the wraithguard's stats to better serve them depending on how you wish to deploy them.  If you intend to go vehicle hunting in a wave serpent, a warlock with a singing spear will not only add to your anti tank capacity, but it will also come in handy in the fact that the singing spear actualy does better at taking out softer armored targets.  Fighting a CC force?  A warlock or spirit seer with Enhance makes wraithguard into quite a potent killing machine.  Although they lack power weapons, with STR 5, and a whichblade or spear that always wond's on twos, they are far from defensless.  And by giving them enhance, your Initiative and WS is increased to 5!!!  Meaning that even against marines, you will be both hiting and wounding on 3. While they will need 4's and 6's to hurt you.  Even with a power fist, on average, he will only be able to take down 1 or 2 guard a turn.  And even if you loose in combat, your fearless.  So its going to even take a vet seargent a few turns to beat you back.  Plenty of time for your CC elements of your force to sweep in and kill the guys that tied you down.  Or if you feel like you might loose too many guys to incomming plasma fire, then a warlock with conceil will give your wraithguard an instant cover save against any weapon that comes their way.  Freeing them up to simply slog it out in the open and still have a 1/3rd chance of not taking a casualty to Laz cannon fire.

So the big question is "how do I use these guys in my list?"  Well here are the ways that I feel they are used the best:

1: Mobile hunters:  Probably the most popular version of these guys.  It consists of putting up to 5 of these guys with a warlock in a wave serpent and using them to run around and do your nasty work.  But although this tactic is the most popular, I feel that most people who play this have the wrong Idea. when it comes to using them.

I more often then not see people using these guys in the same way that one would use fire dragons or Dire Avengers.  And that is droping them down in a hot zone behind their tank, shooting a tank or some other poor squad, only to load them up in the serpent the next turn in a similar fassion to both DA and Fire Dragon Drive bys.  This is in my opinion THE WORST way to use these guys.  For one, by doing this you are not allowing them to use their greatest asset:  BEING TOUGH AS NAILS.  By sticking them behind a vehicle, they might draw some fire for a turn, but they will largly go ignored by your opponent.  And your opponent will just proceed to shoot the vehicle.  Which is MUCH more venerable then the Guard.  And also, if you load them up in a vehicle and the vehicle moves fast and is shot down, then on average HALF of them will be injured on the spot due having to bail from the vehicle.  This is TERRIBLE for the Wraithguard.  As something that on average needs 6's to acomplish now only needs a simple 4 to aquire.  Meaning that you will most likely have more casualties by having your vehicle get shot down, then in a turn of infighting with bolters and plasma guns.

This is not to say that this tactic is without merit.  In fact it can be handy.  But I feel its not the best aplication for the wraithguard.  Still.  If you are going to put them in a serpent, Give them what they need to survive once you drop them down into the combat zone.  When you play this force, understand that you are not using these guys to tank hunt, and you are not using these guys to do serious offensive damage.  What you are doing is using the serpent to hot drop a unit of bulletsponges onto the front line and try to do as much damage as you can do while drawing as much fire as you can from your main force as they advance.  A warlock with a Spear is a great little handy thing when you know you are fighting a force like TAU or Eldar where you can try to nuke a vehicle when they drop out, or you can once again, leave the witch blade and give them conceil or Enhance to make them one annoying pillar, Or even Destructor to have a heavy flamer drop on some infantry, with some vicious Wraithcannons to finish off those that survive the Heavy flamer. 

Just remember, Once you have droped them down and gotten your opponenets attention, the best thing you can do is leave them in the thick of things.  ALWAYS remember that other army's are not as specialized as the eldar are.  So weapons like Plasma weapons, or heavy weapons are only a few mixed in with ALOT of small arms fire.  Concidering how frail the Eldar are, the Wraithguard's job is to draw off as much small arms fire as they can in order to ensure that your other troops can get to the front lines in tact.

I think I'm running out of typing space so I'm going to continue this in another post.  Enjoy for now till I get the next post set up.

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:47:31 PM »
2: The Perfect Anvil:  The hammer and Anvil tactic is one that is quite popular among the eldar players.  Many players I know solidify an anvil force with slower, tougher units with a long reach, or middle runners such as Dire Avengers.  But this is something that the Wraithguard can also do with GREAT effect. 

