News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I'm having trouble w/ the Eldar  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Thrawn.

• Pathfinder
  • Ancient
  • Keep running.
I'm having trouble w/ the Eldar
« on: August 4, 2002, 06:30:33 PM »
Eldar star cannons are ripping my army to shreds.
They lay waist to my terminators with they're AP 2.
and the squad(s) are so big i cant kill em til im in cc
and by that time they've already racked in tons of
victory points.

I'm fielding a blood angels army (if that's any
help with they're high point single models)

If any of u vetern sm players have any ideas they
would be greatly appreciated
I have the flag.

I hate noobs. I hate vets. I hate those that hate. I hate hypocrites.

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re:I'm having trouble w/ the Eldar
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2002, 09:19:16 PM »
[size=8]DEEPSTIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]

on to the afending weapon and do that BA thing(CC!!!!!)

lol

wellard
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2002, 05:43:05 PM »
  as an eldar vet and having played against ba for a couple of years, you can out-charge and out c-c eldar to shreds. make sure you charge banshees and scorpions first. remember, cc blocks those defender star cannon platforms as nicely as any vehicle or terrain piece would.

;f.desrochers

Swift

« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2002, 06:50:37 PM »
Yo fed just wanted to ask you a question buddy charge banshees? Scorpions is fine to charge but banshees?

Offline Farseer_Sting

• Play Guard, Never be out gunned
« Reply #4 on: August 6, 2002, 08:24:01 PM »
ok dont charge banshees (since they always strike first!) anyways make sure your death company had jump packs, i have played a BA player about 30 times i havn't won yet. but he is also like 289 and 0. he used to take an honour guard for when death company finally died off, i've never actually fought with them! So dont despair, put a sanguinary high priest and a chaplin in death company, you can basically make 4 saves 2 normal (those may be negated by say starcannons) but then you can re-roll your ignore injury role, and then with the other guy he will allow you to re-roll any failed to hit roles, very deadly combo!

Instant IQ test click here

Warp Riders Expeditionary Force
Win=15
Loose=2
Tie=0

Offline Tycho

• BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • My 40k Site (still lots to to be done)
« Reply #5 on: August 7, 2002, 12:03:43 PM »
if you didnt know

terminators get an invornable save of 5+ so they can survive against star cannons but it is not worth puting them on because the risk of rolling a 1-4 is easyer than 5-6
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!"

Offline Thrawn.

• Pathfinder
  • Ancient
  • Keep running.
« Reply #6 on: August 7, 2002, 01:31:12 PM »
Who ever suggest to charge banshees is a jerk...
I've skimed through the codex and i no they have
power weapons and always strike first

Where does it say that termies have a 5+ invulnerable save?

If it says it in the rule book i thought the codex overrides
everything thats in there...
and its not under the termie wargear section

(im new to 40k and i just need to clear these things up)

sombody please explain
:(
I have the flag.

I hate noobs. I hate vets. I hate those that hate. I hate hypocrites.

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
« Reply #7 on: August 7, 2002, 03:00:07 PM »
space marine codex it says about the terminator armour and it says they get a 5+inv save.
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 7, 2002, 05:30:11 PM »
  well, seeing as how i don't play banshees (only aspect i don't), i'm not current with the rules. i was under the impression they only *always* struck first when they charged, otherwise init order obviously; this assuming you have it (chaplains, commanders, etc.)

for the most part, i meant charge him before he charges you. as an eldar player it usually works out, especially with space marine stats and their armour save. they usually make up for it. engaging units in h2h forces the eldar player to adjust for blocked los. that was the point of the post......

just chalk it up to the one eldar player who doesn't know anything about banshees!  ;D i know, i'm an embarrassment to the race.

;f.desrochers

Offline DeamonMonkey

• Come on touch it. I dare you
  • Still a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2002, 12:49:08 AM »
Yes you are,

And just give it up the Filthy Mon-Keigh can never defeat the masters of The Universe (I just know I spelled something wrong...)

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2002, 01:47:46 PM »
Alright, to clear up some of the confusion on this post:

On the terms of terminators having 5+(I) saves:
If you have an older 3rd edition codex this isn't there.  If you purchased one after Chapter Approved it will.  Obviosly you purchased one before buy Chapter Approved and turn to the page titled: "Crux Terminatus"

On what to do about starcannons:
Being a veteran Eldar player I can tell you one thing.  It takes one squad of marines to stop that Starcannon.  I'm guessing it is in a gaurdian squad from your description.  First off deal with anti tank weapons i.e. bright lances, missle launchers, and take a squad of 10 marines in a Rhino and send it after the gaurdians.  The starcannon needs a 5 to glance and a six to pen.  Get within 12" spin the Rhino 180 degrees disembark and fire your bolters if it won't put you out of charge range.  Then charge in.  Eldar are slowed down by the presence of a Platform and the squad can't fleet of foot.

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline LehmanRuss

• Has a Custom Title
  • Hey, you mess with the Bull, you get the Horns.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2002, 12:50:55 PM »
First of all, I'd DEFINATELY charge banshees when I get the chance, because if you don't THEY'LL get the +1 attack for charging instead of you.  Beyond that, the +1 strength for charging means you'd wound on 2+, so it's worth it if you can get a slight edge in numbers on the banshees.

Also, a very simple and easy bit of help is buying a 75 Whirlwind.  Hell, buy TWO if you have to.  The ability to rain an ordinance template down on those large guardian squads no matter where they go will DEFINATELY edge the favor back to you.

Also, having bike squads in reserve to counter charge are a GREAT idea.  Their toughness is so high that it makes nearly all Eldar foot trooper units worthless against them.
We've been run down every hill.  Chased up all the dead end streets.  But if you try to cut us out, you'll get a kick in the teeth!

There's only two ways this can end, and in both of them, you die.

[img]http://www.ultinomicon.com/images/ultbigbanner.jpg[/i

Offline Granite Slam

• Fio'el Tautica - I See Stupid People...So Many Stupid People...
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Coolest. Dude. Ever.
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2002, 05:28:27 PM »
Don't forget the BA rule of Eldar bashing....
Fill your 3 Heavy slots with Whirlwinds
Mash it up, bash it up, nice and tight.

Seriously though, if your Starcannons are coming from guardian squads then a Whirlwind will seriously sort them out. If you are experiencing the joys of warwalkers with two starcannons apiece then still go after them with the Whirlwind. Warwalker squadrons have to remain within 2" just like any other unit and represent a nice large target for guess range weaponary. Remember that as they are open-topped any hits from blast marker weapons give 2 hits rather than 1 and you add 1 to your roll on the damage tables. Failing that, massed bolter fire can bring them down as well.

-={ Sytoru }=-
I reserve the right to end any discussion with a big stick.

Quote from: Rummy
Dark Eldar - better than everyone be-atch! The only reason the Dark Eldar haven't toppled the Imperium is that Terra doesn't have valet parking.