News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Necron Codex - Elites Discussion  (Read 21709 times)

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
New Necron Codex - Elites Discussion
« on: November 1, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
Elite Units:

This thread is reserved for discussion of the 2011 Necron Codex Elite units. Please discuss other Force Organization entries in their appropriate threads. Discussion of dedicated transports can be placed either alongside the unit (where appropriate) or in the Necron Vehicle Discussion thread.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2011, 11:51:07 PM by Gutstikk »

Offline headfirst

• Still just me.
Re: New Necron Codex - Elites Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2011, 11:36:42 PM »
Compare Deathmarks to the warriors from the preceding codex. Taking into account the difference between RP and WBB, it's still pretty crazy. Deep Strike, pick enemy unit nearest as target, obliterate with rapid fire. Also, the models are amazing. I'll be getting me some soon... when I get more money...
Headfirst

Offline sephiroa

• I am a nobody
« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2011, 05:57:55 AM »
deathmarks are nice, i love them,
but my favorite models are teh trairch and lychgaurd, although i like the jump infantry a bit more, but those dispersion shields are really funny, it makes some people think twice before shooting a volley of plasma fire into them.
the c'tan shards, could be usefull, but I'm not seeing it atm,
triarch stalker, wow, costs a bit, but a great model, heat ray combined with targeting relay i like it, flayed ones are nice, but i don't think i'll use them often

Offline PhoenixLord1989

• The road of good intentions doesnt leadto anywhere
  • Armies: Eldar, D-Eldar, Dark Angels, Necron, and Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
From the few games under my belt with the new codex I found that the C'Tan Shard is really worth its points if you take the Writhing Worldscape and Lord of Fire (mainly to keep points down on a already costly model and since you need a min/max of 2 powers.) This really helps with a heavy vehicle list which seems to be all too common. Especially helps with keeping the enemies units from getting into assault.

I also love lychguard but because of the price tag I would never take more then 5 in a squad but that also imposes the problem of if the squad gets run down they wont be getting back up.

As for the rest of the Elites I like then but don't know what role I would use them for just yet.
"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will."

Offline ith

• I <3 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »
I've been really enjoying the Triach Stalker with its basic load out.  I've been using it to mark a unit for death, which has been really helpful to weaken units getting ready to charge my Warriors.  Also, it's not a pushover in CC with its S, Attacks and Quantum Shielding.  It has helped bail out a few Warriors stuck in melee.

I did have a bystander say that when I Heat Ray templated two units, both should be marked.  I don't think Targeting Relay actually supports that though, so we ignored it.  It's an interesting thought though.

@PhoenixLord1989

That's the same C'Tan Shard setup I'm looking at trying out.  I tend to be playing on boards with lots of difficult terrain.   :D

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
The C'Tan Shards are definitely worth it IMO. What you want to do with them though is to keep them as cheap as possible. For example I tested one out as the Deceiver with Grand Illusion and Swarm of Spirit Dust and neither abilities really came into play but he still did a hell of a lot of damage to Demon Princes and Dreadnoughts. So play to the advantages of their statline and keep it cheap. Lord of Fire and Writhing Worldscape do sound like a great way to go and I also planned on this for my next list. (Worldscape, Times Arrow, or even Entropic Touch just to keep it bare bones cheap)

The Triach Stalker does seem pretty expensive until you remember it has the Targeting Relay and the only melta weapon in the codex (right? or did I miss one?) and that weapon also has 2 different weapon profiles! I don't see the use of any of the weapon upgrades, especially the most expensive one, a single Twin Linked Heavy Gauss Cannon. The cheaper Particle Shredder I'd really have to think about but honestly I think other units in the codex can fill the role of this weapon easier, like Immortals for example.

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
For Lychguards, I think Shields + Swords will be the only sensible way to play them, often with a Resurrection Orb lord to maximize brickwall-osity and keep them on the table. I just don't see any need for the Warscythe version of Lychguard. Attach a Lord with Orb + Warscythe and call it a day, I say!
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline Tomb Spyder

• On a new codex high!
« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Deep Strike, pick enemy unit nearest as target, obliterate with rapid fire. Also, the models are amazing.

