News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necron vehicle stats  (Read 1798 times)

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
  • Mindshackle Scarabs Abuser
  • Armies: Necrons, Vampire counts
Necron vehicle stats
« on: December 9, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
 Anyone else notice something different concerning necron vehicles in the army summary at the back?

Seems vehicles do have a - for WS,S,I,A.

I wonder if this could be used as an example for that whole Time's Arrow against vehicle discussion.
My Tesseract Labyrinth Collection:
 1xDreadknight
 Enemies Doored by Monolith:
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Necron vehicle stats
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »
Though I haven't seen the codex, I'm guessing that if the Newcron codex has walkers and that those vehicles do have values in those slots?

Normal vehicles don't use those stats, so they get a "-" to indicate that it doesn't apply. They also could have put an "x" or "0" or "N/A". A dash seems to be their custom to indicate a "non-stat".

For example, the most common weapon in the IG has an AP value of "-".

Edit:

| Boo-yah! ;)
 V
« Last Edit: December 9, 2011, 08:41:33 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
I wonder if this could be used as an example for that whole Time's Arrow against vehicle discussion.
It's just a way of having the Stalker in the same summary table as the other vehicles or else the single walker would need it's own and that would be a total waste of page space

Nothing more  :-\
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
I think that's just for completeness that they add the "-".

In regards to Time's Arrow, someone brought up a great point - vehicles cannot be "removed as a casualty" anyways.
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Normal vehicles don't use those stats, so they get a "-" to indicate that it doesn't apply. They also could have put an "x" or "0" or "N/A". A dash seems to be their custom to indicate a "non-stat".

- is different to 0. If you have a - it means that the stat has no purpose or meaning for the entry, whereas 0 mean you are just horrendously bad in the stat.
You can make a check against 0 but not against -.

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

- is different to 0. If you have a - it means that the stat has no purpose or meaning for the entry, whereas 0 mean you are just horrendously bad in the stat.
You can make a check against 0 but not against -.

I agree with vehicles cant be removed as a casualty, but Wisdom you need to check page 7 of the BRB '0' characteristics and '-' are two representations of the same thing.

If a model cannot use ranged weapons it will have a 0 bs, defenseless model will have no attacks whatsoever, but last one a WS0 model will be hit automatically intrigues me.
 1xDreadknight
 1xBlack templars dreadnought,1xChaos lord,1xEmperors champion,1xDante,1xBelial,4xMelta guns that failed to kill it,1xWolf lord,1xStraken

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »
NecronCell is correct in his citation of pg 7 of the BRB, "Zero-Level Characteristics."

I suppose an AP "0" weapon is the exact opposite of AP "-", though I know of no weapon that posesses such a characteristic.

The point I was trying to express is that vehicles, other than walkers, do not have stats in those categories, and as such they could put anything they like in there, like a !, or a $, or a R, or an "O" as in Omit... though I had posted a Zero. ;)

The Characteristics that non-walker vehicles possess can be found in the 40k RB, pg 56, left hand side.

The "Additional Characteristics" that walkers possess can be found in the 40k RB, pg 72, left hand side.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
My apologies  :-[

I assumed they were different because to my mind they are, 0 is an actual representative digit whereas - indicates that something is not applicable.

Offline NecronCell2131

• KoN Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
 GreatBigTree you are correct though with codex superceding BRB, Necron vehicles are listed at the back summary as having - for WS,I, A.

I' am not sure if this is geared towards 6th edition or just that they wanted to save room by printing the vehicles all in the same block instead of walker here and vehicles there.
 1xDreadknight

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:53 PM »
I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that because they have a "-" under those columns, that non-walkers have a valid stat in those categories?

If so, you'd have to quote a passage from the Necron codex that alters the 40k RB's function of using a "-". For example, some small arms [Flashlights] have an AP of "-"... meaning that they do not in any way penetrate armour. In the case of the vehicles cited, they in no way possess a WS, I, or A stat.

To elaborate further, a Monolith can never benefit from anything that would boost the attacks of nearby friendly models. It does not have an attack value of "0", it is incapable of Attacks at all.