News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects.  (Read 21746 times)

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
Re: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 05:23:33 AM »
Ummmm, replace the leg joint with a ball, then add extra armour and stuff to cover/detail the ball.
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Ahh.  I'm probably just going to keep it standard for now.  I like the standard pose fine enough.

Going to get to work on my creation before long.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects (terrain and otherwise).
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 09:22:01 PM »
I want to try out heat bending the next time I work on the warhound, but didnt want to go to the trouble of getting out the iron (wherever the thing is..) so I haven't actually worked on the titan today.  I did spend a while toying with some sprew bits and I think 30 guage copper wire, and erected some pretty good looking barbed wire.  A few years ago I started working on an imperial outpost, and lately I have actually been putting effort into it.  Lately the things completed have included the barbed wire, a fuel/chemical tank, and the immobile missile launcher. 

Things completed so far (some requiring tweaking, painting, bits, or other minor work):
2 bunkers
watch tower
marble columns
several stone walls
several gothic barriers
several large stones
2 mine fields
2 tank traps
barbed wire
missile platform
chemical/fuel tank and barrels
1 small ruins
small wooded areas (mostly just cut green felt)
Probably more but I cant be bothered to go down to the garage and check.

Things to be finished (many started but with substancial work needed):
barracks
comm tower/building
supply/ammo dump
more tank traps (hand made)
Some manner of ramparts (may not be used for the outpost itself, but I do have some rather perfect styrofoam for this)
other stuff yet thought of/remembered.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 10:02:28 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 05:20:31 AM »
Tank traps are easy, just hack up styrofoam to the desired shape :D
What, Wait?

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »
For the tank traps I'm probably going to use bits of sprue plastic.  I have tons of the stuff saved up, and its great for stuff like this.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
For now I have decided to continue just cutting apart the templates and gluing them together.  With a bit more experience, and more care, it's working just fine.  I will be getting some...well I forget what it's really call, but a kind of putty that dries and then you can sand it smooth, to use for cracks and gaps.

I expect to finish the feet and ankles today, and then maybe some of the legs, though I need to go and grab the PVC I need later this week for the various joints.  I should have pics up tonight.

Edit:  Making good progress, foot, ankles, and half of toes done.  Now just to cut and glue the second half of the toes and I'll be done for the day.  Will get pics up after that of the progress, as well as the missile platform and my new barbed wire.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:09:55 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 03:43:21 AM »
Finished up the feet tonight.  Some parts came out well, some are quite rough.  This tuesday or so I will be getting some poxy putty type stuff to keep it smooth and even. Because I'll be using the poxy I havent glued the parts of the feet together yet, hence the feet not being raised up by the toes as they should be.  Makes it look kinda weird without it assembled.  Also I'm going to be ordering the pistons soon.  I'll also be adding more plasticard to the feet and toes to make it look more bulked out and better shaped, after the poxy is done with.

The wire took longer than I thought, but no huge surprises, made it while watching a movie.  Unpainted and unbased, but pretty satisfied with it.

I'll be getting the stone textured spraypaint tuesday and making this look better, but here's the missile platform.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 03:47:49 AM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

Offline burgers4me

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 04:54:39 AM »
Looks good, and how come I am the only one who replies here?
Just BTW, whats the missile pod for?
What, Wait?

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 12:56:48 PM »
Just a general terrain piece and possible game use in certain scenarios and campaigns, using the rules i created.

i think this forum section just isnt very busy.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
Last night I got the shin armour cut, though all in whole pieces, which I will try to heat bend.  I make the effort for these pieces mainly because they will be one of the very few pieces that are made from 0.08" plasticard, which is the thicker size.  Throughout the rest of this week I intend to finish cutting and assembling the leg pieces, as well as designing and cutting extra armour and other pieces for the feet and legs that were not part of the template.  The WIP guide/thread I have studied, which is the source of my template, does this to his titan, which I find fully necessary.  The feet without any extra bits look so plain and just...incomplete/weak.  I will let you all know what measurements these pieces are and will put pictures up of them once I decide how I want to proceed for them. 

I also hope this week to manage to get down to home depot to pick up my PVC, plaster, and whatever other bits I think may be useful for the titan, or for terrain/other projects of mine.

