News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Old Metal Imperial Guard Replacement Miniatures  (Read 17172 times)

Offline Commissar Fidel

• Lieutenant
Old Metal Imperial Guard Replacement Miniatures
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »
In second and third editions Games Workshops supported the Imperial guard with a range of metal Imperial Guard representing eight diverse regiments; Mordian Iron Guard, Cadian Shock Troops, Catachan Jungle Fighters, Tallarn Desert Raiders, Valhallan Ice Wariors,  Armageddon Steel Legion, Attilian Rough Riders and Praetorians. Catachans were upgraded to multi-part plastic troops during third edition and received a plastic headquarters and heavy weapon box in fourth edition. Cadians were similarly given a full multi-part plastic range in fourth edition. During this time also the Vostroyan Firstborn were introduced with a metal range, the Tanith First and Only were released with a limited range including special character and a few infantry miniatures. Both these and the original metal guard ranges (with the exception of Praetorians) remain available via the Games workshop website, but contain the limited range of poses they were released with.

Recently a number of third party sellers have released multi-part plastic, metal and resin kits as an alternative or addition to the old metal guard range. This has been a boon for those of us whose guard consists primarily of the older guard ranges.

As a service to other guard players as well and to spark new interest in some of these lesser known regiments I am providing links to these alternative guard ranges. If you have a lead on a range please post it and I will post it here at the top.

Not Praetorians
Curious Constructs - Offers torsos, heads, heavy weapon crew and a rough rider conversion kit in their Colonial Empire range consistent with the Praetorians. Also offers a range of alternative heavy weapons.
Victoria Miniatures - Home - produces a full multi-part resin range named Victorian Guard which fits well with the old Praetorian metals.

Not Mordians
Victoria Miniatures - Home - produces a full multi-part resin range, the Tannenburg Fusiliers, which fits well with the modians.

Not Valhallans
Mad Robot : We Likey Minis!! - produces a multi-part resin infantry called the Kurgan Winter Guard that fits very well with the valhallans. Also has a wide variety of lasgun replacements and special weapon alternatives.

Not Tanith
Victoria Miniatures - Home - produces a full multi-part resin range, the Border World Rangers, which has clocks very similer to GW Tanith figures.

Not Tallarn
Your input here please

Not Steel Legion / Not Krieg
Wargames Factory has "great coat" infantry that could be used for Steel Legion or Death Korps Of Krieg:
Shock Troops - Sci-fi Great Coat Troopers
Shock Troop Heavy Weapons

Adeptus Mechanicus or ... I forget the name of the IG regiment that uses extensive cyber implants.  Savlar Chemdogs, maybe?
A.R.C Flame Thrower Torso Only.

More not-Krieg guys:
Imperial Borderer Grenadiers (3)

Loads of heads, torsos, weapons, and accessories here:
Pig Iron Productions, 28mm Gaming Minatures

Not Attilians
Your input here please

Not Vostroyans
Your input here please

Uncategorized
Adeptus Mechanicus or ... I forget the name of the IG regiment that uses extensive cyber implants.  Savlar Chemdogs, maybe?
« Last Edit: March 9, 2014, 03:32:23 AM by Commissar Fidel »

Offline D503

• 老外来了!
Re: Old Metal Imperial Guard Replacement Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
Mordians
[Link removed]

You may need someone who speaks Chinese to help you order.  All the old styles of guard are available on that website, and they ship worldwide.

I hate Games Workshop's management and business ethics as much as anyone else, but posting links to sites that sell copied or recast miniatures is not allowed.  Such trade can draw the attention of GW's aggressive legal department and sites like that often contain malware.

