News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What is this turret?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Flash

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
What is this turret?
« on: July 1, 2015, 04:33:04 AM »
So, I've bought a large amount of Eldar of one of my friends. I'm currently going through the stuff to find out what is usable and what will need a lot of work.

I came across this resin turret and I can't figure out what it is for. Any assistance would be very welcome.

It's scatter lasers of some sort, but that's as far as I got.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: What is this turret?
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2015, 07:15:30 AM »
Its from the discontinued Eldar Firestorm from Forge World. Its basically a longer range skyfire interceptor Scatter Laser with some minor rules modifications. Its actually a great tank, but way over-costed. Nice pick up I wish I had gotten one when they were available because they'd be very nice in an Apocalypse game
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Flash

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2015, 04:59:07 PM »
Ahh, that explains why I couldn't find it in IA13 or the codex.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: July 2, 2015, 06:59:31 AM »
Its most updated rules are in IA11 (Corsairs) unfortunatley it looks like it doesn't have interceptor. But it is skyfire, with ridiculously awesome range and double the normal shots for a scatter laser.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #4 on: July 2, 2015, 09:50:28 PM »
The Firestorm is, and has always been, a poor Eldar tank.  Fortunately, its turret is a good Eldar representation of a Quad Gun as part of a scratch-built equivalent of the Aegis Defense Line.
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: July 2, 2015, 10:28:18 PM »
Don't confuse air defence vehicles with main battle tanks. Different roles for different hulls.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2015, 07:54:32 AM »
For the points its not worth it at all in 1000-2000 pt games. Especially when you can rock a Nightwing for significantly less points. However in a big Apocalypse games if you have the model I'd definitely use it. Hide it in cover keep it out of trouble and with its high volume of shots and monster 60" range it'll definitely help out against AV 10-11 flyers. Based purely on its stat-line its a middle of the road support vehicle that can help out in a pinch. Worthy of painting but only worthy of playing in big games where you have the points.

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 05:02:01 AM »
Don't confuse air defence vehicles with main battle tanks. Different roles for different hulls.
Except that the Firestorm is miserable at its role due to its high points cost.  When flyers were rare, expensive, Apocalypse-only models, the Firestorm was comparably priced.  The problem was that even then it was better to just ignore the flyers and use the points to field better units.  No point in entering an arms race to see who can take the least efficient unit.
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.