News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Going up against Skitarii  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Going up against Skitarii
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
Hi guys.  Soon an old friend of mine will be returning to the game, and they'll probably be using the Skitarii, as it was their awesome models that finally brought him back to the fold.  So, I've got a weird thing I need to do here.

I need to build a small IG list that can go up against the Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus reasonably well...but one that won't do too well because I don't want to go too hard on him at the moment, until he's comfortable playing again.  So with that in mind, I was thinking of building a list that is more balanced in focus rather than one tailored to fight the Mechanicus forces.

Also, since I haven't played a game since 5th edition, and he hasn't played since 4th, I also want a list that includes some fliers and psychic support in it, as we'll need to learn how these work pronto.  I have 4 Valkyries, so I wouldn't mind using at least a couple of them.

When fighting the Mechanicus, what do you have to bare in mind?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:59:38 PM by Skitarii Santa »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Going up against Skitarii
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 03:40:12 PM »
Skitarii shooting is very, very nasty, but is primarily infantry based. Their vehicles are comprised of some Rhino-armor-equivalent walkers and their Dreadnought-equivalent crab walker.

Aim to take on Carapace-armored Vets, which is basically what Skitarii are (with a few nasty tricks). Expect a lot of scouting and infiltrating and so on.

As for what the Cult Mechanicus brings, I'm not really sure--never played against them, don't own the book, and never seen a report.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 11:12:21 PM »
Mono-dex Skitarii aren't super scary, from what I've read. Mostly infantry, no transports. Like Wydrr said, they're basically Vets in Carapace armour. They have a better basic gun, so in that regard they're more like Storm Troopers, I guess. They can take 3 specials if they use a 10 man squad.

Some are fast for infantry. The codex seems to have a million special rules just to specifically make them NOT Vets / Stormies. They get a buff each turn, that revolves around boosting either BS or WS, and as the boost to one gets larger, there's a penalty to the other. Because they're NOT using orders.

The army, on the whole, has ready access to Haywire guns. That's gonna hurt your tanks something fierce. They'll spank you in assault, if their assault troops get to you. Their units can be specialized, like Vets. They don't have to be, but they should be, if you catch my drift. You can neutralize them by presenting un-ideal targets to them. They don't seem to be a fast response type army, without allies.

Their Crab-tank is basically a tougher Armoured Sentinel.

They don't have an HQ choice, so they CAN'T take a CAD. They have to use formations from within their codex. Their Decurion style list is [almost] literally 3 units of everything in the codex.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:48:06 PM »
OK, I've had a detailed read of both the Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus codexes (I've got both), and what I've decided to do is to make my army based around a single Formation.  In this case, the Emperor's Blade Assault Company.  This formation is more or less what a typical small scale mechanized IG army is anyway, but comes with a few bonuses that I think are worth it.  My list is as follows:

Company Command Squad: 150pts
Commander
4 veterans with lascannon, officer of the fleet,
Taurox

Veteran Squad: 155pts
2 plasma guns
Chimera

Veteran Squad: 155pts
2 plasma guns
Chimera

Veteran Squad: 130pts
Shotguns, heavy flamer, 2 grenade launchers
Taurox

'Satanic Canine'
Hellhound/Banewolf/Devil Dog

Valkyrie: 135pts
Multilaser, 2 Multiple Rocket Pods

Commissar: 55pts
Plasma pistol, power weapon

Primarus Psyker: 50pts

Total at present: 955pts

A couple of things to discuss.  First of all, I have no idea which variant of Satanic Canine to take.  I would say a Hellhound but remember, I am aiming to go easy on my friend.  Second of all, I'm 45pts short of a round 1000, and I'm open to suggestions.

So far, the tactics are to come at him with the chimera vets and the Satanic Canine head on, whilst the CCS and the two Tauroxes hang back and provide cover fire.  Meanwhile, the vets with assault weapons, along with the Commissar and Pysker, ride in the Valkyrie and will assault a unit such as Rangers.  It's weird that there's an army now we can go toe to toe with in assault.  Especially with the Formations special rules.

Any thoughts?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »
I really wouldn't classify the Hellhound as unfriendly. If the guy can't handle a single mid-armor tank, then he's past help.

