News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Roleplay Review  (Read 4289 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Roleplay Review
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
Heh, I killed O' Rum.

A stigma you've already been branded with.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline 42

• Cry havoc and let lose the dogs of war
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »
frak i died and yeh Iin hindsight I really should have realised he was the patriarch and soz talon I did say I amimed to ram it down your throat but could av mised lol i am only bs3 and yeh I think more general orders via pm for the groups and sets of groups at the start would make life easier and how did I kill pax by following rummy?
How the Chimney-sweepers cry 
       Every blackning Church appalls,
       And the hapless Soldiers sigh
        Runs in blood down Palace walls

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2007, 07:45:42 PM »
so, resting on a decade of D&D experience, I would suggest the following:

1.) people can still be surprisingly open-ended and creative, even with a restrictive ruleset.

2.) If you don't want people coming up with the result of their actions, someone else has to. In D&D, it's "I attack the kobold" and the DM says "you kill it". Otherwise, it becomes players saying "I attack the kobold and kill it". This leads to a lot of the minor problems that happened.

3.) D&D is packaged into scenarios. This makes it so that players are guided through a story, rather than wandering aimlessly with vague objectives and thinking up things to do. The reason I quit out in the middle is that I felt like I could read an entire page of posts while still getting the feeling that absolutely nothing was going on. Thus, I think that there needs to be a lead that actually drives the story, rather than it just sort of randomly going along.

So, in conclusion, I think that it needs to be set up with the thread creator (or a nominee) as the person driving the story (and presenting obstacles to prevent the players from easily achieving their objectives), and people need to get feedback from their actions, while being restricted from creating it themselves.

And you guys want a map? I'll spend the next ten minutes drafting something simple for you all, how's that?

EDIT: Allright. For those of you who think there should never be a map (and I can think of some good reasons myself), don't click here. I say this as it's a highly abstract, scaleless, impression of what it COULD look like.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 08:11:29 PM by Ailaros »

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2007, 07:48:54 PM »
And you guys want a map? I'll spend the next ten minutes drafting something simple for you all, how's that?

No thank you. Leave it nebulous if you please.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Kludkerdunk

• Nervous as a very short nun at a penguin shoot
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »
I really enjoyed the RP, although I was a little disappointed I never got to shoot my bolt pistol  ;)  As others have said, the middle was a little unguided and people in groups were often limited if other members didn't post enough.

A massive thanks to Spiteful and anyone else who ran, organised and thought up the RP though.

cheers
kludkerdunk

ps, I expect those bionics to be TOP quality when they arrive!
74th Cadian
Commanding Officer: Colonel Kaze

W/L/D
4  2 2   

Last Game: 900 pts win against Marines.....it was a MASSACRE! :D He killed a sentinel and 6 guardsmen...I killed roughly 30 marines including a tooled - up command squad! And our luck was about average!

Quote from Spiteful on joining the 40th Corps:
In short it involves a ritual where you sell your soul to me, your body to goyder and your booze to rummy.

Offline Skankin_Catachan

• Colonel
  • why?!why?!why was i programed to feel pain!?
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »
i was happy to die in this scenario... somewhat early, but who cares.
maybe we should close the thread after the first week to know who is in the story, allowing other posters to get familiar with the other characters personalities. I made a fatal mistake by trying to control other characters based on their personalities, but proved to be wrong. I feel that having a small degree of control over other posters' actions helps move the scenario forward.

in short, lets do the first week of posting to introduce the characters, where they are, and limit random drop ins by other members that may clutter the story.