The first thing that you will unanimously hear from people who hate foot slogging their troops is something that is very basic.  "They can't shoot till they are within 12 inches."  This alone makes people skeptical, and very reluctant at feilding wraithguard as a foot slogging force.  Despite this short comming though, the Wraithguard actualy accell at Anvil tactics because of their resiliance.  And despite them not being able to return fire, they themselves provide a ponderous advance that is near impossible to break though when they are in large enough numbers.  Not to mention that without a transport, the wraithguard are free to do what they do best...DRAW FIRE.

As I mentioned before, their high Toughness and high armor makes them nearly invulnerable to small arms fire.  Although weapons like Plasma Cannons / Laz guns, and other low AP weapon do go though guard quite easily, as I mentioned before, other army's are not as specialized as us Eldar.  Which means that more often then not, you will have a constant stream of bolter fire with only one or two shots from weapons that can actualy harm the wraithguard from your average infantry unit.  This means that as they advance, in order for your opponent to bring to bear the weapons that can harm the Wraithguard, he must use his units that have smaller calibur weapons that the wraithguard virtualy ignore. 

But while your wraithguard slog through bolter fire without a care in the world, bolters are the BANE of every other unit in the eldar army, due to their low toughness.  By allowing your guard to be shot by these units that bring to bear only one or two plasma hits per unit, By allowing these units to be shot at, the rest of your army is free to advance without the worry of comming under fire of numerous mid strength weapons.  This in itself is worth its weight in gold to an eldar army.

But what if your opponents "ignore" this slow foot slogging threat?  Well then that works to your benifit.  Despite peoples bickering about wraithguard, even if you where to set up 27 inches away from an opponent at the start of the game, if you use your wraithguard to literaly just march in a straight line twards your opponents, they will be at his line by turn 3.  This leaves you 2/3rds of the game in range of your weapons alllowing you to bring your weapons to bear.  And this is only IF he sits in your deployment zone.  If he is a force such as black Templar, then he might even be at your line in 2 turns. 

As before, the two big options to take the warlock / spirit seer with is Enhance or Conceil.  Enhance will make you a bit more potent offensively, as if you are fortunate enough to get into charge range, you can deliver a brutal one two punch with your wraithcannon followed by your high Initiative, High WS, High STR, High T, Low Armor goodness.

This makes the guard the "Perfect Anvil" as they can literaly be a rock hard anvil force that will continously advance up the line.  To this day, I have yet to see ANY force that can break though a Wraithguard / Dire Avenger Anvil when the wraithguard are in play.  Although "Slow and Steady" are hardly what Eldar players concider a way to fight, for those that are patient enough this anvil force can Steam roll over a force with its sheer resiliance.

3: Wraithconstruct line:  Just like with Guardians, the warlock that is given with a wraithguard squad is great for those that wish to feild WraithLords in their force.  In fact Wraithlords make great support units for Wraithguard as they are similarly tough, can continue to shoot as they take wounds, and can draw even more fire away from both your main "soft" troops, as well as your wraithguard.  Needless to say, If you are playing a Hammer and Anvil Eldar force, and you need your farseer to stick close to your shining spear or warpspiders to fortune them, Wraithguard are a great unit to pair up with your wraithlords to form an anvil, as the wraithguard and Lords can be an anvil force un-to themselves.  Where Guardians would need a few aspect warriors around to realy settle in as an anvil force.

4: A Note on Wraithguard as Troops:

When employed as mentioned above, Wraithguard become PHENOMINAL troop choices.  With a fully loaded Wraithguard unit, and a Dire Avenger squad, you do not just have a lethal anvil tag team, but you also have your compulsory troops.  And I have yet to see anyone complain about not taking more troops when they see that you have spent almost 400 points for the wraithguard unit alone. (This is more points then I see most armys put into their ENTIRE troop choices.) 

