News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My first Battle Report-Eldar vs SMurf 2000pnt  (Read 2862 times)

Offline Suithap

My first Battle Report-Eldar vs SMurf 2000pnt
« on: April 19, 2007, 07:52:26 PM »
My list:
HQ:
Eldrad

Troops:
10x Wraithguard w/Conceal
3x Jetbikes w/Shuricannon + Warlock with SS+Destructor

Elite:
6x Harlies w/Kisses + Shadowseer and Deathjester

Fast Attack:
6x Warp spiders with Exarch +2xDeathspinners
2x Vypers with Scatterlaser+Shuricannon
2x Vypers with Scatterlaser+Shuricannon

Heavy Support:
Wraithlord with flamers and BL+EML
Wraithlord with flamers and BL+EML
3x Warwalkers w/6x Scatterlasers and Spirit Stones

SMurfs: Aproximate

HQ:
Commander with jumppack
Librarian with jumppack
8x Jumppack Assault squad

Troops:
6x Las/Plas Squads with Vet+ Powerfist

Elite:
Techmarine

Fast Attack:
2x Tornado Landspeeder

HS:
2x Plasma Devastator squads with 4x Plasma 6 men total
2x Missile Launcher Devastator squads with 4x Launchers 6 men total

Board:
We had 25% terrain, with about half of it size 3. One side <SMurf> had mostly size 2 hills with 5+ cover and a bunker, while other side <Eldar> had a bunker and 1 area terrain forrest. The middle had 3 area terrain forrests making LOS hard across the board.

Setup:
My eldar set up with the vypers behind bunker and the forest along with the Warpspiders. Eldrad, Avatar, WG and harlies set up in a middle position to stomp up the center. One Wraithlord flanks either side of the WG, starting in cover. Warwalkers started far up in center, but redeployed behind bunker with Eldrad divination. Jetbikes on far right flank behind a lvl 2 hill.

Smurfs set up mostly in the open, with the las/plas squads spread across the board. The two missile dev squads were in the bunker, while the plasma ones were one on each flank. The Command jump squad with commander and librarian started behind the bunker. Tornados set up out of cover?! but near back of deployment. Techamarine went with one of the Missile Dev squads.

Turn 1: Eldar

Eldrad fortunes Avatar and WG squad, who move up with harlies behind towards center of board, and Eldrad guides WW squad. Jetbikes turboboost up a flank hiding behind another lvl 2 hill. Vypers move to get shots on the tornados but block LOS to most of the rest of SMurf army. WW move out in LOS of one Plasma Dev squad but blocked from all but one Las/Plas squad. Warpspiders jump behind middle forests.

WW's shoot and destroy entire Plasma Dev squad with fortune, hitting 20 shots and wounding 15 times. Both Tornados go down to great scatter laser fire from the Vypers. The  Wraithlords take pot shots at the single las/plas troops they can see, removing 3 models total.

Turn 1 Smurf:

Seeing that not much of his army is in LOS the smurf player moves up his remaining Plasma Devs and 4 of the Las/Plas squads. The command group jumps from behind the bunker and sets up behind some central forests. Missile Dev's stay in bunker.

The 2x Las/Plas troops both shoot at the Wraithlords and mange to wound the left most one once. End Turn 1

Turn 2: Eldar

Fortune goes again to WG but psychic hood prevents it on Avatar. WW are still close enough to guide and it happens. Eldrad,Avatar,Harlies and WL move up together. WWs move to get other Plasma Devs into LOS but also get in LOS of 2 las/plas troops. Vypers move to get LOS on same targets as WWs. Jetbikes move to get behind cover for next turn charge into Missile Dev squads in bunker. Warpspiders jump out to side of middle forest and gain LOS to command squad.

WWs again perform awesome and take out 5 of the 6 Plasma Dev squad, while Vypers combine fire to take out 4 of 6 on one of the Las/Plas troops. Wraithlord finishes off the Plasma Dev squad, while other Wraithlord kills one more of the depleted Las/Plas squad, leaving a single trooper with Lascannon and a full Las/Plas troop squad in LOS. Warpspiders shoot command squad and take out 3 members after saves are done with then jump back towards the WG squad getting an 11 inch jump to take them out of assualt range.