1) Do not share, trade, or distribute in any manner here, any copyright material, without the express written consent of the owner. Games Workshop Intellectual Property Policy What you can and cannot do with Games Workshop Intellectual Property
–Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

On what basis do you make claims about re-casting?  The site says that they are original figures, and as for malware... that site was taobao.  The number of transactions on that site daily dwarfs even E-bay.  Don't assume it has 'malware' just because its a non-western website.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2014, 09:35:15 PM by D503 »

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
I'd just like to point out technically those are recasters D503, and that is illegal.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »
I will point out that Victoria Miniatures is a grey area.  They are blatantly eating Games Workshop's lunch, but the miniatures are original sculpts and very well done.  GW should step up and make plastic versions of their Imperial Guard variants, maybe support their own game better.  It is not a question of if they'll get a cease and desist letter but when-- if they haven't already.

Not Praetorians

Not Mordians

Not Gaunt's Ghosts

For Mork's sake, do not start a thread derail about the ethics of this or that, I felt it necessary to explain the differences between outright recasts and ... let's call them sculpted homages.  Also, I was struggling to think of companies to add to the list, I have thought of a couple now:

Wargames Factory has "great coat" infantry that could be used for Steel Legion or Death Korps Of Krieg:

Shock Troops - Sci-fi Great Coat Troopers
Shock Troop Heavy Weapons

More not-Krieg guys:
Imperial Borderer Grenadiers (3)

Loads of heads, torsos, weapons, and accessories here:
Pig Iron Productions, 28mm Gaming Minatures

Someone combined the GW kit, Wargames kit, and some Pigiron heads:
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Commissar Fidel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »
Thank You Mr. Peanut for your input and additions.

I have modified the original post to reinforce the fact that these ranges are similar to, but not copies of, Games Workshop products.

Anyone else have any good leads, I was really hoping someone would point us to some Not-Tallarn

Offline Sumshine

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:21:42 AM »
Are you able to use models from other manufacturers in tournaments?  I was under the impression that a certain percentage of each model had to be from GW parts.
"Destroying you is my anti-drug." Zeke, the robot from Ctrl+Alt+Del

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #6 on: April 1, 2014, 07:41:27 AM »
If GW proper can't maintain a full range of the guard regiments then I think it's time forge world stepped up and did it.  They can also update the designs which do look a little dated these days (except for the Vostroyans of course).  They're almost there with the tallerans for example, with the heavy weapon teams, snipers, the tank officer and those giraffe camel rough rider things.  Just give them a normal trooper set and a command squad set and boom, the Desert Raiders are back!

Of course these wouldn't be cheap for us consumers but honestly, what GW related thing is these days?  :P

Offline Parak

• Colonel - Best Painted Guard Army
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I like my brick
    • My Blog!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 07:45:33 AM »
Are you able to use models from other manufacturers in tournaments?  I was under the impression that a certain percentage of each model had to be from GW parts.

GW tournaments, understandly, do not allow non-GW miniatures in their war hammer world tournaments or their in store events. I think they recently also tightened the rules to not allow any conversions using third party components.

Many of the unofficial tournaments held throughout the world allow non gw miniatures, provided they are the same size as what they represent and are easily distinguished to your opponent.

MadRobot miniatures also produce an excellent range of compatible pieces, including valhallen style kurgen troopers and other modern day style heads and weapons.

Offline Chosen Man

• Princeps Maximus, Swarmlord, High Lord of Rummy's Privy due to Pissing Him Off, Pookie noobkin, Now 5% less organic
  • Ancient
  • Yes my other car is an AT-AT....
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
GW tournaments, understandly, do not allow non-GW miniatures in their war hammer world tournaments or their in store events. I think they recently also tightened the rules to not allow any conversions using third party components.

Interesting....over on the other side of the pond I haven't seen a harsh lockdown as that when it comes to conversions. I suppose it depends on the store manager to set the rules. I still see a number of wheeled chimera conversions every now and then at local GW shops.

I agree most FLGS don't have such restrictions as long as you are using comparable size models to represent the units in the army codex.
"Follow me if I advance! Kill me if I retreat! Avenge me if I die!" -Tactica Imperium

Rynnsguard HQ: My Imperial Blog

Anarchy's Heart: My Alpha Legion Blog