Any particular reason for the Taurox other than cost? Last I checked they were very unpopular with everybody due to their dying to a stiff breeze.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
I was worried about the Inferno cannon incinerating all his infantry too easy.

And the reasons for the Tauroxes are because they're cheaper than a Chimera and I've got two of them already.  Plus, they have autocannons.

For the Chimeras, I was thinking of turret mounted heavy flamers and hull mounted heavy bolters.  If only to match the hell hound, for aesthetic reasons.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
I think the multilaser is an awfully useful weapon, if for the range, if nothing else.

I've liked the multilaser/heavy flamer combo myself. I like the added Str of the laser and that the long range gun is on a turret.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:06:24 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about wiping his squads. He'll probably have some Haywire guns, and they should ruin your day right-quick.

Plus, that way you both get a feel for how the top-teir armies play. Except that you'll only feel that against Skitarii, while he'll eventually enjoy that feeling against most everyone. ;)

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
I think the multilaser is an awfully useful weapon, if for the range, if nothing else.

I've liked the multilaser/heavy flamer combo myself. I like the added Str of the laser and that the long range gun is on a turret.

In the 'auld dayz', I favored the multilaser/heavy flamer combo too, combined with a heavy stubber.  Remember the concept of 'defensive weapons?  And now that I think about it, if he takes Kataphron Breachers, I will regret not having that extra point of strength.

I wouldn't worry too much about wiping his squads. He'll probably have some Haywire guns, and they should ruin your day right-quick.

Plus, that way you both get a feel for how the top-teir armies play. Except that you'll only feel that against Skitarii, while he'll eventually enjoy that feeling against most everyone. ;)

I already don't like Arc weapons.  :P

I'm also certain I can pinpoint what units he is going to take.  I think it's going to be a Techpriest Dominus (the only HQ unit they have), a Dunecrawler, and then either two units of Kataphrons and one unit of skitarii vanguard/rangers, or vice versa.  And I'm basing this off the combo sets that are currently on sale, which is what he's basing his collection off. 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 07:11:34 AM »
Hey Tangi I saw your thread while hopping through the boards... if you want to see some Skitarri/Admech in action check out Winters SEO on youtube. Awesome dude with a lot of very cool fluffy bat-reps with fantastic armies. He plays Ad-mech and features them heavily though there is a lot of FW in his lists. Still you can see a lot of Skitarri in most of his lists. Anyway check it out my man!

winters SEO - YouTube
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 07:55:59 AM »
Thanks for the link Cavalier!  :)

I was also interested in an Emperor's Fist Armored Company, because Tanks are cool and it's a nice easy way to build an army (five tanks and you're good to go!).  It's just a shame that some Russ variants are overpriced, and the tank orders are slightly meh.  In my opinion of course.  ;)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »
So, have you had your game yet? How did it go? You should take some pictures if you haven't had the game yet. Basic battle report with a picture of the field every turn?

Please? :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 01:02:34 PM »
No problem buddy. Just beware of the Dune Crawlers they pack a punch, don't let them exploit the damage effects on squadrons and they are nasty on AA too. I'll keep an eye on this thread to help you game plan if you want more input.

My brother is super pumped about some of the new formations as well. Not totally familiar with them but I liked what I saw for the most part. Especially the artillery formation Ignore cover basilisks?  :'( :'( :'( But hey big guns never tire!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
So, have you had your game yet? How did it go? You should take some pictures if you haven't had the game yet. Basic battle report with a picture of the field every turn?

Please? :)

Yes, I will be doing all of that when we have the game!  :)

Unfortunately the game itself probably won't happen until the spring.  :P  My friend and I wouldn't have our armies ready until the end of next month at the earliest.  But this is happening!  :)

No problem buddy. Just beware of the Dune Crawlers they pack a punch, don't let them exploit the damage effects on squadrons and they are nasty on AA too. I'll keep an eye on this thread to help you game plan if you want more input.

My brother is super pumped about some of the new formations as well. Not totally familiar with them but I liked what I saw for the most part. Especially the artillery formation Ignore cover basilisks?  :'( :'( :'( But hey big guns never tire!

Yeah I'm very wary of the Crawlers.  And the artillery company is nasty as hell.  Cover was always your only defense against the big guns.

I might mess around with this list until we're ready to go.  Even if it's only to keep this thread active.  If not, I guess I can post the battle report on my blog.  :)