If I read correctly, it mentions nothing about doing anything other than Deep Striking in on an enemy turn.  I do not think they can shoot until their turn.  Overall, with the 24 inch range for a sniping unit, I am disappointed.

The C'Tan shards look pretty appealing except for the 4 initiative.  Hitting simultaneous with MEQs is a big let down for me.

Stalkers? OK, I'm sold on this choice except for sneaking in the S7 so we cant kill MEQs outright.

Flayed Ones......Sorry.  You have too much competition to get into my army.  Move through cover or something would have helped you out a bit.

Lychguards and Praetorians.  Both seem to be good solid units, but once again, the low Initiative is going to haunt them.  I am curious to see how these will do in games.

Overall, a pretty decent pool of Elites to choose from, but I do see their flaws.  Semi-solid choices from what appears to be a semi-solid codex.

Offline NightMoor

« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2011, 12:43:35 AM »
Deep Strike, pick enemy unit nearest as target, obliterate with rapid fire. Also, the models are amazing.

If I read correctly, it mentions nothing about doing anything other than Deep Striking in on an enemy turn.  I do not think they can shoot until their turn.  Overall, with the 24 inch range for a sniping unit, I am disappointed.

It has Aerial Assault, and Deep Striking vehicles count as having moved at Cruising Speed when they come in (pg 95)...you do the math.
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #9 on: November 7, 2011, 01:06:24 AM »

It has Aerial Assault, and Deep Striking vehicles count as having moved at Cruising Speed when they come in (pg 95)...you do the math.
He's on about Deathmarks, not Nightscythes.

Offline pudd

« Reply #10 on: November 7, 2011, 01:59:06 AM »
The only good thing I can say about the deathmarks special deepstriking thing is that it would mean that they wouldn't count has having moved when your turn rolls around so you could either move them or keep them stationary and fire. If that gets FAQd out or something then I would be deploying them with the rest of my army instead of putting them in reserve.

Lychguard with swords shields is how I'm rolling with them. The low initiative means they really need to be able to stick around to make use of their good strength.

Flayed ones are out I'm afraid, I didn't really like the old models and I dislike the new ones even more so they are a no go for me. Also the money cost for them is incredible.

C'tan shard with writhing worldscape and possible sentient singularity paired with 2 crypteks with the tremorstave means that a lot of people will be taking dangerous terrain tests which will mostly drive them into the open where we can open up with the doomsday cannons and destroyers. I know this kinda relates to other parts of the FOC but without the C'tan shard it isn't that good a tactic.

Not a huge fan of the praetorians and will be making lychguard instead. If I had to say the good things about them it would be that they move fast, the rods of the covenant are nice and they won't be running away from a lost combat but thats it. Less attacks, low initiative, and no inv save means that if they get a chance to hit in combat, I can't see it doing too much.

Unsure about the triarch walker at the moment, the armour is tough but if something gets through there is a good chance it will do damage. The TL heavy gauss cannon and the targetting array mean that it will be one of the first things to shoot in a shooting phase where something big really has to die.

Offline NightMoor

« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »

He's on about Deathmarks, not Nightscythes.

Ah I see, misread that.

Looking further into the codex I can see the Triarch Stalker getting used reasonably often because it has a nice force-multiplier effect with its targeting relay and two multi-melta type shots is very solid considering you have a chance to shake off shaken and stunned results to keep it shooting.

As for the C'Tan shards, my lingering worry about using them is that they suffer from an even worse case of "Wraithlord Poison-itis", namely that useless junk with Poisoned attacks in force will just bring them down with ease, ex: bunch of Hormagaunts with Poison. I really wish it had a 3+ invul save, as it stands it's not particularly survivable. But some of the abilities are interesting, Writhing Worldscape combined with the giant laser beam could let you stay back and support the army well enough without getting too close to danger.

I'm at a loss to understand why Mat Ward didn't make Flayed Ones troops given that he didn't really do anything particularly interesting or powerful with them. Yes they can outflank but they have no options for any special gear that would make them particularly strong. I don't actually think they are unusable, I just don't see why they couldn't have been troops.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: November 7, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
I'm at a loss to understand why Mat Ward didn't make Flayed Ones troops given that he didn't really do anything particularly interesting or powerful with them. Yes they can outflank but they have no options for any special gear that would make them particularly strong. I don't actually think they are unusable, I just don't see why they couldn't have been troops.