As I mentioned before with Guardians, having wraithguard in your forces are not for everyone.  They are best employed in foot slogging forces that wish to draw large amount of fire away from the "soft" troops that the eldar have.  These guys are more then enough to weather any storm your opponent might bring you.  But caution must be taken, as like anything, there are a few things that wraithguard cannont handle well.  Wraithguard are very good at occupying and holding back horde army's, but against large amount of power weapon units such as Space Marine Veteran Squads, or genestealers, Wraithguard will often get overwhelmed.  Like everything in the eldar army, Wraithguard need propper support from other elements of the Eldar army.  But unlike other elements, They can be give alittle bit more le-way compared to other troops.  They will not die to incoming fire if they are caught out in the open like Banshee's, nor will they crumble in the first turn of CC like Dark Reapers, or Rangers do.  But never the less, they CAN fall if you put too much of a burden on them.  It takes experiance to know when to leave them, and when to help them, but needless to say, if you learn how to recognize when they can be left on their own, and when others need to intervein to bring more offensive might to bear, then the Wraithguard are turely a nearly unstopable force.  As to this day, I have only ever seen a squad of wraithguard go below scoreing size ONCE. (And that was due to a Vindicator sacraficing itself to do just that.)

A note on powerfists

Although it is true that Wraithguard will fall to powerfists, I would like to note that going up against a unit with a powerfist does not spell doom for the wraithguard unit.  As the powerfist will only give a handfull of casualties a turn, and a large unit of wraithguard should be able to weather the storm of one power fist and still cause enough casualties to win or tie combat.  Whenever you see yourself in one of these situations, do not panic.  Let the guard take the powerfist charge, as it is better to loose one or two fearless units that will most likely tie down that squad for the remainder of the game then to withdraw and allow the squad to run rampant among your more frail troops.

The things you SHOULD look out for are high STR low AP template weaponry such as Vindicator cannons, BattleCannons, and FirePrism's.  Pairing up with a pair of Tank hunting wraithlords is ususaly enough to discorage an opponent from bringing these kind of weapons to bear against the guard, but if he feels it a good trade off to B-line his tank to decimate your guard squad, its a good thing to have your wraithlords there to get even on the tank when they do kill off large numbers of wraithguard.

Whew.  That was alot.  But I hope it helped.

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:35:33 AM »
Very well done, Shadow Slayer.  That could be a new article in the Eldar section.  Gods know that we need some new articles in there!
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:54:12 AM »
Wraithguard are so good, that when the new codex came out, their price increased immediately.
Talk about teacher's pet.

Seconded.  Nice Shadow Slayer.

On my mind about Wraithguard

Either 5 man+warlock(spear destructor)+serpent
For your sudo-firedragons with a sudo-"dragons breath"
Sudo-firedragons that die half as fast, but half the numbers.

or

10 man+warlock with conceal+ Fortuneseer.
My fav.  10 man wraithguard with Eldrad and a 8 man squad of harlies as counterattack, with shadowseer, 6 kisses, and deathjester to lay down fire versus light vehicles.
YES<-------Hiddenpowerfists ARE EVIL.  CC is not were you want to be, juicy guns will on average get, what, 1 shot?  More shots = better.  Yes, you can hold out in cc, but that Khorne asp. champ will chew them up in a round or two.....but that's what mindwar is for, but really ld 10, I don't trust myself to roll over my opponent  :'(

Again, like most eldar units, Wraithguard need to be used carefully, there are weapons that will take them down, and in the wrong position, can cost you a game.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:57:26 AM by Sanctjud »
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 12:57:11 AM »
There is a reason we have mind war. 8)

Offline Homer S

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »
I have started to use a small unit as bodyguard for my Farseer. I have 3-5 w/Conceal-lock and a Guide/Fortune seer. He guides nearby War Walkers and fortunes his own unit. Keeps himself alive and really makes the WW effective. I will probably shift one of my Wave Serpents from a DA squad to this squad. That will permit more rapid redeployment as conditions require.

Homer Out

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »
Shadow Slayer did a really good job in presenting the Wraithguard's roles and how to employ them. They are, of course like all Eldar units, need to be looked at in context with the rest of the army. If you are simply thinking offensively, well, the whole Wraithguard versus Fire Dragons debate comes up..... If you are using them as a hard core for the rest of the army to work around, there are few armies that have units to pull it off as effectively as our Wraithguard.

My Iyanden army uses a squad of ten with enhancing Spirit Seer (witchblade) and fortune-guiding Farseer (witchblade). The rest of the army (Wraithlord x2, Spiders, Serpent-borne Avengers, Vyper and Pathfinders) works around this block, whether hammer-anvil, pincer, flank attack or as the tip of the spear. I also don't bother concealing because terrain is used to mitigate most incoming fire, Wriahtlords detract from most las-cannon shots and enhance is too god to pass up.

