News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Footslogger list for 5th Eldar (Ulthwe)  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Damon

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Footslogger list for 5th Eldar (Ulthwe)
« on: October 6, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »
I have had a great deal of discussion with moc065, and we have worked through this list for footslogging Eldar.

Eldrad   396
3 warlock, 1 Warlock w\embolden, 1 warlock w\destructor,  1 spiritseer w\enhance (Even more wounds, extra CC punch, and re-roll on the LD for when you need it - Mindwar, etc)

10 guardians w\brightlance warlock w\embolden 140
10 guardians w\brightlance warlock w\embolden 140 (still big enough to get Objectives, etc.. and small enough to use too, without drawing so much attention).
14 storm guardians warlock w\enhance        152
10 Dire Avengers w\exarch w\bladestorm  147

Wraithlord brightlance double flamer wraithsword 140
                                                                         Total: 1849pts

At first glance you are probably thinking "what is with all the brightlances?" well I have figured out that with the saves in 5th to vehicles, and all other things that I want to have multiple chances to kill that vehicle, MC, or finish off that enclosed building that the unit of destruction is holed up in. I played this list with differant weapons and found many problems, first I would hit with the weapon but not wound because of the low strength, or I would wound and the AP would still give a save (this one mostly against MC I want them to take that 4+ cover instead of the 2+ or 3+ they might have standard) I have found that the bright lance solves most of these problems with the str 8 and ap 2 the lance does the job. The rest of the list is to deal with hordes. The Avatar is fortuned every turn and doom where needed, with Eldrad it also gives me flexability to have access to all powers when and where needed. Mobility with this list is limited, however on a table it covers a wide area of table. Thanks for reading and I hope you see good things in the list even though it is a very drastic difference form your own highly mobile hit and run style lists, (which are also very potent) comments and scores welcome.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2008, 06:50:56 PM by Damon »

Offline Erethrin

Re: Footslogger list for 5th Eldar (Ulthwe)
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »

3 warlock, 1 Warlock w\embolden, 1 warlock w\destructor,  1 spiritseer w\enhance (Even more wounds, extra CC punch, and re-roll on the LD for when you need it - Mindwar, etc)

not sure i understand , your saying you could re-roll de 1d6 on the mind war power ? i highly doubt it ... since i dont think its a LD test (like casting mind war)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2008, 07:47:23 PM »
I believe there is a FAQ on the use of Mindwar and Embolden to re-roll for it, as it is a LD based test....

Also understand that although I have discussed soem things with Damon in regard to this list, I did not try to alter his units, etc... I tried to help him refine the units he chose so that they could possible work better within his own style of gameplay.

Eldrad   396

10 guardians w\brightlance warlock w\embolden 140
10 guardians w\brightlance warlock w\embolden 140 (still big enough to get Objectives, etc.. and small enough to use too, without drawing so much attention).

Total: 1849pts

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank; With 7 of 11 units having dedicated and/or supporting anti-tank options I think that it rates a lilttle above average. (0.7)
2.. Anti-MEQ; It does not boast a high number of anti-p-armour options; but it still can make up for those options with its volume of fire, etc. Thus it is about average. (0.6)
3.. Anti-Horde; This army is almost designed to deal with Hordes, or tough Hordes (thinking of Orkz in particular)... It has a decent balance of short, medium, and long ranged options; and is only lacking in volume higher strength options; thus I score it as Very Good. (0.9)
4.. Ranged Firepower; It has a very nice balance; but could use some improvement; thus I score it as Good. (0.8 )
5.. Assault potential; I owuld not say that it has dedicated assault potential; but it has some nice counter assault, holding, and or combo assault options; thus I score it as Average (0.6)
6.. Scoring Units / point level; 6 out of 11 units can score, they may not be the most resilient; but they have decent movement base to gain scoring options, and little tweeks to help them stay around long enough to score, so overall I consider it Good. (0.8 )
7.. Durability or Resilience; I see some serious resilience in the 4 MC's with Big-E and his bodyguard... the rest works out to basic numbers of plenty of body bags, and how they are used; overall I score it as Above Average. (0.7)
8.. Flexability; This list will struggle vs certain list (big time) as I see it performing in a pretty standard fashion regardless of enemy, mission, etc; thus I score it as Below Average. (0.4)
9.. Mission Capabiliy; Plenty of Scoring options, plenty of Contsting options, not too many Kill Points and all in all I would say its Mission Ready... A little more mobility might help; but its a Footslogger list, so lets keep that in mind; overall I score it as Good. (0.8 )
10. Dynamics and/or Theme; Big-E, some Warlocks, plenty of Gaurdians (DA counting as the old Black Guardians)... it has a very certain Ulthwe feel to it aside form the MC's.. and they don't distract too much... Overall I would say its a Very Good Footslogger style list. (0.9)

Rating = 7.2/10 ** Others may score it differntly; but I see this list doing well in almost any situation. I don't think its going to win a lot of tournaments; but I bet you that it could hold its own in many situations.

CaHG
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:03:52 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Damon

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2008, 08:05:43 PM »
Embolden lets you reroll tests for psyic powers per the latest FAQ. That is what i mean.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
I see tanks being a nuisance to take down.  You've got two BS3 brightlances as your only ranged anti-tank.  If they miss, or fail to do their job before being taken down you need to walk your monstrous creatures or psykers up to the vehicle and physically hit it.  This is doable, but something like a Predator or Land Raider that's got a few Lascannons on it can do a decent job dropping your Wraithlords and Avatars at range.  Add in a few enemy sniper units, or simply a large, tarpitting horde unit and your monstrous creatures will be either dead or tied up for a few crucial turns.  Now, with smart us of cover, running, and target prioritization you should be able to deal with armour effectively enough, but I can see it being tricky.

Now, assuming that you send your big monsters after the tanks to take them down your army is heavily lacking in CC punch.  A unit of fast-moving assault troops, like Assault Marines, Wraiths, or even Dark Eldar in transports can easily evade your big CC threats and start munching through your Defenders and Dire Avengers.  Positioning the Storm Guardians as a counter-assault force, or simply as a speed-bump may be crucial.

Overall it looks like an interesting list.  Very challenging to use properly, but once you get a handle on how it works I can see it doing well.  The only changes I'd be tempted to make would be to give the Storm Guardians either flamers or melta-guns (to help with thinning out dense crowds, or to give you a little bit of extra anti-armour/anti-terminator firepower) and give one or both of the Dire Avenger squads a CC upgrade of some sort.  Shimmershield and/or Defend can help them hold an objective if they're being assaulted.