I am intending on adding some defensive weaponry to my titan, perhaps around the knees, or up at the hips/groin.  I think what is most practical for this is adding the vehicle missile launchers, and perhaps also some heavy bolters/storm bolters/maybe flamers or heavy flamers lower on the body for self defense.  I do have a couple of sponson/hull mounted heavy bolter bits that would work great for this, maybe even coming out of the shin armour or knee joints, but I'm remiss to use these as I may want to use them for a scratch built pred/pred conversion I may do from scratch soon.  These bits, however, can be added later in its construction.  Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been giving some thought as to how I will wish to use my titan in battle.  My current army style is primarily a firepower base (predator, whirlwind, landspeeder typhoon, terminators) and an aggressive element that drop pods or quickly attacks to take down my opponents major attacking units and mobility (dropped sternguard with melta/flamer bomb+libby, dread with MM+HF, vindicator).  Given that the titan will be such a points investment, and a huge portion of my damage output, I can't just toss him away, and have to expect heavy attacks on it.  Given this, I intend to use it as the core of my fire support, deploying it in a corner of the board as possible and surrounding its base with my two tactical squads, and my non-aggressive vehicles so that my opponent cannot deep strike or move into CC with the titan with super units like fire dragons, melta sternguard, etc.  My aggressive units will target opposing war machines (just one baneblade that hasnt even been completely constructed in the year+ he's owned it), and other major threats.

I do hope in time after this titan is completed to design some campaigns and scenarios around it, so I may toy around with this during the building project.

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 12:40:16 PM »
Its very hard to comment without lots of pics.
Mine is stalled atm due to this damn space hulk and trying to build 7 6X4foot board for my club. :o That and this damn ubuntu computer is playing up again.
Dare I say it but I may buy a new laptop with win7 just for printing.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »
Aye, it takes a while before threads like these take off.  I think once I get the legs done, the poxy on and smoothed, as well as some extra armour and bits people may start taking some interest as it becomes substantial. 

I know how you feel about the comps...My laptop is now, after 5 years, held together with duct tape, and wont charge without me jamming the chard cord into the port at a certain angle and holding it.  This speaks of nothing about its performance.  I will never again buy a dell...  My desktop...well...it s not as bad.

For my space hulk games I just printed out the GW templates and pasted them onto cardboard/cardstock.  Not nearly as cool, but I havent really found anyone interested enough in kill teams or space hulk to make anything more comprehensive.

In a very minor update, I have a game scheduled tonight with my main gaming mate, having him bring over his apocalypse book so I can get the warhound info out of it, and likely solidify my weapons choice out of that.  I would imagine in the future, however, I may make some alternate weapons.

Also a question to those actually viewing this thread.  What colour schemes do the titan legions tend to use?  Scheme suggestions?

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »
Having taken down the rules for the Warhound titan from the Apocalypse book, I have settled on equipping my titan with the Double-Barreled Turbo Laser Destructor and the Vulcan Mega-Bolter.  This is so that I have a massive source of anti-personnel fire, and can guarantee that I can nuke any tank I want, even those blasted land raiders and their pesky assault terminators too!  Also I have a couple tubes I may use for the turbo laser, but in reality they are probably too big.  Too bad I'm not making an emperor titan with a Gatling cannon, they'd be perfect for that.

I'm really kind of surprised at the cost of the Warhound; at less than 800 points you really have no choice but to take it!

Nothing else really to say for the moment.  Tomorrow I don't think I will have time for any worth on the titan, with a job interview, some errands, and then cooking for a group in the afternoon/evening.  This weekend I should finish getting the legs formed, and hopefully make some progress on the extra armour bits for the feet.

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 01:11:27 AM »
Also a question to those actually viewing this thread.  What colour schemes do the titan legions tend to use?  Scheme suggestions?
Too many to say but try

http://www.epic40k.co.uk/force/titanorders.pdf
http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Titanenlegion
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/07/bols-mini-dex-downloads-archive.html
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
Thanks, those are some great links :)

I really would love to get a banner made for my titan, for between the legs, maybe hanging from one of the weapons, but sadly the banners they have on BOLS are less than desirable.  I may have to have one designed.

