News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pianting Models White  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
Pianting Models White
« on: January 9, 2009, 01:01:33 PM »
I've got a bunch of Space Marines, the Colour scheme is White and Royal Blue - similar to White Consuls but not exact.
i've sprayed them with Skull White, and pianted a lay of Skull white on. Just wondered how many layers it would take to make the White, White. Rather than a plastic dirty White or even if i'm going about it the right way?

any info, would be greatly recieved.
Thanks.

Z

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
Re: Pianting Models White
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
Prime white, that's all there is to it. Duplicolour white primer should cover up everything if you get a good enough coat.

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »
Me and my Deathwing feel for you. I hate primering in white though; I end up having to put about three coats of white on my termies, and possibly having to do additional coats to get an odd spot.
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:47:28 AM »
Never really had that problem. I mean, I use my paints very thick, but that's just me.

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »
ok, heres what i've done.

Sprayed my plastic models with Skull White.
Painted 2 layers of Skull White paint.
and then a 3rd layer with a mix of Skull White and Asurmen Blue (wash)

which as given me a nice very nice white.

How ever my models just look like White Clumps now, i've tryed dry bushes the wash, chao black paint, boltgun metal paint. just to try and add some defination and define the details (i.e: round the knee pads) but all it does is scruffy up the Nice White...
So i'm kinda stuck.
i've used Chao black paint, to paint the joint parts which as worked... but cos the GW brush are cheap and me not being an expert painter...the black lines are straight but not very straight.

Any ideas how to make them less like white clumps?

if i cant figure this out... i'm just gonna paint them Purple or something... lol.

Z

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 06:27:04 PM »
I'd suggest priming white, painting with an off-white basecoat such as astronomican grey and blend up to the level of white you're looking for, then using badab black to edge the plates.

Most white primers won't be a perfect white so you're usually better just using it as an easy way to get an initial light coverage rather than relying on it as giving the true finish colour. Especially in the stated example of 3 or 4 spray sessions, which will just clog up all the details of the model.  Spraying it more won't help you get spots that are blocked by the spray; accept when it's time to pick up the brush.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 04:49:28 AM »
I suggest that you water down your paints to a thinner consitancy... this way you can do multiple coats as you have said, without your model looking like a clump of paint.  try it it really works.

And for a good white, try starting off with a basecoat of spacewolf grey then do 2-3 thin coats of white, the spacewolf will act as a shade and slightly alter the tone of the white.

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:09:49 PM »
Cheers for that advice, might give it a try.
seems very do-able.

Z

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• Brother Sergeant
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • This is not a Space Marine
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Tyranids
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
I'd suggest priming white, painting with an off-white basecoat such as astronomican grey and blend up to the level of white you're looking for, then using badab black to edge the plates.

This sounds like good advice. I'm just starting nids, with a white scheme (I forget the hive fleet - the one from the codex, more or less), but both my other armies are black, so I'm new to white basecoating. I'm finding the GW white primer very unsatisfactory compared to black, but if that is the way of things then I'll just basecoat in astronomicon, which I know covers well, then highlight up.

Offline Happy-Cake!

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:57:52 AM »
Never really had that problem. I mean, I use my paints very thick, but that's just me.

Really? Judging from your orks, I would never have guessed you used "very thick" paint.

Fess up! You paint on thin. =)

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:00:24 AM »
for my apothecary i used skull white undercoat and then badab black wash straight on
then one coat of skull white un watered down.

Worked fine :)
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »
Ok so here what i've done - any for anyone esle painting white:

I've Sprayed them with Skull White Spray to base them.
then i watered down some Foundation Paint-Astronomican Grey, and coated the models with this light mixture. Once dryed i added a Lay of Skull White Piant and to add finishing touches i watered down some Chaos Black and lightly applyed that in specific areas - leg joints, vents etc.

all of that as given me a dirty looking white, which looks like my Models are Wartorn, and been in a few fights, but nor as it given me a gleaming white that looks almost "unreal". which is good.
on certain models i've topped them up with more Skull White, to show them alil cleaner. it does add a nice mix to models

Z

Offline scottdsp748

• My Coolminiornot.com Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:54:42 PM »
Tamiya white primer gives a more brilliant spray-on white than GW, and coats a bit more smoothly as well.  If you're going for a really bright white (or even a really bright orange or yellow etc) it's tough to beat, though it is spendy.