News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Spoils of War, Campaign Weekend 26/27th November Bristol UK  (Read 11694 times)

Offline Swamp Rat

Re: Spoils of War, Campaign Weekend 26/27th Novemeber Bristol UK
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:11 PM »
Whats the policy on IA books? News of Doom of Mymera might put a hold on my wolves, so i may take my all infantry Mantis Warriors, thatll give me  a chance to work on ome conversions and the like.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #41 on: October 1, 2011, 05:55:54 AM »
IA books fall under the forgeworld allowance. so if the doom is within the permitted forgeworld allowance for a points value its allowed. Its not definate to play against one should it turn up though, I doubt we'll be knee deep in them!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #42 on: October 2, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »
I've been checking out my class schedule and nothing terribly important is happening directly before, or after that weekend (all things considered). It's mostly the Wednesdays which are Important, so I'm sure I can make a long weekend out of it. Going to check to see what sort of cheap tickets I can get first, before I buy tickets and then find a place to stay and such. Foremost in my mind is wanting to go. It'd also be nice to be back into a country where English is the predominant language. I should know for sure by the end of the week if I'm going or not, or if tickets are sold out that'll be a decider as well. I don't quite have 2000pts of Chaos marines with me, but I'm going to Games Day Italia this month, so I plan to pick up something there to bolster my forces.

I apologize for being all spazzy on my commitment.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #43 on: October 2, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
You are all good sir. Be great if you can make it.  Do you need help with good hotels etc? 

this is not too bad, and central

http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/BRIPLI/bristol-city-centre-king-street

as for flights, try the budget airlines such as easyjet. Bristol or cardiff are probably the easiest to get to, though i am sure we may be able to help you out on others. i live close to luton if you wanted to do something like that.
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #44 on: October 3, 2011, 06:15:13 AM »
Flying to Bristol is pretty easy, and they have a good bus link to town. I'll even pick you up from the bus station if that helps?
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #45 on: October 3, 2011, 11:39:33 AM »
Finally got my dole in, so I should have this sorted within a couple of days. Thank. beslubber.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #46 on: October 3, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
Flying to Bristol is pretty easy, and they have a good bus link to town. I'll even pick you up from the bus station if that helps?

That would. The main question is does the price warrant heading over for around 6 days ( I've never been to the UK before, so I'll spend as much extra time as I can there), or would I be better off spending more time there when I have my winter break and no obligations. However, there is no Tournament in December, like there is in November. I'm just going over the money I have available. I've found some flights which seem pretty good cost from Florence to Bristol directly (and seems to be the cheapest..so far..Around just over 200 euros for a return flight), which looks good. The information you've provided, Tarrin, is quite helpful.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #47 on: October 3, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

That would. The main question is does the price warrant heading over for around 6 days ( I've never been to the UK before, so I'll spend as much extra time as I can there), or would I be better off spending more time there when I have my winter break and no obligations. However, there is no Tournament in December, like there is in November. I'm just going over the money I have available. I've found some flights which seem pretty good cost from Florence to Bristol directly (and seems to be the cheapest..so far..Around just over 200 euros for a return flight), which looks good. The information you've provided, Tarrin, is quite helpful.

The bus link to town is indeed great ;)

Also Bristol is nice :)
Didn't get to see the gorge last time -.-

Also if you appreciate good looking women  :P Bristol is the place to be  8)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #48 on: October 3, 2011, 06:00:17 PM »
I'm trying to weigh this up. It's tricky. I'm fairly confident about being able to get the Friday and Monday around the event off work (although not entirely so), which I will definitely have to do bearing in mind that the journey from Newcastle to Bristol is, I believe, around 7+ hours. What I'm less confident about is having the cash to do this, as payday for me is the 28th, and the October paycheque will be my first one, and most of it will probably be used to pay off the massive debts I have accumulated by getting a job. How much will 3 nights in a local cutprice hotel affair cost me do people reckon? Is there any way to do this on maximum cheapness?
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: October 4, 2011, 03:48:07 AM »
The cheapest way to do this is to use a youth hostel. It means sharing a room, but the YHA bristol will give you a bed for three nights for 45 quid.  You also have the benefit of all the cute foriegn backpackers.

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/south-west-england/hostels/Bristol/

In fact this is proabably not a bad idea for several of the guys who are coming... I think that if you book together you can book dorms together.  Proper YHA sites are excellent. I have used them all over the world.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #50 on: October 4, 2011, 06:41:42 AM »
This is a good idea I did not think of.

I stayed in YHAs all over Australia a few years back....they're very nice. They generally have a secure store for luggage and self catering facilities which saves cash if you don't want to eat out everynight.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #51 on: October 4, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
The cheapest way to do this is to use a youth hostel. It means sharing a room, but the YHA bristol will give you a bed for three nights for 45 quid.  You also have the benefit of all the cute foriegn backpackers.

http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommodation/south-west-england/hostels/Bristol/

In fact this is proabably not a bad idea for several of the guys who are coming... I think that if you book together you can book dorms together.  Proper YHA sites are excellent. I have used them all over the world.

I stayed in a few YHA places in China and they were great, and I don't imagine they can be worse in the UK than they are in China, so that's a very sensible suggestion.

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #52 on: October 4, 2011, 05:02:01 PM »
He :)

Cheap and comfy...they are that lol

But I like my luxury ;)

Booked at Henbury lodge again.
If there isn't a venue change again I can roll out of bed roll, though a pile of clothes, grab army case and roll down to the school ;)

Though luxury does come at a price  :P (75 pounds a night)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #53 on: October 4, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »
He :)

Cheap and comfy...they are that lol

But I like my luxury ;)

Booked at Henbury lodge again.
If there isn't a venue change again I can roll out of bed roll, though a pile of clothes, grab army case and roll down to the school ;)

Though luxury does come at a price  :P (75 pounds a night)

Um, the venue isn't going to be changed. But it will be the same as last time. We are no longer using Henbury for any of our events.
This is covered on our events page;
http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk/Site/Events.html

:)

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #54 on: October 4, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »
Hmm then why is the info faulty in the campaign folder?

Cause that still states the venue being at the school -.-

Have to cancel then and search for other hotel.

• Ancient
« Reply #55 on: October 8, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
I checked with my funds and I've decided (with a struggle) that to pay 246 euros for a long weekend is not really economically viable for me right now. Thus, I wont be making the trip, unless I somehow find round tickets for substantially less cost. However, I have time in December/ early January during my class break in which I want to make a trip to the UK (for a more significant length of time), so I'll have a chance to meet some of you folks then.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #56 on: October 8, 2011, 04:42:37 PM »
Hmm then why is the info faulty in the campaign folder?

Cause that still states the venue being at the school -.-

Rulespack is now fixed. Soz! :)

Thus, I wont be making the trip, unless I somehow find round tickets for substantially less cost.

Thats fair enough, it would have been cool to have seen you. Let us know about the trip you do make and we'll see about meeting up then! :)

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »
Hi Fellahs,

Sadly i cant make it this year. Issues with weekend priorities etc. :-(

Just means that whichever team i play for doesnt have a handicap and that Andro won't spit his dummy when facing a full wing of remoras.

Hope you have an awesome one.

n.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2011, 06:58:45 AM »
Okay, another dropout signing in here. I've got a paid photoshoot that weekend and I really can't afford to miss the opportunity. If anyone really misses me you can have a photo of me looking a little sad to remember me by.

NEXT TIME, THOUGH.

• Ancient
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »
Fortunately that takes the pressure off me, as I'm still highly unsure if I can make it to this as well. We shall see