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
So Which legion are you going to join?

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
Well given the connection with Ultramar I like the idea of Legio Praetor, though the bols file doesnt describe their colours or any other kinds of details.  Without a good source of actual fluff about them, I'm primarily concerned with the colour scheme.  I think I will end up designing my own, or having my girlfriend design the titans banner to hang from the groin.  As far as the colour scheme goes I found a number of general colour schemes that I like, which at the below. 

So picking one of these to base my titan off is probably what will happen.  I like the spottling effect, I may have to figure out how that is done well, so that I can give my titan more depth and detail.  I do really like the dark red and the dark purple main colour schemes, but we'll see in time.  I imagine before it's fully assembled I will choose my colour scheme, base coat with a fitting spraypaint, and then do whatever overcoats are necessary to give it depth and the final colour I desire.  As my titan is going to be more simple than the forgeworld version, there will sadly be probably a lot less of the dark boltgun metal colour, though I think the upper toe portion, the non-armoured parts of the legs and arms will be just fine painted in this manner, similar to my dreadnaught (as below).

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:48 PM »
Just some notes to myself really.  Trying to think of ways to do parts of the titan, and additions I can make to fill him out.

Extra armour around the bottom toes, and raised up a bit in the front of it.

Extra armour along the curves of the shin armour.

Boltgun metal on the extra armour/non armoured areas.

Rivets on crotch, toes, extra armour bits where fitting.

Grill on the top, mini fans if possible.

Defensive weapons on the top of the shins, below the knees. 

Pen bodies for the turbo laser?

Needle covers for mega bolter holes, or if too big use coffee straws.

Copper wiring, but where to use?

Hatches on shoulders.

Purity seals, texts, and banners on weapons, and other parts.

Imperial eagles on the shins
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:21:40 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »
I'm experimenting with trying to make some extra armour for the toe segments, but I'm not satisfied thus far.  I used 0.08" plasticard, and I think I may redo it in 0.04", but the shape seems off.  I think I'm done messing with it for now, though.

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
So today I head out to home depot in a few and see about getting the PVC and other parts and materials I need.  This will include 10 pieces of PVC large tubing for joints, and quite possibly small pieces enough for the turbo laser tubes.  I'm going for 1/2" tubes for the main barrel, and maybe smaller or bigger ones to come out of the end/surround the main barrel.  Also I'll be looking for the poxy putty stuff.  May even use dry wall, who knows.

Earlier I grabbed 1/16" brass dowels to cut and use for rivets.  I'm not sure how well it will come out, I have to file down the ends everytime I cut one, and theyre a be-atch to cut in the first place.  I think they'll look good though.  The plasticard dowels were 4x as expensive.

I think I have decided on red for my base colour, with quite possibly a white head but even though the plasticard is white I LOATH PAINTING WHITE.  So we'll see.  Most metal bits in boltgun metal, brass, or gold.

I picked two specific 40k terrain building pieces I want to use on my titan.  A friend of mine should be able to supply the two individual facings.  One will be for the back of the titan, one for the top which will be covered with a metal grating.

I've changed my mind as to how to do the extra armour on the feet, I'll experiment with it tonight perhaps.

I am going to be looking for materials that are good for bending, wrapping around other parts, and are overall used for detail work/filling out parts of my titan where the strength of plasticard is not needed and the malleability is better.

I have been giving further thought to titan tactics as my opponent remarks on putting his own mind to the task of taking down my warhound.  The two best methods I see for taking down my titan are based around denying its firepower.  If you can deny nearly 800 points of your opponents firepower, you have a big advantage.  So either drop podding to get really close, and shooting/assaulting, or rhino rushing as fast as possible for the same effect.  Given that my opponent as far as his marines are concerned, are hardcore dark angels, and therefore use the old version of the drop pod, this is not so much of a worry.  Also dealing with an armoured advance isnt too daunting wither with Heavy 2 5" blast str D, and H15 Str 6 weapons coming from my titan alone, and then the large amount of drop pod meltas, and ranged str 8 weaponry I host.  We will see what he comes up with though.

Off to home depot I go.