News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vanguard Space Marines?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Vanguard Space Marines?
« on: March 8, 2019, 09:05:24 AM »
So, any thoughts on the new Primaris models?

I think Infiltrators and Eliminators are really cool. Suppressors look sort of ridiculous and I can't help thinking they're going to crash from the recoil of their guns.

Do we know if these models will be available to all Space Marine factions? It looks like they're their own faction, sort of.

I'd LOVE to have Eliminators and Infiltrators as part of my Deathwatch force.

What do the rest of us think?

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Vanguard Space Marines?
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2019, 02:55:47 PM »
I like the look of the Suppressors a lot, though they just a bit goofy. I really want to buy one of those scout primaris librarian minis, even though I don't play space marines, just to paint up a cool mini.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »
I think that I saw on one of the Warhammer Community articles that the Vanguard Primaris are only going to be their own thing for a little while until the new Space Marine Codex drops. Then I assume it will spread to all of the other marine codices. Same thing for the Daemonkin, though I'm not sure if they'll end up in all of the Chaos codices like Primaris will.

We've already seen some art work with Blood Angel Vanguard Primaris, and how they look in different chapter colors too. I think they look very cool myself, but if I were to choose between chaos and new primaris, I think I'd choose the new chaos stuff :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
They kind of stuffed up the jump packs, the small ones on the new guys should go on the  old inceptors and the big jump packs from the inceptors should go on the new guys. Upgraded jump packs to deal with the extra weight of the autocannons, etc.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »
So, saw this on Naftka about Primaris Vanguard and Daemonkin Mini-Codexes. Unfortunate news for the moment, Wyddr:

Daemonkin and Vanguard Restrictions Excluded from Some Other Codexes - Faeit

It looks like Deathwatch isn't going to have immediate access to the Primaris Vanguard. At least they won't have it for the moment, not sure how that'll be going forward.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 09:36:39 PM »
I mean, I get it--Infiltrators with Special Issue Ammunition would be somewhat filthy. I just really like Phobos armor but Reivers are garbage, sooo...

I *am* somewhat irritated the Deathwatch don't have any real infiltrating units. The Teleportarium Chamber is nice, but having something that could actually *deploy* outside the DZ would be nice and pretty fluffy, I think.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
GW confirmed on their facebook page that the Vanguard marines are not going to be Deathwatch accessible from shadowspear, as the marines don't have removable shoulderpads and can't be given deathwatch parts. This fits in the theme of "No models, not rules" policy we've been seeing for a while. I imagine deathwatch will get them once the multi-part kits are coming out.

I'm hoping to get two sets, personally, for my wolves. They look amazing.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
I'll be getting the Phobos Captain for sure. He'll be great support for my 30 close combat Blood Angels scouts. I like the new infiltrators, and I think they're definitely good, but I think I get more efficiency/value out of my scouts for the points.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
GW confirmed on their facebook page that the Vanguard marines are not going to be Deathwatch accessible from shadowspear, as the marines don't have removable shoulderpads and can't be given deathwatch parts. This fits in the theme of "No models, not rules" policy we've been seeing for a while. I imagine deathwatch will get them once the multi-part kits are coming out.

I'm hoping to get two sets, personally, for my wolves. They look amazing.

Heeey, I've been wondering about what you've been up to ;D! Glad to see you around again, Squid.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:43:11 AM »
So, any thoughts on the new Primaris models?

What do the rest of us think?

I have got to say that I like all of the Vanguard models, even the Suppressors.

I will agree that there is something that doesn't quite gel in the look of the Suppressors, but the massive gun makes up for any asthetic shortfall.

The Librarian is my favourite of the bunch.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 02:22:14 AM »
I'm a little bummed out about the lack of Deathwatch availability for the new toys. I imagine that will be rectified in an FAQ once the stand-alone kits come out -- or in CA'19 at the end of the year.  Marksman Bolters with Special Issue Ammunition sounds OP and I kind of want to try it.

I guess the bigger question is whether or not the Vanguard models will be integrated into the existing Primaris Kill Team unit, or if we'll get a new Vanguard Kill Team that's made up of 5x Infiltrators + 0-5 of Suppressors, Eliminators (and maybe Reivers?).  Personally I think the Vanguard Kill Team sounds better, since the regular Kill Team is getting pretty crowded with options already.

If/when I get the new Suppressors I'm probably going to swap on the old Assault Marine jump packs instead of using the grav chute pieces. Just a personal preference, really.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »
I bought two sets of shadowspear. The vanguard marines are really cool in person. Got them all built, and sold off all the chaos ones.

I like how the mini-codex covers keyword changes for the non-codex chapters. So, my vanguard librarian gets the rune priest keyword, and dark Angels get their keywords too.

I did some head swaps with leftover bare space wolf heads I had kicking around to make them more personalized.

Just gotta finish painting all the Skaven I bought when that battletome came out, before I can start them.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Friar76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 05:15:39 AM »
I like the suppressors from a gaming standpoint and rules-wise, but my preference would be to run a mixed list of vanguard veterans, fast units from the shadowspear box set and perhaps some outriders for the faster movement in the first stages of a game.