News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119182 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave! (Life...Is...Rising!!!)
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2019, 06:10:51 AM »
You got two looncurse boxes?  :o  I’m so jelly!  ;D  I wasn’t able to get any myself.  Will have to eBay the squig boss.

But anyway, great work on everything.  :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
man the AoS model look awesome :)

The new trees look great too, I want to see how easy it is to move models through them as the old wood are kinda terrible.

Yeah, I've been on the fence about Sylvaneth for several months now. But when the new stuff was reve as led, I realized that I had to have it  :P. Now that I've got them in person though, the models are gorgeous! Not sure why I held off of them for so long.

Agreed, as someone who has used the woods as terrain, it's a complete pain to move stuff through them. The new Wyldwoods don't seem to have a place where you can move into them, maybe I should look again.

You got two looncurse boxes?  :o  I’m so jelly!  ;D  I wasn’t able to get any myself.  Will have to eBay the squig boss.

But anyway, great work on everything.  :)

Yep, got crazy lucky getting a box at all, let alone two! Better be quick about that Squig Boss, who knows how long he'll be on the market.

If you were State side, I would hooked you up ;D! Thought about keeping the gloomspite side, but I've decided to sell it. Don't really need a fourth AoS army right now  :P.

Thanks, guys!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2019, 03:28:19 PM »
Thanks for the offer Myen’Tal.  :)

Actually, I don’t suppose it’s possible for me to buy one of those squig bosses off you is it?  I’m thinking about p&p and custom duties etc.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
Hi Calamity, I actually just sold both of my sets this morning. I actually told Wyddr the same thing. Someone offered me $160 for both lots, so I couldn't turn it down.

Sorry guys, I'm sold out!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2019, 04:23:29 PM »
Aw, ok.  It was worth a shot anyway.  ;D

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2019, 07:21:45 PM »

Only thing I'm missing is a connector for my airbrush to link to my compressor. Will go look for one next weekend. Then... shall we begin ;D?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:23:05 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:20 PM »
nice. Buy some elcheapo plastic green army men/tanks. They are good practise dummies :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »
What Magenb said, definitely. Glad you're moving up but remember it won't fix everything, trust me most of us have been there with the splatter or the spitting and clogging. So be wary. There's also a lot that can be accomplished like smooth white, shadowing, solid base coats, etc. Just don't be afraid to ask for guidance, lots of pros on here.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2019, 08:37:58 PM »
What Magenb said, definitely. Glad you're moving up but remember it won't fix everything, trust me most of us have been there with the splatter or the spitting and clogging. So be wary. There's also a lot that can be accomplished like smooth white, shadowing, solid base coats, etc. Just don't be afraid to ask for guidance, lots of pros on here.

nice. Buy some elcheapo plastic green army men/tanks. They are good practise dummies :)

Thanks, guys, I don't expect to be an airbrush master over night. When I have questions, I'll definitely come to you guys if research cannot solve it. I appreciate the good will! I'm still waiting on some auxiliary supplies... Flow Improver, thinner, cleaner, etc. So I'm not sure when I'll exactly be able to get started.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:47:34 AM by Myen'Tal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2019, 11:26:24 PM »
Looking good. I originally grabbed some of these guys to do an exodite conversions, but I really enjoyed painting my ancients, simple washes and dry brushing works really well and plenty of room to correct things if(when) I screwed up lol. So much so I never ended up trying to convert them.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
Thanks, Mage! Yeah, cannot wait to get started on this Sylvaneth army to be honest. I've narrowed down the schemes that I want to do them in to either Clan Gnarlroot, Heartwood, or Harvestboon. I think I'm favoring Harvestboon honestly, they have a really striking color scheme that I like.

I've actually got another start collecting box for Sylvaneth on the way, thanks to a trade I made for some Slaanesh stuff I initially bought.

I think I'll assemble a Durthu for my next treeman. I've got about 18 T-Revenants left. Three Kurnoth Hunters to go. And a bunch of Dyrads that I haven't touched yet!

EDIT: Trying to decide the configuration of my T-Revenants. Not certain if I want 2 units of 10 or 4 units of 5 with command groups. I understand Tree Revenants aren't that great with the current rules. But that might change with the new battletome... do I take the risk and make some 10 strong units?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:10:51 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #231 on: May 15, 2019, 10:35:55 PM »
Looking good, great start for sure on the army. As for the question, in earlier versions of fantasy I would have gone with 10 strong, I still lean towards more wound units but with AoS, units of 5 could work great. I guess it really depends on what their role is going to be on the battle field. I'm not familiar with their rules but if they have a high toughness then they could be good with just 5 for holding units while stronger units can get in position to strike. If strong and multiple attacks, then they could be better at 10 strong to tear up enemy units. I hope this helps.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #232 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Dread! Well, Tree Revanents have a 5+ save and 1 wound a piece. Their points cost for 5 models also kind of hampers their ability to be taken in greater numbers. But this is for the old rules.