My only reasoning behind Flayed Ones not being troops is the new fluff about them having a sickness and how most other Necrons hate them, even enough to kill them after the battle...In my game with them, I infiltrated into/behind a ruin away from my force but near the enemy objective. They could have posed a distraction but a Defiler decided to move close enough to keep me from pushing forward. Basically I got stuck in the ruin with terrible movement rolls, not having Move Through Cover sucks...Their base number of attacks is great though so I'm starting to think the only way to run these is a very large unit to make up for the poor initiative.

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #13 on: November 7, 2011, 06:56:14 PM »
In terms of adding members of the court to Elite units, I'm already sold on adding a necron lord to a smallish unit (5-7) of lychguard with shields, with a rez orb, a warscythe, (and maybe a phase shifter if I have the points); but the question of what to add to deathmarks (if anything) is more of a problem. First off, does adding a lord or cryptek prevent the unit from deepstriking?

Secondly, I can't settle on the most appropriate addition - I'm thinking cryptek, and though Veil of Darkness would seem fluffy and keep them mobile, the Despair staff is of limited use in that configuration. Alternatively, the harp of dissonance seems complimetory, and the tremorstave not bad for keeping prey at range, so this is tempting . . . anyone tried running crypteks with deathmarks yet?

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #14 on: November 8, 2011, 02:37:22 AM »
What about attaching a Destroyer Lord with the Phaeron upgrade (the one that gives the squad Relentless) to the Deathmarks? Since he is Jump Infantry, he can Deepstrike, he is pretty darn tough, and it would allow you to be a little more conservative with your Deep Strike placement or just give you a better chance to be able to at least single shot at 24". I suppose it would be pretty expensive, though.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline PhoenixLord1989

• The road of good intentions doesnt leadto anywhere
  • Armies: Eldar, D-Eldar, Dark Angels, Necron, and Tyranids
« Reply #15 on: November 8, 2011, 05:06:25 AM »
What about attaching a Destroyer Lord with the Phaeron upgrade (the one that gives the squad Relentless) to the Deathmarks? Since he is Jump Infantry, he can Deepstrike, he is pretty darn tough, and it would allow you to be a little more conservative with your Deep Strike placement or just give you a better chance to be able to at least single shot at 24". I suppose it would be pretty expensive, though.

A destroyer lord can't take Phaeron as an upgrade though.
"What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."

"Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know."

"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will."

Offline sephiroa

• I am a nobody
« Reply #16 on: November 8, 2011, 02:35:29 PM »
deathmarks,, the one thing i wonder is, when they deep strike, they come into the field, this means i can choose a unit so they can wound one a 2+? right?

preatorians, pure elitehunters, take 10, and look for the annoying termi's or other heavy armoured units, rod of covenent, superb against them, you just have to jump from cover to cover to get the maximum out of them

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #17 on: November 8, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
deathmarks,, the one thing i wonder is, when they deep strike, they come into the field, this means i can choose a unit so they can wound one a 2+? right?

You pick the unit when the Deathmarks are "deployed" so the question is during "deployment" when you choose to "deepstrike" does that count? Or do you wait until the unit hits the table?

Offline sephiroa

• I am a nobody
« Reply #18 on: November 8, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »

You pick the unit when the Deathmarks are "deployed" so the question is during "deployment" when you choose to "deepstrike" does that count? Or do you wait until the unit hits the table?

jup that's kinda what i want to know, and something else, take 3 squads, choose 3 different targets, 3 times more fun

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #19 on: November 8, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
The rules for reserves and deepstriking have the answers to that, pages 94-95 of the BrB

Reserving a unit is quantified with the line "players my choose not to deploy one or more of their units....." hence a unit in reserve is not deployed
Furthermore, down the page we have the sentence "Once all the units have been rolled for, the player chooses any one units and deploys it"

Deepstriking is simply a special method of deployment in which the unit MUST start the game in reserve so putting all that together:
Units in reserve are NOT deployed, the Deathstrikes choose their foe when deployed and that only happens AFTER they arrive from reserve, which happens to be Deepstriking in this case

Simples ;)
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!