News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar of winter night  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Garion

Eldar of winter night
« on: October 8, 2010, 05:38:42 PM »
Hi all!

I'm currently building my Eldar army and I've finally decided to go for an Alaitoc theme. Or a slightly modified one :)

As I'm a very slooow (and kinda lazy..) painter, so do not expect a daily update... on the other end it took me only eight months to choose the theme for the army so .....

Edit: added a quick menu to jump around the various subprojects ..

New tanks flying stands
The Seers Council jetbikes

/Edit

New tanks flying stands

Currently I'm working on a replacement for my tanks flying bases because a) the standard one are kinda ugly and b) my tanks are unable to remain in a stable position.

After quite a bit of scrapped designs I came up with this:

It's 3 cm tall and 4 cm wide at the base and I plan to made them with a thickness of 0,5 / 0,7 cm.

With this, and a piece of plasticard, I've made a template with witch I've made the first two stand using some sculpey:

Tomorrow I'm going to cook and sand them so I can try to assemble the first flying stand.

I'll keep you posted

G

Edit: fixed the second image
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:20:22 PM by Garion »

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
Re: Eldar of winter night
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »
I'll be honest and say that those aren't looking very good, kinda reminds me of Philadelphia cheese :P. But I had the same problem with my tanks, the "straight from the box" solution is ridiculous. Even if the base's stick can hold a whole tank, the slightest touch breaks it off.

So what I did is just make them hover at low altitude with my first tanks by using the counterpart to the ball joint that comes with the base. But what I did with my other tanks is slightly enlarge the slot for the base on the tank, and use a lollipop stick painted black. It's surprisingly stable and pretty tough. Hopefully the same kind of thing work for you.

And if you still want to try your idea, I do similar scenery with thin wooden board cutouts and round them off with a dremell.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Garion

« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2010, 04:19:46 AM »
yeah they kinda look like Philadelphia at the moment but that's because uncured sculpey is pretty malleable until you bake it. I'm putting them in the oven right now so in around twenty minutes we will see how they will turn up  ;D

I toyed with other stick based solutions but I really wanted an Eldar look for them so I looked around for some warp gate pictures and came up with the current design.

G

PS: I just noticed that the second picture it's pretty deformed... I'll fix this as soon as I'll understand how to do it... (fixed)

Edit:

OK, I made 3 other stands and backed and sanded all of them :

As for assembly, as I plan to use green stuff to secure the stand to the standard flying base I drilled the base of the stand four times and the base two time so the gs will fill this holes and create some pegs that will hopefully made the whole structure more stable.

I used a bit too much gs but the pegs did came out as planned.

The next step is to put magnets on the top of the stand to keep the tank in place.

G
« Last Edit: October 9, 2010, 07:46:25 AM by Garion »

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
Its kind of a waste of greenstuff if you ask me. You could get the same result and texturize the base on top of that by using PVA glue with sawdust.

And if you use magnets, make sure they are really powerful, you might need two of those little neodynium magnets. And even then it might be a bit unstable if you're not careful.

That first vane looks much better than the cheese you had before I have to admit :P. But the holes look kind of arbitrary rather than equidistant design the real eldar vanes have. I would remove all protrusions from the curvier side and make it smooth, like the old webway portals. And if you stick your tanks directly on them, it might seem like they are a part of the vehicle, or that the tank is crashing, maybe just a different colour scheme and something to put in between and give some distance between the tank and the base would help.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Garion

« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
yup too much gs, I just mixed too much off it. The idea was to use it to fill the holes in the stand and on the base and to seal the gap between the edge of the stand and the base itself.

As for the color scheme, I'd like to paint the stand to make it look like wraithbone and my tanks are going to be painted with a blue and white scheme.

I used this warp gate as a model for the stands because I like it very much, and I think that it is much better that the one that was available on the old GW website.

I also already got some thin rectangular magnets: they are strength 48 neodynium magnets, so they should hold the tank nicely.

G

Offline Garion

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:12:02 AM »
The first stand is functionally - complete (I'd like to add some spirit stones for decoration, but I'll do that only after all of the stands are ready for gameplay).

I've attached three strength 48 magnets on the top base of the stand and three under the tank hull (in this case, a Wave Serpent). In case you are wondering, to get the magnets to line up this way you have to alternate the polarity of the magnets. On the stand, the side facing up are, from back to front, negative - positive - negative. On the hull it's reversed: positive - negative - positive.

The magnets are doing their job pretty well:

G
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:13:10 AM by Garion »

Offline glock_22

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 11:06:50 AM »
I think you've come up with a pretty good solution.  I like the style of your stands, they should tie in well with the look of the models.

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 12:06:57 PM »
This looks like a very good solution to those annoying stands that GW gives us. Perhaps they could learn from this....
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Garion

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »
Thank you guys!