My last tournament this army only lost to the most tightly constructed Guard list I have yet seen. The only unit to survive to the end? The Wraithguard and attached Farseer. They also survived and defeated a 20-man Stormboy rush led by that special character (gives 4 S4 attacks per Ork on the charge!) from a forest they occupied. Three rounds of CC later 1 Wraithguard, Seer and Farseer walked out; and he rolled well. Not bad for facing 80+ attacks on the charge alone; 6's to wound really counted here.

Your problem with the 12" range is what most people say when they think of using the Wraithguard. Drawing on my points and those of Shadow Slayer, find the niche in your army they would fill and exploit it on the battlefield. Like most vet players of Wraithguard will say, they may look pricey on paper and have drastic shortcomings for range, but many "armies on paper" that would walk through anything fall well short of the mark.

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
@Farceseer Siranaul, "There is a reason we have mind war. "

My post: "Yes, you can hold out in cc, but that Khorne asp. champ will chew them up in a round or two.....but that's what mindwar is for, but really ld 10, I don't trust myself to roll over my opponent  "
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(

Offline ranger_55

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 03:57:19 PM »
I like them in a waveserpent instead of firedragons for tank hunting simply because they can easily hurt a monolith and fire dragons cannot....thats the only reason I field them over fire dragons. However since not many people use them having 5 of them well painted jumping out of a transport can surprise your opponent causing them to make mistakes since they really do look scary.
This is the digital age..we don't need a script!

Offline Autarch Kalweth

• I AM A DESTROYER OF WORLDS!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 04:17:35 PM »
marching my wraithguard straight through all of my friends lines (well except for my IG friend) make them worry.  Its especially fun when I see My Tau friend try to decide whether to shoot them or not and not be able to decimate the squad if he chooses to try to kill them.  I need to buy a few serpents and getting one for these guys will be worth it to drop them right on enemy lines on the second turn.
If Richard can have a battle cry for ponies, I want mine to be for... PIE!

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:26:11 PM »
Ah, that debate:

5 WG + Serpent (1 scoring unit, "hard" to kill)
vs.
5 Fire Dragons +Falcon (2 scoring units, one hit wonder,dragons come out, kill what ever, usually get pasted after)
or
10 Dragons + Serpent (1 scoring unit, almost the same cost as 5 WG, "easier" to kill, but twice as much as WG)

Really depends on what you want to do.
The 40K universe is not filled just with Monoliths (which are annoying to take down)
With the WG you might need a warlock, so the WG don't go stupid, and maybe give the warlcok destructor, so now you have a sudo-fire dragon exarch, but a little more expensive.  55 points versus 28 points.

But don't forget, Wraithguard can be 'fragile'.  If you are going to use them like firedragons, they can die as fast as firedragons.

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 04:59:56 PM »
Using them as predominantly tank hunters INSTEAD of fire dragons is always a mistake.

Sure they are better then Fire Dragons at bringing down lith's, but against EVERY other tank in the game, your actualy going to be better off with Fire Dragons.  More offensive punch, and the tank for defense will make them a better choice for dedicated anti tank unit.

So taking wraithguard OVER dragons as an anti tank choice is always in my opinion a mistake.

Warithguard have a great Anti tank skill, but they are better off being used as a "middle runner" in an offensive force.  Use them as a "back up" tank hunter or a "back up" head hunting unit.  As it is when you start RELYING on them offensively is when you are going to run into problems, and you will start to see the superioraty of the Fire Dragons for this role.

Lets face it,

The most COMMON eldar tactic is a full utilization of our Elite and Fast Attack Aspect squads (Warpspiders and shining spear in this current edition.) In a highly mobile mechinized list.  This leaves us with a force that is lightning fast and is so offensivly powerfull that it can crush an opponents army in a matter of a few turns.  It is because of this love affair with an Aspect Blitzkreige that leaves things like wraithlords, wraithguard, and many other solid units left behind.  Because these would go against many eldar players play style.  But this playstyle is not what the wraithguard are about, and they will ALWAYS fall behind Firedragons with offensive punch when you compare the two.  With the one exeption to the rule being the Monolith.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 05:58:18 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty incredible response. I definitely second the motion to get that turned into an article in the Eldar section.

