News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First Minis of 2010: Blood Angels Army Blog  (Read 8996 times)

Offline GlauG

• Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • My CMoN Gallery!
Re: First Mini of 2010: Furioso Librarian Dreadnought
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Hmm, I have a bunch of updates to this, but is it possible to get this moved to Painting and Modelling Blogs?  I'll be updating pretty regularly as I do the whole BA Army. :) 

Done and done, have fun and good luck
Changeyname

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 02:03:21 PM by Changeyname »

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
Re: First Mini of 2010: Furioso Librarian Dreadnought
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 01:26:37 AM »
great conversion awesome.

"live long and prosper!" ;)
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
Re: First Minis of 2010: Blood Angels Army Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 07:28:58 AM »
Okay, this has now turned into a general update thread for my BA collection, who I'm experimenting with army builds for...

That's everyone so far.  The astute among you will notice that only the Sanguinary Priest and one of the Dreads are even near finished...

Close up on the two Librarian Dreads.  The Force Staff is a WIP.

Both Dante and Lemartes have had their metal jump packs replaced with plastic ones... I also like Dante having the Sanguinary Guard one, as they share so much visually.  I'm experimenting with NMM on the Sang Guard, but it's slow and painful going...

Assault Squad + Sanguinary Priest. 

2E Librarian Termie with the arms from the current model...  long story short, a friend had both left over after a conversion, and since I'd severed the left arm for him, he offered it to me. 

Other stuff I've got in the works are some Scouts (who aren't even prepped for spray), another Furioso Libby Dread, and these guys;

I tried a game with a very silly 1500pt list involving 3 Furioso Libby Dreads, A Stormraven, 2 regular Dreads for fire support, Scouts, Death Company, led by Mephiston!  They destroyed my friend's similarly experimental 9 Landspeeder Vulkan list, which was amusing.  The Stormraven's based on the now-popular "Horn Pattern" custom, but I'll be doing a lot of things in my own way, particularly the rear doors/grapples. 

Offline Jakinder

• Get on my horse.
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 09:58:57 AM »
YEAH!!! YOU LISTENED TO ME!!! Unless of course that was your original plan...
You made it so the dread held the staff with both hands. It looks so beautiful.
Awesome job GlauG.

As for the Sanguinary guard, do they need their wings to be painted?
I lurk here so much.

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 05:49:31 AM »
It wasn't the original plan, but the more I worked on it the more I realised I liked it. :)  I currently have it posed so that it's holding the spiked end of the staff kinda like a spear about to stab down into something, two-handed...  And thankyou!

EDIT:  What do you mean about the Sanguinary Guard wings, btw?  They're just drybrushed so far, needs a lot more work.

Stormraven takes shape:

And with weapons:

And about 80% done:

You can see where it's differing from the "Horn" Pattern one, I didn't feel a need to extend the engine covers for one thing, I prefer the smaller fins at the front, and I'm mounting the weapons in totally different places...  The Assault Cannon is magnetised btw, so if I feel a need for Twin Lascannons or whatever I can switch them out, while the HB is the standard Marine Turret size, coming from a Planetstrike gun base, with Immolator Heavy Bolters and some plasticard/rod and can also be switched out for whatever. 

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #25 on: July 2, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
So, I get the second most important set of university results I'll ever get sometime later today, which meant I couldn't sleep last night.  But, on the upside, this means I got some modelling time in;

Someone down my local GW shop gave me a land raider minus sponsons, weapons and top hull plate in exchange for a pint. :D  One order of bitz and a rummage through my box later, and my BA Godhammer was born.  Now I just need to make my two Crusader/Redeemers...

Stormraven got a lot of love, too;

These are the only doors which don't open.  I just honestly couldn't be bothered to cut the hole in the hull, add hinges, magnetise it to keep shut, etc etc...

Now, here's the fun part; the Magna-clamps.

And of course, me being me, they actually ARE magnetic. As are my Dreads.

More impressive when you realise he has lead-based pewter legs from my old 1990's metal Dreadnought...

I just need to get off my butt and blend the hatches into the rear of the hull more when they're "down", and the assembly is totally finished!  Unless you count all the weapon options.  Which I plan on now making, after realising that mech armies laugh at Heavy Bolter/Assault Cannon combos. 

Offline Host of the Tumultuous Storm

• My name + Host of the Tumultous Storm(Night Lords)
    • Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #26 on: July 2, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »
two things;

Firstly, what results, and then given how late you respond, how favorable were they?

Secondly, you have far too many dreadnoughts (although my brother has 4 and my dad has another one so i can't really talk xD)

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #27 on: July 2, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »
Kabal -

My second year uni results, which determine whether or not I get to go on my year abroad study at the end of the summer.  Problem is, the date we were given was wrong; it's the 12th, not the 2nd. -_-;  Aaaargh!

