News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar - thoughts?  (Read 15508 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Age of Sigmar - thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: September 2, 2015, 08:43:11 AM »
I've been playing now with a comp that is used by a tournament near me.

80 wounds
6-8 war scrolls
0-2 monsters
1-3 heroes
25 wound unit cap

This works a bit better and keeps games at a size where you can play once in under an hour and a half.

I really want to start a new army and build it with age of sigmar in mind and not the old rules. Using units from different factions and things like that.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #61 on: September 2, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »
You gotta admit though, "Stormcast Eternals" is a spectacularly amphetamine parrot name. :P Just "Eternals" would've been better.

I'm kinda miffed about losing such a fun and quirky world, from a fluff perspective, and I'm not hugely inspired by this new setting so far. We'll see.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #62 on: September 2, 2015, 01:24:46 PM »
I've been gradually coming around to the setting, but it's so new that there's hardly anything to latch on to. The Stormcast Eternals, despite having pretty awesome models, just seem completely idiotic in terms of fluff. That said, there are plenty of factions in GW games I'd never collect and that doesn't mean the game is terrible.

I am, however, waiting for some new faction to wow me into wanting to play. Hasn't happened yet.

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #63 on: September 6, 2015, 01:12:40 PM »
Everything about this seems really terrible. The slapdash rules, the absurd setting, the bolter-crossbows.

I haven't played a GW game in years but it's still a bit of shame to see WHFB die like this.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #64 on: September 6, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »
Christ, they're even divided into "Chambers". XD

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #65 on: November 1, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »
Anyone seen the re-release of Lizardmen?

Everything has been renamed to have something to do with stars in one way or another. It's painfully obvious how forced it is at times.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #66 on: November 8, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
Anyone seen the re-release of Lizardmen?

Everything has been renamed to have something to do with stars in one way or another. It's painfully obvious how forced it is at times.

Gotta admit, even as someone who enjoys Age of Sigmar, the Seraphon release was a huge disappointment. Not even older model kits getting a new look to them, it's literally just a reboxing of most of the old Lizardmen models. So it continues to look like new game with Warhammer Fantasy carry overs.

Disappointment all around really.

On the subject of dissapointment however, Archaon's new model. Seems GW gave into people's demand that Archaon "ditch the My Little Pony".

...Hey, GW? Can I still mount him on the Horsey? He looked a lot cooler on Horseback.

I've had to remove the link, because it contains scanned image from White Dwarf, which breaches GW's copyright rules.  Please see forum rule 1 for further details - Iris.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2015, 11:32:34 AM by Irisado »

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2015, 09:58:08 PM »
I've been really enjoying my games of Warhammer recently. It took several games to really  get into the new rules and understand it properly. But now we've been at it for a bit, the tactics and strategy is really building and the games are getting more closely fought and intense. :)
I thought I'd miss 8th and go back to it for the odd game, but I really don't! I have no inclination to ever rank up 100+ models onto movement trays ever again!

Loving the background as well. I always enjoyed the Warhammer World background, but this has moved on so much and has become even more high fantasy. It really feels less constrained and that anything could happen. :D
Can't wait to find out more about the Red Slayer Duardin and Highborn Aelves!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
Wonderful! Tell us more about your recent games, I'm sure people would enjoy that.

Speaking for myself, your post sounds rather like a press release SPAM.

Please, go on.  :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:16:53 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2015, 05:38:53 AM »
Hahaha!

Well, they've been fun... I've found that playing the game in the same mind-set as SBG works; it's very easy in SBG to advance lines of warriors across the battlefield and grind them against eachother for the whole game. What stops this is playing scenarios and adding lots of scenery to break up the battlefield.

It's the same with Warhammer now- a decent amount of scenery is essential and the scenarios really add a lot of balance and result in much better games than meat-grinding.

I'm finding it a lot more tactically challenging than 8th too- games of 8th were fairly predictable and due to the lack of speed when maneuvering or reforming, you became limited in tactics once a game started and you were committed to a course of action.
Being able to reform freely in AoS is great- you can advance in blocks, move into a line to engage and then envelop; you can have proper skirmish lines that are able to fall back through the lines of heavy infantry as the enemy closes; due to the 3" combat 'pull-in', you can guard units well and have more of your units involved in combat.
It feels more representative of medieval / fantasy warfare.

It's taken a lot of games to get some idea of balance sorted- but just looking at eachother's armies at the start and saying "does this look fair?" is golden- we've made mistakes and played some horrendously unbalanced games, but it didn't matter and we still had fun. There's less aggro and less checking of the rules.
The pace is good too. Game turns seem to take the same length of time as before, but you're always doing something. There's very little waiting around for your turn to do something. The game is busy and much more engaging.
In my opinion.

Still sound like a press release? Maybe! But I really do enjoy the game, much more than I thought I would too!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2015, 08:57:25 AM »
This is great!  I'm happy to hear that Fantasy is still alive and improved.  Maybe I can have a new dwarf army in future!

Dwarves still exist right?  :-\

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Yup, Dwarves have split into 2 factions: the Steamhead Duardin (dwarves as we know them) and the Fyre Slayers (mercenary dwarves).
It seems that the Slayer King becoming the Incarnate of Fire during the End Times has imbued descendant slayers with some kind of fire affinity and abilities. The fight and ride giant magma-serpents, which is pretty cool. Expecting to see some new models early in t he new year...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »
Today my friend returned to GW after a long hiatus, and he did it by going halfers with me on the Age Of Sigmar starter set.  He's going with the stormcast elementals and I get the korne faction.  The models are sweet, and you get a hell of a lot of them for a decent price.  I now have a decent sized army and the rule book for under £40!  I'm reading through the book now and I actually love how simple the game mechanics are.  No messing around, just pure combat and tactics.  I wouldn't have imagined ever getting korne but it's good to try something different.  And in future I am definitely getting dwarves again.