I am curious, however, about how footslogging wraithguard deal with the problem of low-AP pie plates. I have always found these weapons to be the bane of marine players who attempt to rely on their resilience to walk across the board. You talk about using wraithlords to keep enemy tanks away, and while that may work for a vindicator or a demolisher, a standard leman russ can drop a pie plate on the wraithguard squad from well outside the range where a wraithlord can strike back, and a basilisk or defiler doesn't need to see you to kill you. The wraithguard would seem to lose their advantage of resilience when facing these weapons, and, considering that a basilisk costs around 1/3 of what a wraithguard troop choice costs, this seems to put the Eldar player at a significant disadvantage.

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 07:15:20 PM »
This is definatly one of the issues that Wraithguards do face when facing these kinds of units.  But like anything in the eldar army, you cannot expect them to be resiliant against EVERYTHING.  Large high STR low AP pie plates are definatly their bane.  But luckily, there are very few of these weapons and there are ways of getting around these types of weapons.

Vindicator:

Concidering that the vehicle needs 24 inches to deal with you, you can count on this vehicle to come straight for you and chase you down.  This is where pairing the guard with some anti tank lords becomes benificial to them, as an opponent must ask himself if he realy wants to tangle with wraithlords with his vehicle before sacraficing it to deal with the wraithguard.

Basilisk / Defiler

These are probably the easiest things to deal with.  Unanimously, these tanks will deploy WELL before you will have to deploy the wriathguard. All you must realy do is deploy your men as close to the vehicle as you possibly can.  Prefferably in cover.  Then simply march forward and get within these tank's minimum range.  Once they are within their minimum range, the opponent will have to direct fire at them.  Meaning that they will have to move into LOS.  This will make them venerable to attack from iether your wraithlords or the rest of your army.  Its also interesting to note that if they do remain out of LOS, then they will be rolling 2d6 on the scatter.  Increasing your chances that the deadly volley will pass right over you.  The best thing to do to prepare for this though is to equip your warlock with conciel, so that you can advance up with the wraithguard and give them some kind of save against this deadly volley. 

Lemun Russ / FirePrism's.

Now THESE two are the biggest bane to the wraithguard.  The Battlecannon can make short work of these troops while the Fire Prism is in a class of its own.

It is best to remember that when facing these two, you do have an entire army as well as these guys.  My advice is to do what you can to stay out of line of sight from these things, and let the rest of your army deal with these things.  As they are probably the biggest threat to your wraithguard.  Concider using your wraithguard as bait to draw them away from their main battle line.

Common thing

No matter which threat you are facing, there is one thing that you must remember when fighting these things.  These are ALL heavy support choices.  This means that in just about every game, you will be able to place your men in positions that can iether avoid these threats or nutralize them by ducking within their minimum ranges.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 07:29:39 PM »
Personally, if you are going have a large footslogging unit of wraithguard.  You might as well go all the way with a concealing warlock, and a fortunetelling farseer.

Offline Hook

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
Although I can see Wraith guard durability, I agree that battle canons, and IDF ordinance can really wreak havoc on them.  Another force to be reckoned with are khorne army's in general.  I play a Khorne player regularly and I can safely say that 8 berserkers with an aspiring champion with a power fist could probably wipe out a 10 man wraith gaurd unit in 2 turns without taking more than 1 or 2 casualties.  The same goes for khorne demon princes who run in with 7-11 attacks at Strength 5-6, which quickly would cleave through that once seemingly invincible T 6.  A final thing to watch out for is dreadnaughts, although easily crushed with shooting, if you're either really unlucky, or get snuck up upon somehow, they could really make short work of an incredibly expensive unit.  So as said before, they're an amazing anvil, but really need to be used with discretion and supported well.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 08:29:52 PM »
Its also interesting to note that if they do remain out of LOS, then they will be rolling 2d6 on the scatter.  Increasing your chances that the deadly volley will pass right over you. 

Only very slightly increasing your chances. It's 2d6 take the highest, so the average scatter increases by 1" or so, which might save a couple models, or turn some complete hits into partials, but probably won't save you entirely. The big fear, of course, is that 1/3 chance for a direct hit. The big danger to ordinance barrage weapons, I always find, is losing the first turn to your opponent and having an expensive squad decimated by a direct hit before you have a chance to react. 400 point squads of wraithguard just magnify that risk.

I agree with everything else, though.