Second, I've got like.... 11, a lot of them very recently!  >_>;  3 Metal ones (the "Smurf" with AC/CCW, BA with MM/CCW, and DA with TLC/ML, but the last one's missing the weapons), 2 plastic DA ones with TLC/CCW, The two Furioso Librarians I've already made, I got another plastic dread from a friend who gave me his whole 40k collection (which also included the metal smurfdread), a friend from my local GW gave me another last night, got another one from someone else down there, and I have another... 2 plastic ones on top of that, and a set of Space Crusade Dread legs/lower torso somewhere I might make into my third Furioso.  So actually nearly 13. 

...Okay, you're right, too many.  I just spent ages fitting them with magnets for the grapple, too...  But the best bit is I can technically field ALL of them with my BA army if some of them stand in for Death Company. >_>;

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #28 on: July 3, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
Hmm.  I'm not getting a lot done fast at the moment, since I'm preparing to move...  But I really want my BA done before I do (since I've heard that there are more 40k players in Kansai than when I was last there), so I'm pressing on!

Stormraven with some undercoat, and TL Multi-melta and Lascannon. 

Poked at my Sanguinary Guard, too.  Want to flat out things like their shoulderpads and swords to get a sese of the whole mini for the NMM armour. 

Finally, did a bit of work on the mini that started it all. 

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #29 on: July 4, 2010, 09:35:55 PM »
Okay, I've been busy with things that aren't modelling today (since it's double XP weekend on War For Cybertron.  >_> ) but I did take some time out to build my two Crusader/Redeemers.  There are magnets behind the front tracks, which let the frag launchers pop off so I can swap out the sponsons for Godhammer canons if I feel like it...  The sponsons are also magnetised so I can switch them out with the doors...  I like the look better with the sponsons to the rear, but Flamestorm cannons and Hurrican Bolters are both much better off with the extra inch and a half or whatever of range. :(  So this way I can play with them forward and keep them at the rear for Godhammer mode or display. :P  Similarly the hatches up top are magnetised to allow for swapping of storm bolters, heavy flamers, etc etc. 

Nothing new to the Stormraven, but I took a few pics in strong daylight to help me with reference for NMM on the engines and stuff later, which was my partner's idea. :D

Hopefully I'll spray the basecoat on the tanks and the Stormie tomorrow. 

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #30 on: July 5, 2010, 10:26:57 PM »
Okay, I've spent a few hours airbrushing all this crap thanks to chunky bits in my Mechrite red gumming up the works of my airbrush, but I wanted to post it before grabbing sleep.  :D

This is practically an entire army in and of itself... If only the JP Marines didn't have the packs, it'd probably be legal at around what, 2000? 

Furioso Libby gets some love too, finally.  He's being sprayed blue as that's the base coat for my Librarian Dreads.

And Grandpa Libby gets a base. :D  Not finished painting him yet, but I feel much better about the model now.  Every base in my army will be modelled after this one.

Mephiston, TTAC Dread, ye olde metal BA Dread, Land Raider #1.

Stormraven (which I love even more now it's red), LR 2.

LR3, plus kibble.

A lesson not to take a photo with a black background, my camera hates it.  10 JP Assault Marines, 10 without. 

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #31 on: July 6, 2010, 08:16:47 PM »
I feel a bit like like I'm posting at myself, I think this will be 6 replies by me...

So, today I did washes and highlights on 30 Assault Marines, 3 Land Raiders, a Stormraven, 2 Dreadnoughts, and Mephiston...  I'm kinda desperate to get a good selection of minis painted before I move to Japan, since I know I'll be able to get some gaming out there, but I doubt I'll be able to afford to pick up a good selection of paints. 

So, here's most of that:

As an aside, I hate painting yellow, and the yellow BA Assault Marine heads are starting to bug me. >_>;  Kinda pleased with how they've come out though. 

Stormraven, with the first inklings of some weathering. :D

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
« Reply #32 on: July 6, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
I hate painting yellow heads as well =(

What method do you use to get yellow on the assault marines heads? I've been putting Iyanden darksun down then putting sunburst yellow down with a wash of gryphonn sepia.

All your models look really cool. It looks as though you have a looooot of stuff in order to build your army from. How do you have room for it all?
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #33 on: July 6, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »
Slinky - You have the greatest avatar ever man. :D

I did a thin layer of Iyanden Darksun mixed with the Dark Flesh/orange mix I'd been highlighting everyone with, and then drybrushed pure Iyanden Darksun before washing with Gryphonne Sepia.  I'm thinking a highlight of Bleached Bone or Rotting Flesh or Deneb Stone + Iyanden, but haven't decided yet.  I might do those the slow and painful way rather than drybrushing, too...  Lately I've found that I don't like using "stock" GW colours for highlighting or shading other colours, I prefer to mix the base up or down a shade to keep some kind of continuity.  The exceptions are when I want high contrast for highlighting blacks, or NMM.

