News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Updated 1k point list for a new guy  (Read 543 times)

Offline sn toter

• I can haz Avatar?
Updated 1k point list for a new guy
« on: July 6, 2011, 09:31:12 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the help in my initial thread about returning since 2nd and the models I have at my disposal.  Despite my financial burdens I was able to nab some mechanized support in the form of 2 wave serpents for a $25 total.  I thought it was a good buy so I sold my SM codex that I'm never going to do anything with and bought them with the proceeds.  That said, I know I still have a limited model base, and that definitely can't change anytime soon.

998 pts with 31 models:
HQ - Farseer: Singing Spear, Fortune, Runes of Warding
HQ - Avatar
Troop - 10 Guardians: Scatter Laser, Wave Serpent w/ TL Shuriken Cannons
Troop - 10 Guardians: Scatter Laser, Wave Serpent w/ TL Shuriken Cannons
Troop - 5 Rangers: Pathfinders
Heavy - Wraithlord:   EML
Heavy - Wraithlord:   EML

I have some general questions about some differences in units since 2nd edition, but they are questions for a different forum. 

If needed I could go up in points to a 1125 list with the following increased wargear list(alternatively I could make this a 1k list by removing one of the Wraithlords or Avatar, but I don't know that I want to do that.

HQ - Farseer: Singing Spear, Fortune, Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones, Doom
HQ - Avatar
Troop - 10 Guardians: Scatter Laser, Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones & TL Shuriken Cannons
Troop - 10 Guardians: Scatter Laser, Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones & TL Shuriken Cannons
Troop - 5 Rangers: Pathfinders
Heavy - Wraithlord:   EML, Scatter Laser
Heavy - Wraithlord:   EML, Bright Lance

I'm not one to prescribe to a 'set' strategy since opponents will typically not make the same decisions, have the same army, etc... and I know I need to adapt to each.  Ideally I'd like to say 'the MC's will try to smash face up the middle, the tanks fly up the flanks and deploy while the rangers pick off troops'.  I can't wait to field this in a couple weeks.  I'm excited to finally play again after the years out of it.  It'll be good to just get the new rules down pat.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Updated 1k point list for a new guy
« Reply #1 on: July 6, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
The major issue I see here is Wraithsight.  You can't field the Farseer as an independent character to babysit the Wraithlords, as your opponent will just gun him/her down, and with the Guardians riding in Wave Serpents adding Warlocks to these is not likely to help, unless you keep all your units together in the early stages of the game.

Similarly, the Farseer cannot be fielded on foot in this list, as (s)he would be too vulnerable in my view, so bearing this in mind, Fortune may be of limited use in this list, and Guide may be a better bet (for casting on one of the Guardian squads).  The only way you will know for certain though is to try both powers, and see which you find the most valuable.

The Wave Serpents need Spirit Stones, otherwise it's too easy for your opponent to fragment and/or slow down your attack.

Finally, if you can equip both Wraithlords with an EML and Brightlance, I strongly suggest that you do so, for the same reasons I alluded to in your previous army list thread, or just give them Wraithswords, Flamers and perhaps a Shuriken Cannon each, and use them more aggressively as assault support for the Avatar.

In view of your model collection, I don't see how you can do any better in terms of your army composition, and the addition of the Wave Serpents has given you some much needed mobility, which should help you in objective missions in particular.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline sn toter

• I can haz Avatar?
« Reply #2 on: July 6, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
That does help, thank you.  I think I'll have to live with the wraithsight until I can get more stuff.  I only have one model of a bright lance, if I can find another I'll upgrade it on the 2nd Wraithlord as well.  So here are my questions to you:

If I gave the Farseer Guide instead, can he use that on the guardian squad he rolls with and will is also affect the Wave Serpent he's in?

I can remove the scatter lasers from the guardian squads and upgrade the wave serpents to spirit stones with the points. Would that be a mistake?

Is Eldritch Storm any good?  Can it be played from within the transport?

Thanks again!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »
If I gave the Farseer Guide instead, can he use that on the guardian squad he rolls with and will is also affect the Wave Serpent he's in?

Guide can only be cast on a single unit.  The transport is a separate unit, so would be unaffected if you were to cast Guide on the Guardians and vice-versa.

I can remove the scatter lasers from the guardian squads and upgrade the wave serpents to spirit stones with the points. Would that be a mistake?

Guardians have to have a heavy weapon, so unless you have some Shuriken Cannons to give them to replace the Scatter Lasers, and still have points left over to pay for the Spirit Stones, this would not work.

Is Eldritch Storm any good?  Can it be played from within the transport?

Eldritch Storm is difficult to use well.  It's okay for spinning vehicles around, but in terms of inflicting damage, it's not all that impressive against most armies.  As for the second part of your question, I suggest that you read this thread, and the sections on transports and psychic powers in the main rulebook and Eldar FAQs.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline sn toter

• I can haz Avatar?
« Reply #4 on: July 6, 2011, 11:10:42 AM »
I hope that helps.

You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge!  That answers everything I had.  I DO have some Shuriken Canon sprues, iirc, so I can swap those in and add the Spirit Stones. Thanks!

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
Quote from: sn toter on Today at 08:58:32 AM
Guide can only be cast on a single unit.  The transport is a separate unit, so would be unaffected if you were to cast Guide on the Guardians and vice-versa.
In addition the wave serpents weapons are already twin-linked so guide won't do anything unless you upgrade the shuriken catapults to a cannon

Offline sn toter

• I can haz Avatar?
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2011, 08:51:56 AM »
Thanks guys, you all are great on here.  With all the advice, I have managed to piece together lists at the 500, 750, and 1k point ranges.  I'm excited to dive in and play now!