I'm currently magnetizing my old (and heavy) Fire Prisms. This will be the key test as they are the ones that had always give me trouble on the table

G

Offline thunderlord

• ooops you dead!
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »
thats awsome cant wait to see more keep it up ;D
if i were a bad demo man, do you id still be here talking to you now?!!!

40k 19-6-4 (W-L-D)

Offline Garion

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
Thank you thunderlord!

Tonight I've magnetize the hull of one of my Fire Prisms. I was a bit worried about the weight of the metal bits but it seems that the magnets are strong enough to hold it without problems:

Having cleared this last test I can start to assemble the other stands and make another two or three to cover all the skimmers that I've currently ... lets say "assembled" for the lack of a better word ^^;

While I was waiting for the green stuff to harden, I started working on magnetizing the Wave Serpents turrets:

If everything goes according to the grand plan, I'll be able to share all the weapons option between my Serpents and Falcons.

I should tell you that writing on peace of paper the intended sequence of magnets polarity BEFORE starting the actual assembly saved me more than one headache...

Edit 14/10/10

just a quick update: I've assembled the other four stands after a slight modification on one of them.

I just need to glue the magnets and than I can declare them done for the time being (I'll add sone spirit stone here and there when the time come to paint them)

G

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:11:53 PM by Garion »

Offline Garion

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
I never liked the standard Eldar jetbike and its Harley Davidson look. Searching on-line for some alternative designs I found this nice tutorial: using some bits from the old Dark Eldar jetbike you could came up with this pretty cool bike:

I have around a dozen of this bikes build and I will use them for my Guardians jetbikes.

When the new Dark Eldar jetbikes came out I begin to worry if I could use the new bits to make my bikes so I bought a box to experiment with. As I suspected there is no way to use the new kit in place of the old one.

The Seers Council jetbikes

I always wanted to give a different look to the bikes for my Seers Council so I took the new DE kit along with some of the old Harlequins jetbike canopies and mixed the bits around until I came up with a prototype for my new bike:

I assembled the DE jetbike body and steering controls and cut the wing off the footrest bit:

Next, I made two separate boosters from the Eldar jetbike lower body and I've attached them to the DE footrest:

The Harlequins canopy is made of metal, so some pinning is required to attach it to the bike body. I will also have to keep this in mind when I'll design the flying stands (like the ones I make for my tanks) for this bike.

On the "production" models I'll use green stuff to fill the round joint before drilling the hole for the pin to increase the "pinned" volume. The front section of the bike body will be also filled with GS for the same reason.

With the canopy in place the bike turned out too long for my liking so I cut out roughly half of the bike front section:

I also tried to tilt the canopy down to get a better overall look.

This is the bike with a WIP Farseer on board:

At the moment I'm quite pleased with the prototype but I still have some stuffs to work out:

- with the canopy tilted down I can put the shuriken catapults under it. I'm thinking about cutting them in two and placing them on either side of the canopy but I'm not so sure about it

- I need something to fill the void in the upper section of the engine. I could use the same heavy weapon bits I used for the old bike or something completely different but it could not be too height because it would get in the way of the Seers robes ... Any ideas guys?

As always, c&c greatly appreciated!

G
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:15:21 PM by Garion »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 08:39:53 AM »
Damn that bike looks good! Can't wait to see it painted. Way to go!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Garion

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 03:02:14 AM »
Thank you! I still haven't decided the final paint scheme for my bikes so it could take a way to see that bike painted ^^;

The big problem at the moment are the shuriken catapults as I still don't  know where to place them ...

Any suggestions guys ? XD

G

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 04:42:05 AM »
You can place them underneath the seat/footpedals.  Having them underslung all the way at the back like that would be reminiscent of the star wars speeder bikes.  :)
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline Garion

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 05:08:06 AM »
Hi Bourhgen,
I've tryed that last night but the standard bike catapults turned out being too big for the DE hull.

Right now I'm toying with the idea to split the catapults and place them under the wings.

G

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
You mean under the engine pods?  Or under the wings themselves?  It doesn't look like there's much room under those wings.  They're rather small and adding anything to them might make them look overly crowded.  I guess I'll have to wait to see pics of your work in progress.  :)
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline Garion

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 03:43:33 PM »
I was talking about the actual wings and you are right: the bike catapults are too big. As I really liked the idea, I tried others bits and found that the guardians catapults are a perfect fit. So here she is :

She look like kinda patched up because... she really is ^^; White-tack is the only thing that it's keeping her together at the moment

I've also removed the "bars" from the top of the engine section and pure here the base of the DE splinter gun (the one  that goes under the bike canopy)

I quite like how she turned out and I think it's time to actually build the first bike.

C&C welcome as always

G