Dryads are simply more effective at the moment. I'm hoping to see some real changes for the T-Revs in the new battletome. They're good for board control and objective grabbing, but I'd like to use the battleline option as an actual frontline unit.

So that's my conundrum, Haha. I'll go ahead and assemble two command squads, then leave my other two unassembled until the time drops.

Speaking of AoS, how are those Goblins coming along Dread?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2019, 08:13:20 PM »
At a stand still again. Health problems again. REALLY REALLY wanted looncurse but no money which is good because our local store only got 2 in and gone that quick. I'm actually trying to force myself to go back to my hobby room right now and paint but wore put from work today, ehh, who knows just might. Been living thru watching ya'll paint. Our KT groups have dissolved but hoping the release of elites will kick it back up. Still don't know if it will or if I'll get time. I got an 87 Chevy pick up last week and we're changing the engine out so I hope to get some game time in after working in it.

Blah blah blah. I got long winded there. If I paint tonight, I post progress pics. Thanks for asking.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »
At a stand still again. Health problems again. REALLY REALLY wanted looncurse but no money which is good because our local store only got 2 in and gone that quick. I'm actually trying to force myself to go back to my hobby room right now and paint but wore put from work today, ehh, who knows just might. Been living thru watching ya'll paint. Our KT groups have dissolved but hoping the release of elites will kick it back up. Still don't know if it will or if I'll get time. I got an 87 Chevy pick up last week and we're changing the engine out so I hope to get some game time in after working in it.

Blah blah blah. I got long winded there. If I paint tonight, I post progress pics. Thanks for asking.

That sucks, Dread (except the Pickup Truck, that's cool 8)). I hope you'll be in good health soon! Also hope you'll get some paint time sooner rather than later. I now know what not being able to paint is like, and it's a whole lot of boredom ;).

Here's more hobby progress for you to ogle at!

Left side, regular paints. Right side, citadel air paints.

Question for you guys. So, I've purchased the Vallejo Mecha Color Primer (Black and White). I've just now read the instructions on the primer and it mentions that it has a satin finish when it dries. Is that going to be a problem for a matte finish if I paint over that? Do I just need to hit a primed miniature with a matte varnish before I start painting?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »
It's a primer so satin makes no difference. You can paint any finish paint over no prob.when you seal the finished model with gloss, all glossy, with satin, all satin and with matte it will all be dull.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2019, 04:57:56 AM »
Regarding satin finish, it depends on what you put on top. If you pop a semi transperant paint or wash it will turn out a little different, but if you put a base or layer over top its no real difference.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
Only if you don't seal coat it afterwards then you can really see a difference. You are correct my friend.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2019, 11:05:42 PM »
Only if you don't seal coat it afterwards then you can really see a difference. You are correct my friend.

Regarding satin finish, it depends on what you put on top. If you pop a semi transperant paint or wash it will turn out a little different, but if you put a base or layer over top its no real difference.

Thanks, guys, that's one problem laid to rest. I still need an adapter for my airbrush, which I'm planning on grabbing from our local tool store this weekend. Still waiting on some items to ship before I begin though.

In the meantime, here is what I've been working on:

So, what's left for the Sylvaneth that I own, you ask?

1 Durthu
32 Dryads
5 Tree-Revenants
1 Branchwych
... and that's it for now!

In the future, I'm planning to have three squads of six for each of the Kurnoth Hunter variants.
Also I want Allarielle. Besides the new Sylvaneth stuff, I think that'll do it for the time benig.

As for my other Aelven armies, here is the list of stuff I haven't collected / haven't assembled yet.

15 Khinerai Harpies
60 Witch Aelves
10 Melusai
1 Akhelian King
1 Ylthari's Guardians

And that's about it! I'm selling off all of my Namarti, because I primed them black and am wanting to do another, more vibrant scheme. But this time, I think I'll be focused solely on Namarti Reavers. I'm not sold on the Thralls, at least until General's Handbook comes out.

Thanks for tuning in!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
Oh so cool! I'm so glad to see them all assembled. Now the grueling part, haha, I mean fun part. Will be waiting, trying to paint too, on your progress.

BTW, sad your selling them but understand, I've done the same thing for the same reason but replacing them, great. I've had 3 dark elf armies and now working on the 4th. I've had 4 sisters of battle armies and will be getting a 5th. Don't even get me started on orcs, vampire counts and the many others. But now I've slowed down, it's a good thing but then the new stuff comes out and its, EEEKK! Bug eyed and figuring out what to rid of to afford the new. Great addiction tho!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:45:16 PM by Dread »