Smurf Turn 2:

Command squad jumps over trees to set up for assault on Wraithguard. Missile Devs still stay in bunker out of LOS of EVERYTHING! :) ! 3 of the Las/Plas troops move again to get LOS while 3 stay put to fire.

Command squad shoots into fortuned WG and everything bounces! The 3 las/plas troops all shoot into the untouched Wraithlord, and remove 2 wounds. <Not sure here why he didn't target the WWs or Vypers>

Command squad charges Wraithguard and manage to kill off 3, with Wraithguard striking back and killing 2. Consolidation happens. End Turn 2.

Turn 3 Eldar

Eldrad fortunes harlies and Avatar and attempts to guide WW again but the damn hood prevents it. Avatar, Harlies move up to join HtH combat. Warpspiders jump over towards las/plas squads, with Vypers following. WWs break to same side as as WS and Vypers to lay some hurt on those squads. Jetbikes move to destructor the packed bunker full of Missile Devs. Wraithlords move up to possibly support HtH but also drawing LOS on the troop squads that had shot at them.

WWs shoot at untouched Las/Plas squad and manage to take out 3, Vypers take down the other 3 with combined shuricannon and Scatterlaser fire. WraithLords decide to finish off the single Lascannon trooper with it taking both of them to do it, leaving a single Las/Plas squad in LOS. The warpspiders are just out of range for that squad and jump out of LOS back behind the forest. The jetbikes Destructor is drooling as his heavy flamer manages to hit 10 men out of the 12 men in the two Missile Devs in bunker. 3 in one squad fail saves and 1 in the other fail.

Avatar and Harlies charge into combat, ripping the squad apart completely and then consolidate into center of board still behind forest. Avatar went against the Librarian and showed him what HtH combat is all about by hitting 5 times, wounding 4 times and having the libby fail 3 out of 4 saves. The jetbikes and Dev squad did nothing to eachother, ending in a stalemate.

Marine Turn 3:

Other Dev squad in bunker moves to charge into jetbikes with the techmarine <which i had forgotten was there>. Las/Plas troop sits still to fire again. Not much else left at this point to do.

Las/Plas squad fires at hurt WL and kills it :(

Dev squad and techmarine charge into jetbikes and kill all but Warlock who made his inv save, and his leadership test.

The game ended at this point as the SMurf player conceded that there was no way he was going to pull this game out. He made some horrendous targetting errors, and in my opinion very poor deployment. Expecially bad was the tornados out in the open and the missile Devs in the bunker with almost no real LOS. I did get lucky with my WWs wiping out his Plasma Dev squads, but thats what happens when bodys start slapping doing the guide thing. The tornados going down in round 1 to my vypers was also nice, but again mass str 6 shots will do that to low armor vehicles when you dont keep them hidden. His command squad charging into my WG was a major mistake as I had the harlies and Avatar and Eldrad and the WL <if needed> there to counter charge. Overall I was pretty dissapointed in this win, because I felt that my opponent played very poorly from the beggining to the end. Oh well, maybe next time I can get a better game.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:55:35 PM by Suithap »
If its not broke, take a Mechanized Eldar list and break it.

Offline pathfinder

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • army funded with lotto winnings since 1996
Re: My first Battle Report-Eldar vs SMurf 2000pnt
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »
not much of a victory, it seems to me the guy may of not been trying.

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:01:33 PM »
Congrats on the win anyway. Yeah so you made a couple little mistakes, big deal, just don't forget. Which I doubt you will.

I am really surprised you forgot about your jetbikes, lol. Not to mention letting him charge your wraithguard. At least it wasn't too bad, and man your WW's KO'd him man.

Perhaps he just didn't know what to do. So he sat there, what was the mission btw?

I am kind of surprised he even tried to hth your wraithguard though, that leads me to believe he wasn't worried about your counter chargers, nor of the possibility if he didn't reach that wg unit on his charge, it really wouldn't have been pretty for him then, although it wasn't too pretty for him as it was.

Perhaps his heart just wasn't in the game. Interesting, any way congrats again, and good luck on your future games Suithap.

