News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 Tournament-army  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
1750 Tournament-army
« on: March 1, 2014, 05:16:55 PM »
I don't like tournaments, but I am playing in one anyway. So there.

1750, with some sort of composition-points that the players are scored on, but the rules for this is not disclosed before the tournament.

Captain, Artificer, Powersword (just keeping the points down, goes with Vanguard)

Librarian - level 1 (goes with Tactical with Flamer)

Techmarine with harness (goes with Tactical with lascannon)

5 Vanguard, one powerfist, Razorback, Extra armour, Lascannon

Tactical Squad   3x
   1x Lascannon
   Veteran Sergeant with Powerfist
Razorback   Extra armour, Twin-linked lascannon

Tactical Squad   3x
   1x Heavy Bolter
Rhino   Extra armour, Extra stormbolter

Tactical Squad   3x
   1x Flamer
Rhino   Extra armour, Extra stormbolter

Tactical Squad   3x
   1x Plasmagun
Droppod   

Stormtalon Gunship   
   Skyhammer missile launcher

Bike Squadron   Bike x2
   Attackbike x1 (Multimelta)

Devastators   4x Lascannon
   Sergeant with Powerfist

Whirlwind   Whirlwind multiple missile launcher, Searchlight, Smokelauncher, Extra armour

Predator Annihilator   Twin-linked lascannon, 2 sponson Lascannons, Searchlight, Smoke Launcher, Extra armour

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Idaho

Re: 1750 Tournament-army
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
If you don't mind me giving you honest advice, for tournaments you need to ensure you have a chance against more optimised lists. I never like to completely change a list though.

You've got a lot of points invested in stuff you don't really need:

You don't need extra armour on anything. You don't need a power fist in a Tactical squad or a Devastator squad unless acting as a bodyguard for the characters when in assaults. 

You don't need a Techmarine. A level one Librarian is only useful as a cheap leader. Add a second mastery level.

So cutting every squad powerfist except those belonging to Sergeants with Characters, all extra armour and that Techmarine, you got (off top of my head) 255pts spare.

I'd suggest putting this into more bodies for the Vanguard, swapping their Razorback with a Tactical Rhino, adding a combi to the Drop squad and seeing what else you got available after that.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2014, 02:32:03 AM »
Thank you for your advice.

Let's disregard the tournament-aspect for a minute. I am not there to win the tournament, only to have some fun and meet new people. I don't care if they step all over my little army.

Any general advice to the army as it stands? The idea is to make a mechanized force that can take on both loads of bodies (orks, critter-nids) and heavier armies (inq, Marines, CSM). A powerfist (mitten) in each squad will be a good extra bonus to deal with diverse obstacles, and the techmarine does much the same (plus I love the mini I have for him). I might cut the bikers out to beef up the Vanguard and get them a rhino, but vehicles that are supposed to move but get stunned are useless, and all of them are modelled with extra armour (and the tournament is WYSIWYG) so I think it has to remain extra armoured.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2014, 05:25:00 AM »
If you don't want to drop the war gear I understand. It is your list after all.

Looking at keeping the list and making it work, I'd say it's a case of focus fire and utilising each squad alongside the others to overwhelm targets. You'd be better off 3 squads killing a unit that 3 squads damaging a unit each, in most circumstances.

Either advance enmasse or hang back together. The squads are fragile so feeding them piecemeal to opponents is a recipe for disaster.

For the record (and I missed it last post) I'd suggest dropping the Veteran Sergeants for points too.

What Chapter are you using? If you have a choice (DIY) then I'd suggest Ultramarines to boost all those Tactical squads or Iron Hands.

Oh and if you had Sternguard instead of Vanguard you would have a fit for the army better, but again if you want to keep them in your list I understand.

I never like to turn people's lists into replicas of my own. Everyone is entitled to play how they want and enjoy.

Now don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2014, 11:18:11 AM »
Hey Rasmus and Idaho,

A quick question for clarification does
Tactical Squad 3x
Mean that the there are an extra 3 Marines in the Squad?

I agree with most of what Idaho said, but I wouldn't necessarily drop the Veteran Sergeant upgrade off your Tactical Sergeant as the extra point of Leadership can be very beneficial. 

I would add Meltabombs into your list and add more Special Weapons and Combi-Weapons into the list.  Your Drop Pod Squad and your Bike Squad would most benefit from these.

I would also drop the Captain and upgrade your Tech Marine into a Master of the Forge, making him well worth while!

For Chapter Tactics Ultramarines and Imperial Fists would be good for your Devastator and Tactical Marines?  And if you go for one of these two then perhaps drop the Predator Annihilator for a Devastator Squad with Missile Launchers with Flakk Missiles?

All the best and have fun!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Idaho

« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
I believe the 3x reference is to the amount of bodies in the squad, with the special weapon and Sergeant listed separately, totalling 5 per squad.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2014, 02:08:24 AM »
It means 3 normal marines, apart from any specials listed below it.

I like the veteran sergeants too, but I will look at the points. I just wanted a mitten in every squad.

I agree with the inclusion of the melta bombs. I will look into that.

While I understand upgrading the Techmarine the Captain is just too powerful to drop, and will lend a LOT of punch to the squad he joins.

I have to look into chapter tactics, as I don't normally play marines I had plum forgotten about them.
I don't have devastators with missile launchers, so I fear I will have to let my flyer handle the anti-air and focus on the ground. I wish I could take my Aegis and Quadgun (because I don't use GWs models but have pretty ones)

I will amend my list and post the new one later this week. Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »
Hmm okay... A few more thoughts...

If you're willing to pay for mittens you may as well get, Lightning Claw, Combi-Weapon and Meltabomb, instead as it only costs a little bit more...

The Drop Pod Tactical Squad needs to have more men otherwise it will disappear quickly.

I think that playing with all 5 man Squads is risky, so would be interested to hear if it pays off :)

All the best!

Slick Samos

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2014, 02:51:22 AM »
I am deciding to drop out of the tournament. Time-constraints. Thanks for your feedback though.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
Shame :/ No problem though :)

Rasmus, could you PM me pictures or something the models you're using to satisfy my curiosity? 

Thanks!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
All of the models are in the youtube-clip in my signature.