News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Damn it summer....  (Read 3970 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Damn it summer....
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »

beslubber....
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: Damn it summer....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
Lucky you, its getting colder!

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »
You're right, I'd better break out the sweatpants again just in case.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »
I don't envy you.  I remember 42C in the shade in Spain in the 2003 heatwave, and that was awful.  Anything over 25C is too hot for me.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »
It's not a full on arse crack sweat storm till it breaks 50C. *Then* you're allowed to say it is indeed hot enough for everyone.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »
50 degrees Celsius feels like you're outside tanning even when you're sitting in the shade sipping on a cold beverage.  It's in the upper 30's here and we have 80%+ humidity.  Vegas has nothing on the southeast.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
We had recently a headwave of 38°C for a couple of days in Germany. Sleep was only possible for me by visiting the bathtub, filled with cool water and not leaving until i started shivering.

I am with Irisado on this, if id have my say the temperatures would never leave the 10-25°C area.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:03:50 AM »
I thought we had it bad here when it was hitting 32.  But I think I would rather have 40 with no humidity over 32 with humidity
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:04:52 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »
It's the humidity that's the killer here.  For example, tonight the temperature over night will only be around 15C, but the humidity is 75 percent.  That's the problem when it gets hot in this country, the humidity, particularly at night, is just awful.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
There's a handy little calculator for making rough comparisons:
Weather Converters

For instance if it's currently 35C with 80% humidity making it feel more like 56C.

Wind chill is also calculated at that link.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »
Had a working night last week when it was above 20C and humid during the whole night, that's quite unusual up here and very sticky, this week it appears to not go over 20C even during the day. I recall when I was in Joshua Tree Park and it was around 40C, I ended up mostly staying in the car with air conditioning and enjoying the desert from the car's windows... I am not made for that sort of temperature at all.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
I didn't think that it ever rose to 20C in Sweden :D :P.

It's 17C here, at the moment, but the promised humidity is 75 percent.  It's warm enough outside not to even put any kind of jumper on, which is just not right at this time of night.  It's really sticky, and close.

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
Sweden usually have pretty awesome summers with temperature between 20 - 35C and nights with few to none dark hours (depending on your latitude), in my totally objective experience waaay better than England's. :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »
It's really sticky, and close.

I didn't realise you've also met Mr. Peanut.

Sweden usually have pretty awesome summers with temperature between 20 - 35C and nights with few to none dark hours (depending on your latitude), in my totally objective experience waaay better than England's. :P

Invercargil was the same way for summers. Excellent temperatures and having twilight (no, not those) working for you rather than against you made for magnificent evening adventures.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »

You want to be here next week then, which is meant to be getting close to 30C with torrid levels of humidity :D!  Naturally, it will probably rain when you come over for the 40K Online tournament.  The law of days out is that it always rains.

I didn't realise you've also met Mr. Peanut.

I thought that was Goyder :D?

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 08:03:48 PM »
Last year had surprisingly good weather for my visit, I think the biggest problem with summer in England is that there appears to be no nice places to go bathing and the weather is pretty mercurial between rain, wind and sun.

Invercargil was the same way for summers. Excellent temperatures and having twilight (no, not those) working for you rather than against you made for magnificent evening adventures.

Quite different from Nevada for sure, I wouldn't probably last for a single summer. In general the darkness (and with the quickness that it arrives) of the summers abroad is probably what I find most foreign.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »
Last year had surprisingly good weather for my visit, I think the biggest problem with summer in England is that there appears to be no nice places to go bathing and the weather is pretty mercurial between rain, wind and sun.

That's true actually, now I come to think about it.  Let's hope that it's neither too humid, nor chucking it down with rain this time, as neither is much fun when carrying gaming cases around.

Horribly humid last night, so I didn't get much sleep at all.  Still, I should be so tired tonight, that humidity or no humidity, I'll be out like a light.  Flippin' British humid summer..... grumble, moan, chunter.....

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
I went to California (San Diego, Los Angeles, Palm Springs) and Nevada (Las Vegas) five years ago on a family vacation - and while San Diego was pretty cool due to being close to the Pacific - Palm Springs and Las Vegas were absolute nightmares. 45C. The wind did nothing but push hot air around - it was like someone was pointing a blowdrier in your face. Shade had little to no effect.

My sympathies, good sirs.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »
Recent scattered rains meant we've dropped back down to the mid 30's. With a leap in humidity to 40% of course. Mother Nature also decided to set fire to a local mountain range so we've had that to entertain us as well. Far better to have been a lightning strike as a source than a stupid tupenny shufflestain being the cause of course.

Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
Spectacular first picture there!

It's 40 percent humidity here too at the moment, and it's still too hot (27C).  It was 30C more or less on Saturday though, that was really awful.  I'm glad that it's not as high as it is where you are with that level of humidity.