News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: need help with eldar  (Read 550 times)

Offline craig plummer

• Newest
need help with eldar
« on: September 14, 2006, 10:48:04 PM »
Hi everyone, hope you are having a great night. First time post. New to the 40 k 4th edition rules. Play a few games with against my brother. We got most the rules down are next game will be a 750 point game. He plays the Eldar likes to use the warp spiders and viper and the howling banshee we have not aloud multiple wounds yet so no warlords. But he will probably field them as well. Was wandering what is a good force to fight with. What are your typical size tactical squads and what up grades do you use, How much is to many and what faction of space marine fares the best against the eldar since they are the only ones i fight not alot of people play. Any help would be appreciated and thank you for your time
PS we are not using infiltrating yet maybe in a few more games thank you.

Offline Qui-Gon Jinn

• Jedi Master of the Editorial Order, TechMarine
  • May the Force be with you!
Re: need help with eldar
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:13:45 PM »
Generally 6-8 man squads are best for squads with Heavy Weapons while 8-10 man if you want to get in Hand to Hand Combat.
Best weapons against Eldar are Flamers,Plasma Guns,Heavy Bolters, and Missile Launchers.
If he uses vehicles it is best to go with Meltaguns if the Squads are going to be going close or Lascannons/Missile Launchers if you want to shoot them out before they get too close to you.
Keep your units in cover for use against their AP 3/2/1 weapons for Cover saves.If you are sure to be getting in CC with your Tactical Squads,give Sergeants 2 CCWs and a Power Sword or Power Fist.You will rarely hit first against Eldar with their I5.Frags for Squads that get close.

Your HQ is a Command Squad yes?  That is the only HQ(other than Termies and Heros) that you can use.Set this up for CC with the Furious Assault Rule for your guys.Make sure you have power weapons and Power Fists.

Chaos Daemon Army
The Army in all its glory!
The Battle Reports of the Army

W/L/D
55/11/7

Chaos Poster of 2009!
Bow before me! :P

Offline Mordekiem

• Initiate
  • That was easy!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 12:02:58 AM »
At this stage heavy bolters will ruin his day.  They will eat up banshees and vipers.  The spiders are tougher because of there better armor, but a plasmagun will put the hurt on them as well as well as the great number of heavy bolter shots.  So I'd say get some 6-8 man squads with a heavy bolter and a plasmagun.  Maybe put together some missle launchers for when you get to the heavier stuff.  A devastator squad with 4 heavy bolters and 4 regular marines will absolutely destroy things.
When you start to get into tanks then whirlwinds will also give him headaches.

A quick FYI.  The eldar are getting a new codex in late OCT, early NOV.  so he will have new rules.  Most  units are getting at least a minor revision.  Some units will get major revisions.  Spiders, banshees and vipers should all be about the same.  Wraithlords are getting some major overhaul (and a sweet new model).

Other than that I hope you both have alot of fun.  Hopefully you will both be able to have fun and not keep tweaking your armies to keep killing the other better.  My bro and I did that for awhile and it ended up boring and not fun.
Mordekiem

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:00:18 AM »
Welcome to 40kOnline!

What Eldar players rightly fear are
- Tornados for hunting down Vypers, chasing Falcons and Serpents, and wiping out Eldar troops.
- Librarian with the mandatory psychic hood.
- drop podded squads which land among their troops, anti-infantry: 7 Marines w/ flamer (x2) + 1 Vet Serg w/ power fist.
- Whirlwind vs. Dark Reapers and other troops.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 02:12:19 AM by Wuestenfux »

Offline TheHippieTurtle

• Cheese is the cry of a coward who can't adapt.
    • The Best Page in the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 02:10:11 PM »
whirlwinds! I play both Eldar and marines, and as eldar, one of the scariest things I can see across the table from me is a whirlwind. especially for aspect warriors. at 80 points a piece, they are incredibly cheap, and either missile variant is extremely effective. I recomend taking two, especcially if you go wiht castellans, but if you are in need of more heavy support slots in larger gmes, they can be a hassle. but in small games, I strongly recommend them.
LAZARUS is the most intelligent person I have ever met. (except for Maddox)

The Best Page in the Universe:
http://maddox.xmission.com/

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 07:59:17 AM »
If he uses vehicles it is best to go with Meltaguns if the Squads are going to be going close or Lascannons/Missile Launchers if you want to shoot them out before they get too close to you.

Well this isn't strictly true.
Eldar vehicles are all fast skimmers, which means that you can generally only ever get glancing hits on them.
But they also never have an AV greater than 12.

So your best bet against the vehicles is massed mid-strength firepower. Plasma guns, autocannon, assaultcannon, heavy bolters.
You really want the greater number of shots that these weapons will give you, whilst the lower S will still easily glance his low armour.
Even bolters will ruin the day of vypers and warwalkers since they are both AV10 open topped.

The high S and low AP of Lascannon, missiles and melta are all a total waste...while the low rate of fire will hurt you more than him in the end.

Dizzy