News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: scheme advice, bone/deep red, feasible?  (Read 865 times)

Offline Demosthenes

scheme advice, bone/deep red, feasible?
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »
i have decided to pick up eldar again and was thinking of applying a similar colour scheme to my fantasy army, that is a bone colour for the armour with deep red as the secondary colour for robes, cloth, face plates etc; and applying this across every model, including aspects and characters.

thus, my question to the experienced painters with probably a little more vision than myself, would this work for the whole army? will the complexities and differing details of the various aspect warrior squads (particularly swooping hawks and dark reapers) necessitate too many different colours or result in a flat looking model?

more importantly will the army look good as a whole, or will all the units look too similar?

ps. for predominantly bone colour would one recommend a white primer and more or less straight to bone with highlights or a black primer and base coats up through browns to bone?

thanks

Offline Dark Eye

• Not too shabby
    • Dark Eye Studios
Re: scheme advice, bone/deep red, feasible?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »
Having an Eldar army all the same colour, across Aspects as well, does work. Thankfully, Eldar Aspects, bar Dire Avengers, all look very different from afar. Dire Avengers are simply tarty Guardians.

If you are gonna do the same colour scheme across all units, definitely avoid what I tried back in the day which was adding touches of their default Aspect colour, as this ends up complicating the army's overall look and can look messy.

As for bone and red, I know it so well as my Eldar were also bone coloured!!! Who'd have thought?! When painting bone, don't ever start with a black undercoat - it's a noob's mistake. Can you imagine painting a Falcon from a black undercoat up to Bleached bone? It would take forever, need a million coats of each colour and could still look messy. I started from a white undercoat, Bleached Boned the entire model with maybe two coats. Then went into the recesses and shaded areas with thin Snakebite Leather (or other suitable brown), and then highlighted with white. Quick, simple and looked really good.

It'll obviously prove an issue for the dark red areas, but a quick base of black on those areas, or even keeping them separate (like helmets, weapons, Dire Avenger loin cloths?) and then sticking them on later would be a good idea.

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:00:13 AM »
red and bone looks awesome, especially on eldar models.  How do I know?  This is how, my firedragon exarch.

Also i have seen an entire eldar amy with all aspects in the army colour of deep red and bone... it looked sooo damn sweet it was unbelievable...

if red is your primary colour and bone is your secondary colour you can work off a black base no problems... that exarch was painted on a black basecoat and the bone doesnt take long... 1/2 coats of snakebite.  2 coats of bleached bone over that then highlights.

Offline DutchyLion

• Official Deathdealer...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:31:29 AM »
Yes, those 2 colours look damn good together, i actually used the same scheme on my Exarch :P

D
''The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you Mon'Keigh still try and defy us?''
Prince Yriel.
================================================
One of the holy 10 commandments of gaming.
-''Thou shalt teabag only in the wake of unquestionable ownage''

Offline Demosthenes

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:10:44 AM »
oh now that is sweet!!

i was thinking bone as the primary but you may have just changed my mind, although it may be a bit too similar to the saim hann colours.  the main thing though is that i want to army to have a unified feel to it, not the higgledy piggledy of colours that usually happens between aspect squads, even when they are painted superbly.

what shade of red did you use on the exarch? scab? did you use an ink wash of any sort?

on my high elves i used bleached bone followed by a chestnut wash then high lighted, which worked quite well on scale armour, i was planning on applying the same technique to my squads, do you think it would work?

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »
its red gore, through to blazing orange then given a baal red wash... well thats the simple version of what i did lol