News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Ultimate Tolkien Mystery!  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Zyphit

• Thought of the Day: Make deeds, not words
    • Blackstone VI - Essential BFG Website!
The Ultimate Tolkien Mystery!
« on: February 6, 2002, 11:01:03 PM »
I've searching high and low for this.  ???

What does J.R.R. stand for?  I've never heard or seen him referred to in any other way.

Even this little biographical insert in his books doesn't decode his initials.

He must have a real name, I'm sure of it.   :D
The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says it's half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says it's so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it...

Cheantoa

Re:The Ultimate Tolkien Mystery!
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2002, 04:45:04 AM »
James Ronald Ruel.

As with most authors who love the writting, not the money, he keeps a certain air of privacy. oops I just blew that for him... good thing he's dead so he can roll in his grave....

Offline Jiaurtel

• As Ynnead rises Death shall reign supreme!
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2002, 01:11:17 PM »
Brutal you are such an atrocious heretic >:(
You want to know an even bigger mystery?
He is an actual Lord. His family to date hold an estate somewhere in UK and I am pretty sure he was a Colonel or some sort of Officer rank in UK army since he spent some time in Africa doing military service!

Offline Niran of Asha An

« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2002, 01:36:16 PM »
here's a trivia fact: tolkien was cast as Dr. Ransom by his friend CS Lewis in his famous space operas (not narnia, you ninnies!)
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Aulan Cnesha

« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2002, 03:12:29 PM »
Also, C.S. Lewis and Tolkien once had a competition.  Tolkien had to write a scifi novel and C.S. Lewis had to write fantasy.  Both were terrible and were never published.  I always thought it was Jonathan Ronald Ruel.  O well, its been awhile since I read a History of Middle-Earth book.

Offline Lord Calamir

• Member of the Council of Ulthwe
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2002, 04:40:11 PM »
Actually, it's John Ronald Reuel.
All hail Eldrad, for he shall safely guide us through the darkness until a new morning dawns.

Cheantoa

« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2002, 02:03:38 AM »
I knew it was one of them J- names... thanx for the correction....

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2002, 01:42:14 AM »
Yes, John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (the R.R. portion being a family name passed right on down the line, even though J.R.R. didn't seem to care for it).

As for the CS Lewis/JRR Tolkien books, CS Lewis books were indeed published - the Peralandra chronicles, and they are actually fairly good, given the time of their writing.  The last one is a bit lengthy and philosophical, but worth a read.  Basically about a philoligist (the aforementiond Ransom, based on Tolkien as a bit of an inside joke by Lewis) who ends up traveling to Mars with some criminals.
Tolkien was supposed to right a Time Travel story which was shared, in part, with the Inklings, but never published...Tolkien was always loathe to publish anything anyway, and he didn't care much for the story.

As for Tolkiens military history, he served in Europe in WWI.  It was while he was in the hospital that he started work on the Silmarillion.  It was one of his sons, Christopher, who served in South Africa with the RAF in WWII.

Any further questions can be directed to my office  ;D
Just kidding, but he is my favorite author and I have only written essays about him in High School/College a few dozen times.  If you've never read "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", you can get a decent insight of his opinions of himself and the reception of his fictional works.
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Cheantoa

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2002, 02:42:33 AM »
Do you right essays for minimum wage?

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2002, 10:59:14 AM »
Well, in college, I was writing essays and paying the university to do it  ???
However, if its a proposition to write essays for you down the road, I'd have to decline.  Having a degree in education, I have two views on this: 1) You don't learn unless you do it yourself, and 2) By golly, I had to suffer, so should you!  ;D
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld