News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First Minis of 2010: Blood Angels Army Blog  (Read 9004 times)

Offline GlauG

• Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • My CMoN Gallery!
First Minis of 2010: Blood Angels Army Blog
« on: June 9, 2010, 08:08:08 AM »
EDIT:  This ended up growing into a blog for my BA army in general.  For stuff other than the Librarian Dreads, skip a page. :)

So, I've been busy with uni, and hurt my wrists, so I've not done any mini painting literally all year, but now my exams are over and my wrists are  a bit better, so I thought I'd give myself a challenge; paint a new 40k army before I hopefully leave for Japan at the end of the summer.  I started on GW stuff with "Angels of Death" back in the mid-90's, and usually play Dark Angels, but I've got an old Blood Angels army in need of renovating, so I thought I'd resurrect them with the new codex.  Then I read about Furioso Dreadnought Librarians, and decided they'd be a great piece to model...  this is the result.

For what it's worth, this is my first real attempt at NMM and object-source lighting. I flirted with both for my GD entry last year, but totally sucked at them both.   Following some feedback elsewhere, it became the following;

But now I feel like I've overdone the OSL, and I'm not very happy with it. :(

On the conversion side, it's got fully articulated shoulders with about 4 points of articulation each, and the hand is from a 1/100 MG God Gundam model. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:18:54 AM by GlauG »

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Re: First Mini of 2010: Furioso Librarian Dreadnought
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2010, 04:28:59 PM »
The painting is great and the blade is cool, but I'm not so sure about the hand.  It just doesn't look very 40kish. ???

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2010, 04:44:14 PM »
Damn you! I wanted to win the "Guess that Gundam" game ;D

I like it, a lot. Though admittedly, the force weapon looks unwieldy. Great paintjob.

Offline Host of the Tumultuous Storm

• My name + Host of the Tumultous Storm(Night Lords)
    • Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »
it looks great, but to be honest i feel as if both arms are a tid too big. if you look at any dreadnoughts arms, they're all surprisingly (to me, at least) small, especially the chainfist arms, they're so small! the items you have here look great, but in practice are really quite different to all the other models.  At first i felt like the gundam hand was a staff, which i think would really lay into the feel of a librarian dreadnought- and that's a fairly easy conversion for you to stick it on a pole, close a normal powerfist's fingers around it, and it would give you what you want while at the same time maintaining the idea of the mini.

The blade, as stated previously, is a bit too big for the model, back to the chainfist reference.  it's only about a third the siz of the blade you have there.  Perhaps cut it down to half the size it is now, and it would be more accurate to what the other dread's have? Just a suggestion, because I love the blade now, it just doesn't fit with any other dread's there are ^.^

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
Could you get other pictures from different angles? It would help incredibly with judging it.
From this angle we can't tell much about the hand.

Painted very well though.  :P
I lurk here so much.

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:25:49 PM »
Thanks a lot guys :)

Newheretic - Yeah, there were other hands which were slightly more 40k-looking, but at the end of the day it's the right colour and I like it, so it'll do. :)

Kabal, Raktra, the arms are deliberately a bit oversized...  Kinda.  I couldn't not make the fist arm huge and use the parts I wanted, so I added the "Buster Sword" Force Weapon to balance it out aesthetically.  The thing's bigger than a Terminator!

Jakinder, your wish is my command :)  I stripped back a little of the light, and took some photos from other angles so you can get a better look.  I just need to sit down and work on the NMM, as well as the parts that aren't being glared upon by the hand.

However, more importantly, my fledgling Blood Angels had a great day for their first game; allied with some Guard against Imperial Fists and a friend's counts-as-Mechanicus Space Marines, and even better, my Furioso Libby basically destroyed 3 times his own points value.  1 Dread, 2 Venerable Dreads, and one Ironclad all fell before him, exploded by the God Finger. :P  Unfortunately he was felled by Pedro Kantor while squishing him in return.  At any rate, I realised that the only thing better than one cool model is two of them, so I took the spare parts from the Ven. Dread kit and began to assemble his brother!

Aside from the Ven Dread bits, he's made up from a Sanguinary Guard head, random Marine tank crew torso, a Rhino Cupola, misc bits from the Imperial Sector building pack, the H/K missile launcher from the Ironclad Dread, and lots of styrene sheet, tube, metal wire, and WAVE/Kotobukiya option parts.  I'm surprised at how fast he's come along (I only started on Thursday night), but basically I only have to attach the power plant (the grey piece lying separate) and some spare arms I'll be modding, as well as some cables.  Not sure about what to do with the arms yet, maybe this time paint him using a glowing sword or something.    And might not use a Gundam hand this time...

• Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
Yea, while I like the hand's color and all, but the fingers are in a weird position  :P
I feel like he's a dreadnought out of star trek  ::)

But while thats not too big an issue, realy.  Just feel like the sword is too big xD

Offline kasrkin43

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
Dont really like it at all. The blade and hand make an already unrealistic model look even moreso and I really think you overdid the whole "light as different paint colors" effect.

Offline Pershore

• You are in error, no-one is screaming
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 04:07:54 AM »
But while thats not too big an issue, realy.  Just feel like the sword is too big xD

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no such thing as 'too big' a weapon  ;)

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 06:57:05 AM »
Kasrkin43 - for what it's worth, we're talking about a genetically enhanced superhuman, entombed within a ripoff of the badguy from Robocop 2, who also has Psychic Powers.  Realism went out the door a while ago. :)  I do agree about overdoing the OSL though.  :/ 

As for the hand, I have a couple of alternative hands in slightly different poses I'll take snaps of to compare.  Yes, all made of clear "glowing" plastic. :P

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 09:43:23 AM »
I think it looks perfect.
Really, who wants to see the same old dread in every battle? This shakes things up.

Please make the second one as ridiculous.
I lurk here so much.

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
Jakinder - Thanks!  The next one will be a bit different, but similar.  It'll be holding a staff as long as a tank, if that's ridiculous enough for you. :)

Okay, found an alternative hand for the first Dread, please try and ignore the colour as best you can and tell me if the shape is any better. :P  Besides that, did some work on the scratchbuilt one, added piston detail and cables to the legs, basically finished up the torso, just need to build the arms and I'm done!

• Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 11:44:16 PM »
Oh my lord yes that hand is a million times better!
Perfect looking for the dread that he is, In my opinion...

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 07:12:35 AM »
Interesting, several other hand-naysayers agree with you, Kabal. :)  Unfortunately I'll have to do one up in orange if I want to use it permanently, which is a bit of a pain.

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »
Well, I finally got round to doing the arms, was distracted by Terminator Librarians and someone giving me something like £200 of Grey Knights and other assorted minis. 

They're a bit longer than I'd have liked, but it gives him this whole Big-O feel, which looks good next to Brother-Librarian God Gundam in my mind. :)  I've since stuck the winged blooddrop shoulder pad bits from the Death Company sprue on his forearms.

Just need to make the staff and he's good to paint. :)

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:11:15 PM »
What a manly model. I really feel that a staff won't be adequate though. He is in a pose that needs more.

But that's just my opinion.

Love the work, GlauG.
I lurk here so much.

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 09:26:19 PM »
For what it's worth, he's actually pretty posable still. :)  Not glued anything in place, wasn't going to till the staff was done...  I'll probably have it holding the staff in the right hand.  But thanks!

Offline ogyon

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 03:26:59 AM »
really nice work on the conversion!

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 12:50:52 PM »
Oooh!
What if you make it so he is holding the staff with both hands!
That's what popped into this dull head of mine after you said the hands were still posable.
I lurk here so much.

Offline Burias Drak'Shal

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 01:29:50 PM »
Looks very good!
Look forward to seeing how you paint the next one!
Iron Warriors and Word Bearers Summer project 2010
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=201696.0