News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Dark Angels + Vindicare.  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
1850 Dark Angels + Vindicare.
« on: October 1, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »
I mentioned here that I am experimenting with my current rendition on my Ravenwing, and figured I have until October 25th to get the army ready for a tournament.  So here is the list I have put together, I want to know what you guys think of it.

Combined Arms Detachment

HQ
Sammael:  Sableclaw.  200pts

Command Squad:  Standard of Devastation (rides in the Crusader).  165pts

Elites
Dreadnought:  Multi-Melta, Drop Pod.  135pts

Troops
Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 bikes w/ 2 Melta Guns, Sergeant w/ Melta Bombs, Land Speeder Typhoon w/ Multi-Melta.  271pts

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 bikes w/ 2 Plasma Guns, Land Speeder Typhoon w/ Multi-Melta.  276pts

Ravenwing Attack Squadron:  6 Bikes.  161pts

5 Tactical Marines:  Melta Gun, Drop Pod.  115pts

5 Tactical Marines:  Melta Gun, Drop Pod.  115pts

Heavy Support
Land Raider Crusader:  Multi-Melta.  260pts

Officio Assassinorum Detachment
Vindicare Assassin150pts.

Total Points:  1848
Model Count:  42

The biggest variable here is the Assassin.  Usually I can look at each unit in the game and think along the old lines of "yes, that can make its points back by the end of the game," usually referring to them killing something equivalent to their points value or greater.  But when I look at the Vindicare, I know he won't operate along those lines.

I know that if he survives the entire game, I am going to get at most 7 shots out of him, but probably more likely to get 5 or 6.  When I look at the game in a practical sense, I know he isn't going to survive as he is too much of a threat to many things for my opponent to let him live.  But can that be used to my advantage?  Is the fear he brings to the table combined with his ability to take out key special weapons enough to justify the points cost?

I have already used this list in one game, and with the deployment being Hammer and Anvil, I got some decent use out of him before he died on the third turn.  My opponent infiltrated sniper scouts with a missile launcher to get shots at him, and when the ML missed, the Vindicare's first shot was to eliminate that model from the table to protect himself as well as my Land Speeders.  His second shot stunned a Land Raider carrying his Chapter Master and Assault Centurions at the other end of the table.  That vehicle now being immobile for a turn prompted my opponent to disembark the unit there.  He then threw a Stormraven with a Dreadnought and Tactical squad towards the Vindicare to have the Stormraven kill him.

So I am looking to get some more games in with the list, but looking at that first game, my opponent effectively dedicated over 400pts to kill 150pts and delayed getting needed units in the battle because he feared the potential of the Vindicare.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Keira

• Parlay!
Re: 1850 Dark Angels + Vindicare.
« Reply #1 on: October 1, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
The list seems solid. I imagine the bikes will be gathered around the raider while the skimmers sit back & the pods strike deep behind enemy lines to cause disruption (& take first blood)

Assuming that's the way I see the dreadnaught & tac squads could end up as one shot suicide squads so to maximise the changes of them doing the job I'd suggest a combi melta on the sergeants if you can find the points.

Otherwise the list seems solid to me

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: 1850 Dark Angels + Vindicare.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:23:07 PM »
Well this is the list I have decided to take to a tournament this coming Saturday.  I have gotten a few games in with the Vindicare and the only game where he has completely failed to influence the game was against Tyranids, as his biggest ability is picking out one model in a squad. 

But you are right Keira, the bikes will be gathered around the Land Raider, while one squad (either melta or plasma) will be pushing ahead to threaten certain units as the need arises.  The one thing I have begun using the Drop Pod squads for is while the close in melta shots are nice, dropping two Objective Secured units near a group of objectives has really saved my bacon in the past.  Especially as my gaming group has really latched on to how different the Maelstrom missions are.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...