News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects.  (Read 21749 times)

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
Re: Scratch Built Warhound Titan, and side projects.
« Reply #60 on: December 5, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
This project has been delayed for the time being due to having to deal with a lot of obligations and illness, as well as for the fact that I would like to figure out a more effective and efficient way to deal with the plasticard (aka bending it somehow or finding another material that will work that will bend as needed, but is still somewhat resilient, unlike cardboard for example).  In 1-2 weeks I will make some inquiries with those I know who have already made some titans and get their thoughts.  I hope to bring some updates of progress soon.  I have the legs cut and waiting to be assembled.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #61 on: December 6, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »
Thanks for the update.. and I have found that two cereal box pieces glued together are quite strong, and bend easily enough if you work them slowly.

Also, try Foam Core..

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #62 on: December 6, 2009, 06:39:33 PM »
foamcore is a be-atch to bend. I would not recommend it at all. Try matboard (similar to cereal box, only softer, if that makes sense) you can curve it by cutting half or almost all the way through in parallel lines from 1/16" to 1/8" apart. then cut a curved brace and glue into place
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #63 on: December 6, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions both.  I may try double cereal boxes for some of it at least, but I have a lot of things to head up before I am in the position to experiment further.  I hope within a few weeks to be able to have tried this and made more progress, but I'm not sure for now.

I'll let you guys know.

UPDATE 3/11/2010

In the next month I hope to get back to the Warhound project, giving one last try to boiling or ironing my plasticard, and then I'll try out double cereal boxes (would really like to avoid) and if nothing else I'll go through the pain in the ass that is putting together this bastard one piece at a time.  Hopefully I'll get it assembled a bit more than the feet soon so that it can start being used.  My life will be getting pretty free for my own use in a couple of weeks or so, but having to cut individual template pieces...then cutting out the individual plasticard pieces, and theeen sanding down the edges, and theeeeen painting and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeen gluing it together.  The time it took to get the structure of just the two feet assembled was probably like...20 hours? maybe more maybe less, its been a while now, but still a lot of time regardless, so if I do have to follow this method, it'll be slow moving.  The legs and above will be faster moving because they don't include so many damn pieces, but hopefully we'll get a better method going regardless.

Hope to show you guys some actual progress in the near future.

UPDATE 3/28/10

Okay, so my warhound is still sitting around not being worked on, I admit, though I think I've found a good model to buy to base my Knight titan off of, thanks to another project thread here (tale of gamers).  I think I'll buy this, maybe change the defensive weapon to a couple of gatling auto cannons, or twin linked assault cannons, oooooooooor a missile wrack.  I may also replace one of the arm weapons with an earthshaker.  We'll see.  Either way, here is the model I'm probably going to buy, it's supposed to be 9-10" tall.

http://www.dustgame.com/products_d.php?nid=2&id=2
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:23:32 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #64 on: April 3, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »
Okay, so I purchased that gunther and it should be here within the next 10 days or so.  This will be the platform I will use for my knight titan, not changing too much.  So the plan will be to make some minimal to moderate alterations to 40k-ify it and turn it into the weapon of war that I actually want to field.  On the modeling side of things I'll be replacing one of the TL autocannons with an earthshaker cannon I'm buying off of ebay, and adding that autocannon to the other to make a quad cannon.  I may or may not remove/alter the small defensive turret on the top.  I don't think I'll be altering the model much otherwise, other than adding some banners/flapping cloths, some imperial eagles, etc.

For now I have three main developmental concerns.  The first simple one is the name.  I do not know what to name my titan.  As it is only a one man support titan that is the lowest tier of titans, I don't want to give it anything 'impressive' more like 'Baron ____' or something, naming it after the operator or region of its creation, etc.  I'd love some ideas here. 

Second is the paint scheme.  I had considered modeling it after the same scheme I'm using for my warhound but because of its minor size I'm not sure.  In this same line, I do wonder what I may want to do for making a base for this sucker and how I want to design/develop it.

Now third is the big thing.  Given that I don't believe there are any official entries for the knight titan from GW I don't believe I'm violating any copyright laws by posting the stats I've found for it, but I'm altering them anyway to try to make one that's balanced.  Titans in general give you an amazing amount of firepower for the points, but I still want to ensure I'm making something that isn't crazy unbalanced.  Because of the minor status of this titan it isnt really any more unbalancing than a landraider or two (aka they're a be-atch but doesn't mandate an armageddon game).  So the main thing that I'm altering to the knight titan (paladin pattern) is eschewing the close combat weapon, which I'm not a fan of as I want a fire support platform, for a quad autocannon.  And then I'm adding a bit of defensive weapons, wither a gattling heavy stubber (since thats what the turret on it looks like), or some manner of heavy bolters/assault cannons/missile launchers (probably stick to the stubbers or heavy bolters so as to not overgun it).
So what I am sitting at is this:

Knight Titan
Super-heavy Walker

WS3  BS4  S 10  F13 S12 R10  I2  A1
Structure Points: 2
Void: 1

The main weapon is a Knight Battle Cannon  R72”  S8  AP3  Apocalypse Barrage (2)
The other main weapon is my own design, but is something I want to tweak until I come to a good balance.  Even if it’s a minor titan, should I up the strength at all?  Should it remain twin linked?  I think its pretty good but I’m not sure.  Input?  Quad Auto-cannon  R72”  S7  AP 4  Heavy 8 (twin linked)

So the standard points would be 300 but with my alterations I think 350 would make this a fair gun platform, and I don’t think I need to alter the armour at all.  While I’d love AV 14 front I think this is fair, and I just have to shape my army plat and deployment to keep this valuable element of my force operating.

So would love thoughts on any point.  Once I get the model you'll all start getting pictures.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2010, 04:30:11 PM by Algavinn of Biel-Tan »