As for the second question... ahahaha.  I don't have a lot of room at all, especially considering my Transformers collection on top of my minis and Gundam models (I realised the flat had kinda reached critical mass as I just got a Grand Max...  Which I have nowhere to store). ^^;  I'm actually building a shed at my parents' place to store all my stuff while I'm off in Japan as there's not enough space in my old room there.  If my partner and current flatmate weren't also gamers/modellers, I'm sure they'd kill me (the Battle Sisters in the background of some of the pics are my partner's, for example).  As it stands, we just try not to trip over each others' minis!  I do have a lot of stuff though... I went through a massive buying spree on ebay last summer with the intention of stripping, repainting, and selling stuff, but never got round to it, so I have a LOT of raw materials, especially Marines.  That, and I seem to have a lucky gift of people giving me stuff I need for conversions if I ask nicely...  I just owe a lot of people a lot of drinks at this point. ;) In the space of one week, two separate people gave me a Baneblade and a Daemonhunters Army respectively, both insisting that I was doing THEM a favour, not the other way round... It's only that kind of stuff happening that means I can afford to keep this hobby up, actually...

Okay, ramble over!  As an aside, I'm considering the following build for an army;

Astorath (who I have but haven't painted yet)
10 man  Assault Squad in LR, Inferno Pistols X2, Sgt Power Weapon
7 man Assault Squad with JP X2, one inferno pistol each, one Sgt with PW, one with Twin Lightning Claws
Stormraven, Las and Multi-meltas
Death Company, 5 man
DC Dread.

Comes out at around 1500, ad I do have all the minis now, besides needing to model some right Dread CCW arms. 

Oh, and does anyone have any ideas about how to keep plastic arms on metal torsos?  I used to just glue them back in the day, but that doesn't cut it anymore and I keep breaking drills on my old metal Death Company minis trying to pin them...

• Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #34 on: July 7, 2010, 01:02:58 AM »
if you'r having a lot of problems just using some green stuff in between works wonders- glue the greenstuff to both sides and there you go.  The nice thing is that if it falls off in a couple of months, then you can jst scrape the greenstuff off and make the direct bond glue- idk why it works but it does O.o

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #35 on: July 7, 2010, 05:39:40 AM »
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.  I've been looking for some 1.5 mil or 2mil brass rod but don't seem to have anything right now...

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #36 on: July 7, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »
Okay, I'm now convinced that water-soluble black oil paint is the greatest thing ever.  I am so, so happy with how the Stormie is looking.

No comments about the Fenris Grey though please. :P  It's a placeholder as I work my way up to some other kind of grey for NMM engine parts etc.  Got plans for scorched metal thrusters and gun barrels...

Dark pic of the Dread in the clamps.

Mephiston, Lord of coming out too dark in photos. 

Also, I still hate painting Yellow. I also feel like a moron for trying to paint green eyes on yellow helmets...  How the hell did I think that was going to end well?  The yellow won't cover to touch up and my attempts to wipe it away smeared everything on a few helmets green.  -_-  Though for all that, my live-in Imperial Fists player is aparrently jealous of how it turned out. 

The bad news is that leaving them near an open window meant that the magnets shrank in the cold wind and broke off of the parts they were glued to...  Argh.  I don't have a drill big enough for my largest magnets to be mounted into something.  I'll have to putty them back into place. 

• Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #37 on: July 7, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »
is that a sargeant with a single LC i see? O.o his other arm is obscured by the other guy.. ok.. i had to zoom to make sure, but now i'm feeling much better.  I was about to slap you and say why spend extra for a single LC.. blah blah blah.

The yellow looks really good, but i would think black or light blue eyes would do better in this situation than green.. lol

Offline GlauG

• My CMoN Gallery!
« Reply #38 on: July 7, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »
Oh, it's definitely a pair. :)  Since I have something like 40-50 JP Assault Marines total I want to give myself a fun range of equipment between them, and TLC was first on the list after the obligatory Power Weapon Sgt.  As for the eyes, I want the eyes to be the same on everyone, and my few painted old minis, as well as my Sang Priest, have sort of blue-green eyes, so my Assault Marines are stuck with them too, silly helmets and all.  Might make an exception for Death Company...

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #39 on: July 8, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »
Awesome army GlauG =)
can you put some pics of te back of Meph on for me please?  i wnt to see how the wings attach and things.
also, that second dread looks amasing! (libby with 2 handed staff) how much to build me one? =)
GMS