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
This sounds like the knid of game I often experience. (i like the combo of khaine and eldrad as well)
Plus, I'm also a huge scatter laser fan, so this reads almost exactly like one of my battles.

Using speed and LOS to control the pace of the game- once your opponent is in a bad position they jsut can break free of it.
Particularly vulnerable are static units like devastators, which cannot move and shoot at all, meaning they are easily managed using cover. command squads being fed to khaine and harlequins is brutal.

In this case, bad deployment made the outcome a forgone conclusion. He let you pick his squads apart one by one.

Furthermore, he should have made killing those warwalkers and vypers absolute top priority.
Both are extremely vulnerable to even the weakest of firepower, so not shooting at them is the one way to ensure a loss.

Offline downundercadet07

• Sleep easy, good people...
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:11:24 AM »
Good batrep-- I believe when a flamer targets a bunker, everything inside is automatically hit. Could be wrong though, and it probably wouldn't have done much, maybe killed one more marine.

Offline Suithap

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
Congrats on the win anyway. Yeah so you made a couple little mistakes, big deal, just don't forget. Which I doubt you will.

I am really surprised you forgot about your jetbikes, lol. Not to mention letting him charge your wraithguard. At least it wasn't too bad, and man your WW's KO'd him man.

Perhaps he just didn't know what to do. So he sat there, what was the mission btw?

I am kind of surprised he even tried to hth your wraithguard though, that leads me to believe he wasn't worried about your counter chargers, nor of the possibility if he didn't reach that wg unit on his charge, it really wouldn't have been pretty for him then, although it wasn't too pretty for him as it was.

Perhaps his heart just wasn't in the game. Interesting, any way congrats again, and good luck on your future games Suithap.

I didn't forget the jetbikes, I forgot the Techmarine in with his Devestator squad! That guy is slightly meaner in HtH than the squads themselves.

I usually don't want my WG to be charged, but in this case I had so much countercharge around that it was used as bait for his squad, as I was reasonably sure they wouldn't be wiped in one round. Oh and it was cleanse mission.

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 04:03:13 PM »
Hmm, cleanse mission. My favorite.

My mistake on you forgetting then.

Congrats, and thanks for posting the report, and also good luck on your future games.

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 04:54:02 PM »
I think the Flamer and bunker thing was 3rd edition.

Good batrep.  Sometimes you don't get great games but this guy didn't have a very impressive list.  It was very static and couldn't possibly counter the maneuverability of your list.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline robdark22

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:53:56 AM »
good job winning the match but i had  a queston did you explian to him that it was his frist time playing aganist eldar i hopeing that was it sound like. man it one thing to kick someone but it another that your kick down a flight of stairs that hurt the most. but other than that the terrain was perry as you said for reading the report. why didnt he ask what did what when was in the middle of the game so he could of learn how to fair a little better aganist his list. say the he was so confused that he just didnt get on what even to do when you should up to play and lost the game even before the first turn.
dag that come of good in a way for him maybe the next time he plays you he do better and read a six turn battle report on how you pulled a victory out of the jaw of defeat. and the list you have is very nice may i add to that. t

what i dont get is why only one squad with the same weapon thoe that didnt make any sence to me be a space  marine player my self. i always thought that it was better to have two each unit to make it easyier for you to play your game and miss his up. thank for the post also.
you live or die based on the decision you make it quick or i make it for you.

Offline Suithap

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:43:11 PM »
Rob,

Unfortunately this was an "experienced" Smurf player. He has been playing for like 10 years or something. Years playing though does not necessarily equal tactical brilliance. We did not exchange lists before we set up, so part of the problem was he didn't know what he was facing until everything was down. I generally deploy very similarly, no matter what I am facing, because my armies are built to do certain things regardless of what the opponent thinks is going to happen.

In the area I play in, we almost always takes turns placing terrain pieces, and I almost always place a few large blocking pieces of terrain in the middle of the board to help maximize my armies movement and LOS potential. I really hate setting up on a premade board with an open middle against certain armies like IG and Tau, so this probably benefits me more than certain armies.

