News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 - Ultramarines CAD - For the Giggles, 4x HB Devastator Squad  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
I looked at Tigurius. His warlord trait lets you grant a buff to shooting. The kind that sometimes gets AP 2 or sometimes gets bonus armour penetration to a nearby unit. I looked at Divination, and was like, "Hey, ignores cover is pretty easy to get with Tiggy's special rules." I looked at 4 Heavy Bolters, in a Dev unit. I thought, that would be fun. It would also be fun, to have a Rending Thunderfire Cannon. With Twin Linked. That can opt to ignore cover. And a couple of Plasma Cannon Dreads, to baby sit them and say "No" to being assaulted.

And then I took some other stuff that I thought would be fun / I had in my collection. :) Here's what I wound up with...

1500 pts - Ultramarines CAD

165 - Chief Librarian Tigurius [Warlord]: Bolt Pistol, Psyker lv 3, Hood of Hellfire, Rod of Tigurius
185 - Devastator Squad [10]: Armorium Cherub, 4x Heavy Bolter

210 - Dreadnought [2]: 2x Plasma Cannon, 2x Storm Bolter

100 - Thunderfire Cannon:

245 - Chapter Master: Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Bike, The Shield Eternal
140 - Bike Squad [5]: 2x Grav Gun, Melta Bombs

164 - Assault Squad [7]: 2x Flamer, Veteran Sergeant, Eviscerator, 7x JP

104 - Tactical Squad [6]: Plasma Gun, Melta Bombs
  40 - Rhino: Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

104 - Tactical Squad [6]: Plasma Gun, Melta Bombs
  40 - Rhino: Storm Bolter, Dozer Blade

The idea is that the Castle can handle most any target, especially with the extra Rending being thrown around. At 24", the Dev squad can throw 18 Rending shots out there, 24 shots at 12", and it's pretty easy to give them re-rolls to hit, through the Dev Doctrine, Tactical Doctrine, and Tiggy's Primaris Prescience. When the Devs didn't have ideal targets, the TFC got Rending instead, and usually a Prescience, firing IgCo rounds and just smacking the crap out of stuff. When the Dreads had good targets, a quick Prescience gave them a boost. Tac / Dev doctrines helped the Dreads to avoid overheats. If you agree with such things. ;) It also helped the Tac squads to avoid cooking themselves.

I wound up getting a more or less perfect mission, "The Relic" in which I set up my castle in a ruin, enjoying my MEQ cover save, while I sent the "mobile" stuff forward to grab the Relic.

I managed to snag the relic, and retreat to a LOS blocking ruin... but the game went to 7 turns, and at the top of the 7th [my turn] I inflicted 0 hp on a Knight, point blank, with my twin-linked rending Dev squad. For those of you at home, that was 23 tries [One bolter had died, Tiggy has a Pistol] to rend the last HP off of that Knight, side arc even, but I didn't, and my Tac Sarge holding the Relic got stomped out of existence with a 6. And he failed to take the last HP, with a Meltabomb that hit. Oh well. :)

I really enjoy the Ultramarine chapter tactics. Getting to pick your buff for the turn is a lot of fun, and rewarding as it adds a layer of strategy / tactics to my turns.
- If I use my Tactical doctrine, then I can get a light boost to everything, but my Tactical squads aren't positioned to make maximum use of that...
- I could use the Devastator doctrine, but the Devs have poor target selection, so they can't maximise...
- I want to assault next turn, but if I use the Assault Doctrine this turn, I'll probably sweep that unit, and then next turn the Tacticals should be in position...
- I could skip using a doctrine this turn... but by the 5th turn I don't know if I'll have much use for a doctrine, as none of my unit look like they could benefit much turn 5, unless my opponent...

I really like that I get a sense of a "long term plan" unfolding in my games. Very rewarding.

So yeah, I had fun with this list, and it uses HB Devastators. I mean, really, how often do you see that? :D

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: 1500 - Ultramarines CAD - For the Giggles, 4x HB Devastator Squad
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:31:08 PM »
Sounds very cool Spectral!  This seems like a really solid list and I'm glad you enjoyed using it. :)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:01:13 PM »
That's a cool idea. Happy to see somebody get some use out of HBolter Devs! Tigurius is a great buff commander, too, and Storm of Fire is just priceless.

Yeah, the Ultramarine Doctrines are very flexible and can pay off big (assuming you don't forget about them at the start of the turn, which almost every Ultramarine player I've played since 6th Edition has done  :-\).

About the list, I'd probably say you don't *really* need 10 Devs in a squad, but then I suppose you were trying to get rending on as many guns as possible, which makes perfect sense. I saw an Assault Centurion squad get a Storm of Fire off once. Their Hurricane Bolters killed a Wraithknight in one turn. Something to behold. 

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:56:01 PM »
Yup! The 10 man was a combination of being able to maximise rending shots, coupled with lots of bodies to get in the way of Tigurius. My main opponent has been running Eldar lately, and I was worried about... attrition. The game we played he was back to White Scars + Knight, though this time he took some podded dreads because I've been running Dreads lately, and I guess they looked like fun. You can really rend the snot out of a podded Dread, with those bolters.

That said, I'm quite fond of running Dreads in squads of 2. The extra HP help to keep both alive until they can reach combat, and do they ever wreck face in combat now. While I miss the mobility of the Pods, taking 2 [and once, 3] Dreads in a squad makes for some serious punch, with enough HP spread between them to have a couple make it. Good times, what I've wanted Dreads to be for several editions. Still not as points-efficient as a Knight, I don't think, but way punchier if you actually make combat. Stomps aren't needed, when you're crushing 15 attacks on the charge, plus HOW. :D Tough to do, at half the speed, though.

If people forget the doctrines, and it can happen if you're swept up, or tired, then that sucks, but I've only had one game where I completely forgot. I had been digging out posts that day. Bought a new house, 23 year old fence, strong wind, decayed posts at ground level... Thankfully, I have lots of trees in my yard, so there were plenty of wrist-thick roots to get in the way of my digging out the concrete balasts. *shrug* First-world problems, I guess.

It was nice to play the same style of list I used to play with Guard. Some stuff to sit back, some stuff to go snag objective/s. But now I can punch stuff, too, which is awesome.