News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: to raven or not to raven  (Read 1106 times)

Offline warlord lormutz

• i is only posing as a ork my real name is nonymous
to raven or not to raven
« on: June 6, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
i am in a bit of a dilemma. i have accidently painted a space marine in ultramarines colours without realising the full range of chapters. should i repaint him in my favourite chapter, the blood ravens or stay with the "vanilla" ultramarines. please comment. ???
shut dem mouths or i'z gonna close it personally with a squiggoth and a stompa.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: to raven or not to raven
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2010, 12:48:09 PM »
Well if the Ravens are your favourite, then it's obvious really. Don't do something for ease if you're going to be less happy.

Offline BaileyBankai, The epic ninja duck

• Orks, salemanders, cadians, i like green.
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
how many marines. if its just a squad or 2 then its not a problem. but if you have alot its going to be time consuming, but i say go for it if blood ravens are your fav. Check out the painting forum stickies to see how to strip them down so you can repaint them.

'i can pulp your flesh and snap your bones in less than a second and without so much as lifting a finger. what is the power of technology compared to that?' Vel'cona chief librarian of the salamanders.

Offline warlord lormutz

« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
well i have 24 marines, 1 land speeder, the ultramarines bike >:( and a land raider

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »
Its not the end of the world to repaint a model or two. I suggest you collect the army you like the look of and the background for most... and thats a question that only you can answer! :)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Aben Zin

• I *LOVE* having a customized personal text!
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2010, 05:11:39 PM »
It's not something I do myself (not painting a single model and all) but you can usually strip the paint off a model. I think nail polish remover is often used. But you should definitely use your favourite army colours!

Az

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »
DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER ON PLASTIC MODELS!!!

sorry to shout but your model will melt.

If you realy have to strip use something like undiluted original detol, or simple green. In most cases if your paintwork is nice and thin then a respray and repaint won't be noticed.

Paint the chapter you want to play. If you painted an ultra and want another chapter paint the other chapter instead. A single bike isn't going to break your army, So if you can live with it been the wrong colours then you could leave it. You could even go as far as to paint every model or unit in different chapter colours. There are no rules to prevent it. It's YOUR army. It's your choice.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
Just make your army a successor chapter. I keep mine, relatively, generic; skeleton space marines with steel and silver armour with red shoulder pads (or where ever their iconography would go). I use the "Emperor's Immortal Swords" as Crimson fists, Ultramarine, or blood angels (depending on my mood and insanity).

I made a mistake with my first batch of marines, making them heavily Dark Angels; I could barely use them as another SM force (once the DA codex started to get to old).
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #8 on: June 7, 2010, 12:48:12 AM »
I'm still a little bit confused.  Did you just paint the one bike?  Or all those models you listed.  If it's just the one model, I would definitely do the rest of your collection as Blood Ravens.  You can strip the one guy or turn him into a librarian on a bike as he's already blue.  You'll be happier to do your favorite chapter. 

Offline codexpete

• I am the killer of threads, just you wait and see
« Reply #9 on: June 8, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
I just love that you accidently painted some figures ;D. Did you trip and let them drop in a can of ultramarines.

Seriously though if you like the paint job you did why not keep em and at worst have a unit of ultramarines that are Allied with the blood ravens for a stouch or two. They would both use the same codex asfar as I am aware so it wouldn't be confusing to other players. 
It stands to reason that if painted models perform better, the thicker the paint job, the better the armour save

Offline warlord lormutz

« Reply #10 on: July 7, 2010, 12:35:26 PM »
it wasnt a trip really, more of a wrong can opened (ultramarine blue instead of blood red :-[). and i have only painted the bike. 8) 8) 8)