Also, I do not generally give advice while playing the game against someone, as in my area that seems to tick people off. I do like to discuss it afterwards, and in this case the SMurf player admitted that he made many, many mistakes, and we both agreed that with some different placement and movement he probably could have made the game a lot closer.

I will try to get another battlereport out the next game I do, but sometimes it is hard to remember everything because I often play 3-5 games in a single day, and then they tend to run together in one large victorious blur. I was playing Mech Eldar exclusively, and had no losses at all in over 25 games. Now that I have switched to Ilyaden I have finally lost a match, and tied one as well, but I tend to think the level of play around my area is pretty poor overall. Or maybe I am just a cheesy, beardy, powergaming bastage or something <at least thats what I heard a lot about my Mech Eldar :P >

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 02:07:48 AM »
I typically make short hand notes on a piece of paper while I play so that I can do an accurate, detailed report later.  It doesn't take a whole lot of time out of the game as I write while my opponent is rolling and moving and such.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline robdark22

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 02:45:58 AM »
Suithap
 i  understand what your are saying of corse that it just seem likehe just beat himself not say that you had a hand a in it. i just everyone get a little fussy about when they play people for the frist or second time about in army they may not of seen before.
the terrain as you spoke of was fine just wondering if he was just helping himself to a game that would have been more fun for him as you would because it about having fun and kick each other but to the curb.  i also wish the next time we tpye on the same post that this also doesnt happen again be i think  may have misread what your were typeing also which may have been my bad i just get a really execited over what i was reading. but what for the info post you had a gg and gl luck on the army.
you live or die based on the decision you make it quick or i make it for you.

Offline Smellofwetdog

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 10:05:45 AM »
I saw that list up on the space marine boards the other day, we told him then that 1 troops choice and 4 HS was illegal FOC usage... but c'est la vie I guess... grats on the win...

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »
I saw that list up on the space marine boards the other day, we told him then that 1 troops choice and 4 HS was illegal FOC usage... but c'est la vie I guess... grats on the win...

More likely "c'est la guerre" ;)

And the way I intrepret the list and the report, he had 6x Las/Plas squads, not just one.

Decent report by the way. Not a fan of all the slang and abbrevations used. Also not very fond of the whole SMurf thing either, it's getting old. People would complain if I wrote an SM vs. Eldar report and called the Eldar Space Elves.

All in all, a good job though, and congrats on the win.

Offline Suithap

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 03:11:39 PM »
Yeah it was 6x las/plas squads. I would apologize for the abreviations, but without them the whole thing would take almost twice as long to write out. The SMurf complaint has been duly noted, and in the future I will leave it out, but this guys color scheme was actually blue white with a little black... :)

Offline Guardian of the Rose

• Like my new headshot???
    • Me, acting.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 07:33:48 PM »
Yeah, why DID he have 4 HS choices?  Sounds like he didn't know how to use them properly anyway.  It's funny to see how consistently the Wraithlord can be a fire magnet even though yours were anti-tank and he didn't have a single vehicle.  He could have ignored them all game, and they would have caused FAR less casualties then your tin foil vehicles.  Makes me want to put my Vyper back in my list.
There = a location
They're = short for 'They are'
Their = possessive for third person plural ('it belongs to them')

This message has been brought to you by the Obnoxious Grammar Police.

Offline Suithap

« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2007, 02:53:12 PM »
Yeah, why DID he have 4 HS choices?  Sounds like he didn't know how to use them properly anyway.  It's funny to see how consistently the Wraithlord can be a fire magnet even though yours were anti-tank and he didn't have a single vehicle.  He could have ignored them all game, and they would have caused FAR less casualties then your tin foil vehicles.  Makes me want to put my Vyper back in my list.

I believe he explained that he had 4 HS choices because of a SM trait Honor Your Wargear.

I am seriously thinking of including at least one Wraithlord in all my lists now because they seem to get a disproportionate amount of fire directed towards them. I think it is something about seeing a monstrous creature with 8 toughness than gets peoples panties in a twist.

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »
There is no SM Trait that would allow you to take 4 HS choices. Honour your Wargear allows you to take Devastator Squads as Elites and gets them Veteran Skills, and that makes his list legal, although there are some of those devs who have skills that are unaccounted for in the list.